It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Humans To Settle Americas Came From Europe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

First Humans To Settle Americas Came From Europe

www.sciencedaily.com

Research by a Valparaiso University geography professor and his students on the creation of Kankakee Sand Islands of Northwest Indiana is lending support to evidence that the first humans to settle the Americas came from Europe, a discovery that overturns decades of classroom lessons that nomadic tribes from Asia crossed a Bering Strait land-ice bridge. Valparaiso is a member of the Council on Undergraduate Research.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This idea has been kicked around for some time now and has even been featured on NOVA...

BUT... and this is what I love about science... the hashing out of different hypothisis to come to an overall understanding.

In a related story on ths same page:

Gene Study Supports Single Main Migration Across Bering Strait

www.sciencedaily.com...

University of Michigan scientists, working with an international team of geneticists and anthropologists, have produced new genetic evidence that's likely to hearten proponents of the land bridge theory. The study, published online in PLoS Genetics, is one of the most comprehensive analyses so far among efforts to use genetic data to shed light on the topic.

Interesting to say the least.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
here's the thing though, you got arrowheads that are 11k years old that are identical to those on Europe from the same time. So either this is a case of morphogenetic resonance, or those Europeans were travelling here.

Although, in my mind that doesn't mean that north America wasn't also settled by Asians too!

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Years ago i remember reading a story in a metal detecting magazine about archeologists who found some bones near an Indian reservation, these were tested and found to be the oldest found in the US at that time iirc? and were found to have come from around the Scandinavian area however the story went on to claim that the local American Indians protested that the bones were those of their ancestors and the archeologist's returned the bones to them and covered the site with a heavy layer of rocks so that their ancestors couldn't be disturbed.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Yeah they found some human remains that were not from native american origin older than the oldest native remains,.
However the native americans wanted them and took the museum people to court to try and get them.
And as I believe they did not get them the judge said they warranted further testing to make sure they were of native Indian tribal origin.
However after that there was some treaty to return ALL remains from the whole of America to the native Americans.
And apperantly this was supposed to apply to those remains as well yet they have not given them back.
The remains were from early europeans.
It was so long ago in some way you cant really say they settled the americas first.
Because it was a totally different time and they didn't even need boats because the land was connected.They were basically cavemen types.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

The first American arrow heads are similar to the arrow heads of the Solutrians a group of people living in France and Spain at the same time. It is believed by some that the ice age currents were much faster and the trip from Europe to America was much faster. When ice age ended the trip to America became more dangerous.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Science is ok but if science hides behind ignorance to make up for prejudice then it is just wrong all together. Let us study where the Europeans came from and dig up their graves and demand us to study their ancestors (their mothers, their fathers...their children...etc). I'm sure a lot of people would find it disrespectful if I went to your mothers or fathers grave right now and dug it up just because I needed to find out something concerning DNA.

Regardless of the distance of time the large majority of Native Americans do not lose connection to the ancestors even if it was 10,000 years ago.

I mean no disrespect to people but this is the truth.

top topics

join