It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist develop painless needle that mimics mosquito bite!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Scientist develop painless needle that mimics mosquito bite!

www.medindia.net

A team of Indian and Japanese scientists have created a painless "microneedle" that mimics the way a female mosquito sucks blood.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
breaking news

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I stumbled upon this right now, whilst looking for possible mosquito bite epidemic. I have 10 mosquito bites on my legs. They all appear on the side that is more to the inside. Find this very interesting though. I could not feel any bugs biting me, so I am not too surprised that they came up with a painless needle, I did not feel any pain and dont' even know when exactly I was bitten so many times. I'm boggled.

www.medindia.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is pretty interesting.

If you think about it though, people can start injecting you with things and you wouldnt even know it

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Just so long as it doesn't itch and create a bump after it's used on you. Boy would that be a backfire, eh?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sir Solomon

Got to admit, that itchy bump sure is a lot more annoying than a little pain for a few seconds... Especially if it lasts for a couple days.

Would really defeat the purpose

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Are needles rally that painful? I have had plenty in my life and I say no.

A bug bite is worse in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I feel every single mosquito bite as it happens. I even feel it when they just land on my skin.

Painless needles? Riiiight.

Yesterday I was gardening and had on gardening gloves. Various biting flies were out. I felt a prick on my hand and one of the buggers was biting me through the glove.

However, those new needles would be ideal for newborns and infants.

[edit on 7/20/2008 by Ceara]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

IIRC, the 'bump' is caused by the mosquito's spit or anesthetic, so there probably wouldn't be one with this.

For anyone who had given blood, they can tell you what a REAL needle stick is like.

25 to 27Ga needles are used on neonates. This is about the smallest size allowed for blood administration so that the turbulence won't cause the cells to lyse (break). Don't know where Wiki gets 24-26, b/c that's wrong. I should know I made a career of this stuff. Haha.

18 to 20 Ga needes are used for drawing blood. Think #2 pencil lead.

(the smaller the gauge number the bigger the opening: )

Wiki

The caliber of cannulae is commonly indicated in gauge, with 14 being a very large cannula (used in resuscitation settings) and 24-26 the smallest. The most common sizes are 16-gauge (midsize line used for blood donation and transfusion), 18- and 20-gauge (all-purpose line for infusions and blood draws), and 22-gauge (all-purpose pediatric line). 12- and 14-gauge peripheral lines actually deliver equivalent volumes of fluid faster than central lines, accounting for their popularity in emergency medicine; these lines are frequently called "large bores" or "trauma lines".

At 25-60 microns, this will be a real boon to those who have to give insulin injections. I worked on developing the first precursors to the insulin pump which would be used by those needed to give more frequent insulin administrations, many years ago.

For blood withdrawal, of course you have to have a much larger needle since it has to be larger than the diameter of a red blood cell.

But for serums and things, the small size would be fine.

Here's a handy table of sizes. A micron is the same as a micro meter.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 20-7-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
So now the military has trained mosquitos working for them eh? Fascinating stuff.

The mark of the bzzzzzzzzzt?

I just hope they don't sound like a bug when they use them on us.

I think the aliens use horse flies and deer flies for taking skin samples.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

This is one reason why some tales of being abducted and probed are a little silly.

An advanced technological race would not need to use gross methods of examination, and would use nano-probes and things like this and we'd never know a thing.

The idea that they'd have to 'land' and drag us aboard would mean they're using techniques we used back in the 'Bring 'em Back Alive' days of the 1920s and 30s.

If they wanted cattle and people by products, they'd raise their own. Of course there are reasons they'd track us in the wild, but all methods would be nano and/or gear that mimicked terrestrial forms.

But, ya never know. Maybe they like a little 'adventure'?

2 cents.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I suppose it all depends on which species or origin? There are those who make claims of over 20 different species of visitors. Some may be androids or disgruntled workers that lack bedside manners? (sounds familiar)

Our military is supposedly experimenting with insect size equipment for spying so I don't think using them to deliver a toxin or virus would be that far off either.
I have heard about those who we can't see with our eyes that supposedly walk among us. It isn't too hard to believe an advanced race has discreet ways of going about their own business around us.

I wouldn't put it past them to make us believe we fell and hurt ourselves or that nasty bug bite was an insect etc. Although, the scoop marks have become a giveaway as if abducted. I have one of these on my right shin which seemed to be of interest to a few 'alleged staff' when I was in the hospital.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well, I have 10 mosquito bites on my legs and I am positive I got them all on one night. Also, I was befuddled at the huge batch of red spots I had on both my legs, that I asked my friend if he got these too, he lives in Venice 20 miles away from me, he told me he did, and then his other friend who lives 6 blocks away from him, also got Mosquito bites. I am very confused, and wondering if anybody else is getting these mosquito bites. I have not seen one in my house either. They are really annoying. They shrunk to red dots today, they looked like big pimples now.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Ungh, you've got those too? I'm getting them, and I'm in Ontario. I don't think they're mosquitoes, I think they're spider bites. Mosquitoes will tend to avoid getting under the covers with you.

As for this needle, I've always found mosquito bites to be annoying, and have never really been perturbed by a regular needle. It's only a quick jab, then it's over. Mosquito bites are freaking annoying.
(Then again, that's because of the chemicals the mosquito excretes, and not because of the shape of the needle.)

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Pocky

You might want to do more research on abductions if you don't think this is from an insect. It almost sounds like flea bites. Here's a site about chiggers that looks like what your talking about.

www.surviveoutdoors.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
That is great news, I would not want my skin swelling up like a red little blotch as these bites have done to my skin. Most embarrassing is that they shrunk, and now they look like little pink nipples on my legs. Like pink protruding half spheres. They still itch. It is quite odd. Also what is scary is, I heard of a strange bug going around the U.K. or some part, London, maybe. Their is a picture of it. Nobody has every classified this bug. So I am asking myself if this could be the cause. I am going to hunt down that article. I saw it just 2 days ago.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by aleon1018
I suppose it all depends on which species or origin? There are those who make claims of over 20 different species of visitors. Some may be androids or disgruntled workers that lack bedside manners? (sounds familiar)

In a way, postulating that there are 20 races visiting would be 20 times more unlikely than just one race visiting. And since we now know about 'nanotechnology' and robotic probes and conservation of resources, there's a lot more going against the popular ETHypothesis, imo. (i.e. real aliens landing ships here).

One way to look on it is the 'high strangeness'. We like to have some strange in our lives. It adds drama and fun. But if real aliens were coming here they'd want to do everything to -avoid- high strangeness and drama, otherwise they get outed. So just like we use 'critter-cams' to mix in with the wildlife, they'd use (much better) cams like that to mix in with us. IOW if we know about it, then they've failed.

I mean, they could just be st00pid and inept at stalking us, IDK. But as we know if you mess with the thing you're trying to observe you change the behavior.

Again, being alien, their motives would be alien also. But here's some stuff to think about.

1. There are TOO many abductions. If one in five people have been abducted (or whatever number) then that's a billion people. WTF? Why? I'd think it should be more like one in a million. That's 6,000 abductions/year and being 'rare', they are less likely to be noticed;
2. Alien craft flying around with lights on. Big bright lights. Kaleidoscopic lights. What? That's beyond silly. We have IR, they'd have IR;
3. Landing. They come here in interstellar ships. It's likely that these would stay off planet. Why have atmospheric run-abouts? It's a waste of resources, but make for good sci-fi;
4. Physically being here. (addressed in another post above);
5. Looking like humans (though smaller and without hair);
6. Generally having 'human' motives. Tagging, showing maps to us, talking to us, etc. Alien bugs would not bother doing that;
7. Motives for contact. I think there are maybe one or two motives for friendly contact. ALL the rest would be harmful contact. Some overtly harmful, others indirectly harmful.
8. Communication. I think it's pretty likely that even if we contact an alien civ we'll not be able to communicate with them. At all. (see Brain bugs from Starship Troopers). They could care less about that.

I'm purposely taking a 'negative' point of view here just to illustrate a point about 'alienness' and stuff. But it makes a fair amount of sense, too.

Doesn't make the 'other kind' of alien contact impossible. Friendly little aliens, aliens like ALF, aliens like wookies who are cuddly, and so on. Aliens like Star Trek who look like humans but have bumpier foreheads. Sure possible.

The other important things are
1. Any space faring civ will have one priority and that's survival. To this end their primary mission in space will be to develop another base near their home which is self-sustainable and then self-reproducible. If they don't do that first, an extinction event could wipe them out or back to the stone age. Even Type II will need a robust remote base to handle Gamma-Ray Bursts. This will likely occupy them for a LONG time. They won't really have the leisure time to go looking for us.
2. Any exploration will likely be by a variation of nano-VonNeumann probes, not physical beings. Resource management will still apply.
3. Mars has no colonies on it. Habitable planets will likely be rare. If there's real estate out there then it's going to be occupied, just like Aruba when the tourists found about about it they flocked. If they're not packed knee deep on Mars (why would they hide) then they're not in our Solar System. It's only logical. To me this one is a big one. It's directly observable that there are no aliens (to speak of) on Mars. Sci-fi wants them hidden and covert, but they wouldn't bother to do that. What would they care if we can see them? We can' mess with them, we're stuck here in LEO until we solve the radiation problem. (and that may never happen). In fact I think in order to do that we'll have to evolve into something like space-crocodiles or space roaches who are immune to radiation. (yuck).

Our military is supposedly experimenting with insect size equipment for spying so I don't think using them to deliver a toxin or virus would be that far off either.

Possible.

I have heard about those who we can't see with our eyes that supposedly walk among us. It isn't too hard to believe an advanced race has discreet ways of going about their own business around us.

Sounds again, like 'Earthling' motives. Red flag that it's a myth, imo. Not impossible, but just beware it being too dramatic.

I wouldn't put it past them to make us believe we fell and hurt ourselves or that nasty bug bite was an insect etc. Although, the scoop marks have become a giveaway as if abducted. I have one of these on my right shin which seemed to be of interest to a few 'alleged staff' when I was in the hospital.

Yeah wrt scoop marks, if we can detect it that means they've failed.

2 cents.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Pocky

Yeah people are talking about Morgellons. Not sure how valid that is.

Don't want to freak you out so if you're easily freaked by this kind of thing don't read it.
en.wikipedia.org...

Probably nothing...

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
HAha, I don't get that itchy bump from mosquitoe bites.

When I was young my family did a lot of camping/fishing in northern Ontario. Could be I developed immunity to mosquito bites? Anyone else not affected?

But, ya, I don't feel them when they bite me either. So, really the only thing I hate about mosquitoes is that they always buzz around your face when you're trying to sleep.

I should rig up some kind of tube that funnels my breath away while I'm sleeping. Then the mosquitoes will buzz around the end of the tube. Voila, a good night's sleep.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Simply amazing, just imagine what's next...no needle!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
That is kind of scary though. That makes it possible fore people to inject you without feeling it. What if you are wide asleep and somebody sticks a body anesthetic or date rape, or some other crazy drug into your system? Wow, I can just imagine all the possible corruption , from this mosquito needle.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join