It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Dakota Farmers Sue to Overturn U.S. Ban on Industrial Hemp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Hey just came across this article and thought it might make an interesting topic.

North Dakota is the only state that allows the cultivation of industrial hemp, and the state legislature recently lifted a requirement that hemp farmers first seek permits from the federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

Industrial hemp varieties include those used to produce oilseeds or fiber plants. Advocates of hemp say that the plant can be produced with very low ecological impact compared with other fiber sources, such as cotton. In addition, the hemp seed is 25 percent protein, making it second only to soy beans as a vegetable source of complete protein.

I truly believe that hemp can solve a lot of the worlds problems.

Here are some of the major environmental benefits of growing hemp:
* Fast and robust growth: Hemp grows extremely fast and can be grown in any climate, in any agronomic system
* No herbicides/pesticides required: Hemp can be grown with no (or little) herbicides, fungicides, pesticides, or other biocides.
* Suppresses weeds: Hemp is a natural weed suppressor due to the fast growth of the canopy. Actually, hemp is a weed. Because it grows so fast and densely, it blocks out sunlight to other weeds that are trying to grow.
* Improves soil structure: Due to it’s long roots, hemp replenishes soil with nutrients and nitrogen and helps control erosion of topsoil. Also, once harvested, any residue can act as an eco-friendly manure.
* Hemp produces lots of oxygen: Hemp produces the same amount of oxygen while it’s growing that it would use in carbon dioxide if burned as a fuel. Also, due to it’s leaf/root ratio (this can often be 10% roots vs 30% leaves), hemp can produce between 20% - 40% more oxygen than will be polluted.
* Cleans up pollution: Hemp can actually clean up toxins from the ground. This process is called phytoremediation. A good example of this is when hemp was used to help clean up the Chernobyl nuclear disaster site to remove radioactive elements from the ground.

btw, industrial hemp doesn't get you high...I don't understand why its illegal

Source

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I seem to remember watching a show about Hemp production in North Dakota. They were making many products out of it, including paper. I believe they had a hemp thrashing machine... I could be wrong on the name of it...

But, as hemp is a crop that can be grown across most of the nation, and the world, it should be legal. We can even make clothing. Legalized hemp would rejuvenate and bring back the modern farmer.

This reminds me of Harold and Kumar 2.
The farmer brought out a box of weed, and harold or kumar said "I didn't think farmers smoked pot" (paraphrased). "*&^& no, have you ever farmed not high, its boring as H%^&" lol

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
In this maggot ruled world some products are banned or ignored because they are simply too good and would empower people too much, making the need for centralized systems much less prevalent. I too think Hemp would rejuvenate industrialized agriculture and solve a lot of current problems, I believe that is the main reason the Hemp part exists in Nature, as one of our main source of raw materials, renewable at that.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

I agree with you 100% and that's the same reasons why we don't have FREE ENERGY!! if we had free energy would we need to work? imagine this...you have a free energy source that can power everything you would possibly need powered including your car and you grow your own food would you really need to work? That's the information the pharm and the oil companies don't want out? I do think "hemp" could cure a a lot of diseases but that's just me.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Cotton farmers use a huge amount of pesticides. Using industrial Hemp as a replacement would deprive the chemical industries of huge amounts of revenue lost to pesticides and man-made fibres such as Nylon. If I remember correctly it was lobbying by DuPont that helped to get Hemp production banned in the first place.

Hemp production would sure solve a lot of green and eco issues but will always lose out to big money and the tired old dope argument, even though industrial hemp varieties have so little of the narcotic element.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Not only is it a wonderful product with many uses, the clothing is fantastic! It lasts forever (clothing industries wouldn't like that), it doesn't require ironing and it's very pleasant to touch and feel on the skin. I LOVE hemp clothing!

More On Hemp Clothing

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I totally agree that American farmers should grow hemp, and hemp should be used instead of petrochemicals such as plastics. Ever been to a land fill? You would be surprised, 90% of the fill is plastic bags and plastic diapers. Cars can run on hemp oil, and even clothing can be made with it, I have some myself.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingIchigo
reply to post by Zepherian

I agree with you 100% and that's the same reasons why we don't have FREE ENERGY!! if we had free energy would we need to work? imagine this...you have a free energy source that can power everything you would possibly need powered including your car and you grow your own food would you really need to work? That's the information the pharm and the oil companies don't want out? I do think "hemp" could cure a a lot of diseases but that's just me.

The threshold is much lower than hypothetical free energy. Even the electric car, which has been developed in one incarnation or another since the early 20th century is too good for us. Even solar energy is too good for us. Even 4 hour work days and fair distribution of wealth is too good for us. Knowledge is too good for us.

This is what the wake up meme is about, breaking the artificial conditioning and realising the true potential of one's life. Life is not 9 to 5, its 24/7. And it is not living by some closed minded fascist's ruleset.

new topics

top topics

join