It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind Over Matter as Scientists Use Brainpower To Make Wishes Come True

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Mind Over Matter as Scientists Use Brainpower To Make Wishes Come True

www.telegraph.co.uk

From the Hollywood film Firefox to the television show Heroes, science fiction writers have always dreamt of the day when humans could control machines with the power of thought alone.

Now British scientists are turning the vision into reality with a device that allows objects to be manipulated with brain waves.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-7-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Now this is VERY fascinating. Being able to control things with your mind?

The conspiracy theorist in me first thinks of Corso's The Day After Roswell, where he claims the beings that crashed in Roswell had electrode-type devices interlinking themselves with their craft, and that where ever they "thought" themselves to be, they were!

Obviously we're way off that type of advancement, but this almost reminds me of the beginnings of such technologies...

To pick up the signal from the brain, the scientists use a cap fitted with electrodes that detect changes in the electrical activity produced by the neurons.

advertisement
When a person wearing the cap imagines a particular action, such as moving a hand, it produces a distinct pattern of signals that a computer learns to recognise.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-7-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Sorry, but that was the first thing to come to mind

One has to wonder if this technology can be redesigned to read brain waves as well. Perhaps a true mindreading machine is a real possibility. Really fascinating article. S&F

[edit on 19-7-2008 by Gray Fox]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
My first thought: So which pill will you take? It sounds like the beginning of being plugged into a computer network (Matrix.) I'm not more than a peon in the world of science & engineering, but just because they can doesn't mean they should.

However, I can see how this would be beneficial to paraplegics or people who are temporarily incapacitated.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
NEUROHEADSET mind control gaming headset unveiled for 2008

Miracle Mind Control! - The Thought Translation Device - Hope for ALS Patients

Yep...we are headed in that direction all right. In some applications..we are already there.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Sorry but i read about this research years ago, i'm trying to find the news in this. From monkeys controlling food deposits to the guy who could control a robotic arm with thoughts alone, this was years ago.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

You beat me to it. That gaming device was my first thought when reading the OP. I'm sure there are much greater uses for this type of tech. but none are likely to be as near and dear to my heart as hands free gaming.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
If the technology can go one way (using brain waves to control a computer) then how long until someone figures out how to throw it into reverse, using a computer to control brain waves.
If something can go one way then it can go the opposite, eg if water can become steam then steam can become water.

I am not talking a conspiracy or apocalyptic scenario here but more thinking more along the lines of medical applications such as using a reverse funtioning system to modify brain waves in dementia or alzheimer suffers for example.

[edit on 19-7-2008 by full997]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by full997

Some experimentation has been done in that area that comes to mind.

Savant for a Day

I know it's not explicitely about mind control but it deals with altering brain function in particular ways using magnetic fields.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The link does not work for me... does anyone else have problems with it?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Technically we've been using our mind to make wishes come true for centuries. All the people that have created things like the telephone, AC/DC voltage, TV, etc... They had to get the idea from somewhere, usually they dreamed it up and then they were able to make it (with some failures along the way) From my understanding anything that is created in our world must first be thought of in the thoughtspace (something between dreaming and awake). Technically everyone has this potental they just have to train it. Edison used to sit down with a ball in his hand and a metal plate under it. When Edison would drop the ball he'd wake up instantly from the noise. He also would retain all that intuition that he gained by thinking on it. The subconcious is a wonderful thing

-Aza

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
The conspiracy theorist in me first thinks of Corso's The Day After Roswell, where he claims the beings that crashed in Roswell had electrode-type devices interlinking themselves with their craft, and that where ever they "thought" themselves to be, they were!

Great post. Starred.

Uh, bit of a quibble on the Corso comment. He may have talked with linking to the control of the craft using a device, but not instantaneous travel by 'thought'. (or at the speed of thought) Not sure if you were implying that.

Even most early 'fans' of Corso think he was embellishing quite a bit, but your idea is valid and his book did talk about a head-mounted device.

Nice to see that it may actually be reality now.

What's interesting is that now in the year 2008 we actually have all the devices that Corso talked about, but claimed they were from a civilization many hundreds if not thousands of years ahead of us in technology.

Well this development gives the lie to Corso's stuff, because even with 'alleged' help, we have that only 60 years ahead of the Roswell claims.

It's my contention (not to get too far off track here) that stuff even several hundred years in advance, let alone, thousands or millions, would be so 'exotic' that we wouldn't even be able to reverse-engineer it. Even trying to disassemble something several thousand years in advance of current stuff would be completely opaque to us, most likely and we'd only be able to destroy it, not re-create it. (shrug)

As far as folks saying we had this before, the difference here is a portable wearable device, and not a giant machine bolted to the floor.

2 cents.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Azathoth

Excellent thought, and one echoed by Michio Kaku in his book about Hyperspace

Pg 332:
Imprisoned on our small planet, with only our minds and a few instruments, we have been able to decipher the laws that govern matter billions of light-years away. With infinitesimally small resources, without even leaving the solar system, we have been able to determine what happens deep inside the nuclear furnaces of a star or inside the nucleus itself.

He says that he's simply amazed that we could have come so far that we are now on the threshold of being able to explain the Universe and the UFT.

In fact this book really ties in almost everything we talk about on ATS and I think everyone on the site would expand their knowledge and understanding immensely if they read his book. Even those without a lot of advanced education can get through the majority of it. I did struggle in parts, but most of it is understandable by the layperson.

As Hawking says:

[If] we do discover a complete theory (of the UFT) it should in time be understandable in broad principle by everyone, not just a few scientists. Then we shall all, philosophers, scientists, and just ordinary people, be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I'm not good at posting videos, I hope these work.

new topics

top topics

join