It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why it doesn't matter if the public THINKS it's ready for disclosure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I just interviewed New Realities host, Alan Steinfeld, for next week's Culture of Contact podcast. More of a series of arguments than an interview, but in any event, one thing he said that I am in total agreement with that I've not heard anyone else yet say is this:

It does not matter if you think alien disclosure would be "no big deal" because you've seen a bunch of movies and specials about UFOs and aliens and think you've got it under control. The lesson of the 9/11 attacks is that no matter how many movies we watch where buildings go BOOM, when it's real it has a devastating effect on the psyche.

Ditto that for anyone who says, "I wish I were abducted." No you don't. You only think you can handle it because when it's "out there" as an idea, a special effects movie with a beginning, middle, and end, that isn't real, you can. You can handle fiction. Don't confuse that with reality, because when you are confronted by real beings who really walk through walls and really take you somewhere else and everything you know as "grounded reality" has left you--you do NOT want that. That is the last thing you want.

Now bring on the bile from the "alien abductions aren't real, none of this is real" posters. Stop in your tracks, that's not the point. The point is, you better believe disclosure--real disclosure--would completely devastate us no matter how many polls show false contrarian bravery.

[edit on 19-7-2008 by Jeremy_Vaeni]

[edit on 19-7-2008 by Jeremy_Vaeni]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I must say I really can't agree with you. You are saying we, as a people, do not have the intelligence and understanding to accept that not only do ETs exist, but that Earth has been visited for thousands of years by them. They are more than likely our creators, and Jesus (Immanuel) was a hybrid between a Star Person and and Earthly woman. Jesus was able to walk on water, heal the sick, feed the people and was resurrected after his death). You feel that our only reality is one in which we believe only what we are lead to believe. I, for one, can be certain that we have the intelligence to handle the truth, and that it is high time for disclosure. We have been lied to for so long, that now the only seeming reality is one taught in books. You must feel there is no room for logical thinking, research, or common intellect. You may feel we have been "cowed" so long by our "leaders" and "religious teachings" that that is all there is. Many people like to think of themselves as independant thinkers and capable of handling most situations by thinking about them. I have a feeling you may be feeling that YOU may not be able to handle the truth. The more ETs, UFOs and sightings are discussed, the more plausible their existance becomes...thus there must be disclosure.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremy_Vaeni
The lesson of the 9/11 attacks is that no matter how many movies we watch where buildings go BOOM, when it's real it has a devastating effect on the psyche.

Bad example to use. Very bad example.

9/11 was a localised tragedy. A few days after it happened, many Australians didn't think twice about it any longer. Remember, for Australians, it happened on TV. How many NYC residents forget that it happened to them, as we type about it now? The public has a short memory and they move on. Is the psyche on the New York streets all that devastated today? I doubt it, they're still chasing dollars to live.

Any form of localised disclosure will not cause mass panic. I know what most Aussies would think: "Big deal, aliens landed on the White House lawn. Yawn. What's on the other channel?"

A global disclosure will unsettle many people, however, after some months, without being wiped out, people will continue to do what they do and reach for the remote control to change channels.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Jeremy_Vaeni

A contact experience could kill you right away with a heart attack. It could kill you more slowly with stress, if you can't cope with it. It could overwhelm your judgment and you could be driven to suicide over some delusion or another.

Relatives and friends of people who died from alien exposure would likely be pissed and scared. Either their friend/relative had gone crazy because the government allowed the truth to come out, or because the government was making it up. How many people will cling to that one? It might be scary to imagine your government lying to you about alien contact, but for some it would be far preferable to believe this than the truth.

This subject is deadly serious, no matter how you look at it.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Disclosure is the core need of anyone who has witnessed anything, possibly a core need built into our very dna. Its also our complete sovereign right, as those who are hired to manage our joint property are not hired to be elitist dictators who keep all the critical information to themselves, and secretively advance their science to basically entrench their techno dominion of the planet. Its ugly and is the entire reason NWO has been made possible to begin with.

While I agree that most people would be traumatized by a forced kidnapping, the message given to them concerning our planet state of affairs is very worthy. We are truly in a very precaurious situation where our entire planet is damaged by having the wrong technology in the wrong peoples hands, as well as the lives of billions. No government has the right to sit on information that belongs to the people. We really need to start taking responsibility and police our democracies until they conform to our wills.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I think if the government were to disclose that aliens exist, we could handle that because it's still not real to us deep down. We'd give a "Duh. No kidding," knee-jerk reaction.

But if aliens landed--it's not a matter of not being smart enough to "handle" it. Smarts has nothing to do with it. 9/11 is not a bad example--it's an excellent example of how we think we can handle things when they are only intellectually real (or possible) to us but not when the situation actually is the case. We mistake our reaction to fiction for our reaction to real life.

Again, I'm not talking about an intellectual reaction to facts presented to us--but the reality of having the ground underneath us pulled away.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremy_Vaeni
9/11 is not a bad example--it's an excellent example of how we think we can handle things when they are only intellectually real (or possible) to us but not when the situation actually is the case. We mistake our reaction to fiction for our reaction to real life.

9/11 is a terrible example.

After one year, people in NY moved on. Everything was cleared away and no big deal.

Now, nearly seven years later, I bet there would be few people who would remember WHEN it happened, until they turn on the TV and see the memorial service on the news.

The only way that 9/11 would have been a good example, is if the people NEVER got over it - but they have.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremy_Vaeni

I disagree with the premise.

More than 50% of the American people think we have been lied to about what happened at Roswell in '47 and the percentage is going up all the time because of demographics and the internet getting the word out.

Are we handling it ok? Well, yeh. Heard of any suicides because people can't handle the thought? The thought that there are superior beings flying around.\? Hasn't mankind always believed in superior beings? Now we call them Greys or Pleadians, we used to call them gods or angels.

I hope I don't see any aliens tonight in my bedroom because I probably couldn't handle that very well. Who could without a big adrenalin rush? But the thought that they are here and always have been is not a biggie.

The reason that the governments don't just come out and admit what is going on is more that they think we are not supposed to know for sure for whatever silly reason.

Seeing an interviewing with GW and an ET would get the news for a week then we would be back to agrueing about Iraque or the oil chrisis.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

It is my understanding that being in the presence of an ET involves more than a shock over its appearance. Sgt. Clifford Stone said some things in the Project Camelot interview that gave me pause. You know how a professional poker player has that skill of reading micro-expressions, or "tells"? Apparently, ET is able to read you inside and out. What if ET is able to see things inside you that you have kept hidden from yourself? What if it all comes bubbling up to the surface when you are in its presence? For some, this would be ok. For others...

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
To be honest, i dont think anyone really knows how the world will react in the event of disclosure until it actually happens. We have a good idea but until it happens that is all that it will be ...ideas. Personally i would welcome Disclosure as we need to have our collective heads banged together and be told there are more important things out there than our petty squabbling here on Earth!. I also think we need to be investing in settling down on the Moon and Mars and look at exploring out there given the environmental damage to Earth being done. At the moment we have no incentive, but Disclosure just might make us look to the heavens and decide to leave the Earth for pastures new.

Do i think Disclosure is comming? Yes i do. Alot of things have come out in the last 2/3 years ie Mars, Moon etc and all the discoveries. Not to mention more widespread media coverage. I call it Cosmic Journey Mk2. That is a reference to what Timothy Good wrote in his book Ailen Liason (i think) in which there had been a planned disclosure event in the early 1990's but it was cancelled. Disclosure cant be any worse then the situation on Earth right now. We are living in threat of a new world war. It cant get any worse !!! So i am all for disclsoure

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Sorry but no, we've not moved on unscathed. This whole country has not moved on unscathed. The Bush crimes of the last 8 years happened because of our shell shock. Most Americans believe that 9/11 "changed everything" because we had to wake up out of isolation and, for a minute, arrogance. (Of course the arrogance snapped right back into place.)

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

I don't think life would go on as normal if we saw Bush shake hands with an alien. Of course few have a problem with Roswell being a crash because right now it's still an idea. it's still a fiction in the mind of the person saying "I'd have no problem if Roswell was an alien crash. It would be different if we actually knew that had happened and then suddenly there were mass landings.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who think that if Jason from "Friday The 13th" were real, they'd just kick the crap out of him and run or somehow be smart enough to escape.

We always have the choice to be fearless in our imagination.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
So how do those that 'know' handle it?... Are they superior to the average human being?... elite?... mentally and physically trained to handle what normal people couldn't?

PLEASE!!

I'm sorry, but I find the whole premise that society couldn't handle disclosure at best laughable, at worst INSULTING.

That certain elements in society wouldn't like it is a given. Those with a vested interest in the status quo: Those in power, religious institutions, those who can't stand someone of a different race or colour (I can imagine the intolerance & hatred they would have for a totally alien species). But those are not valid reasons to stick our collective heads in the sand.

The bottom dollar is, the human spirit can adapt to just about any change in circumstance and unimaginable levels of adversity. Think of those who lived and fought in two world wars, had their world turned upside down, and survived several years of bombs raining down on their head... the world didn't end, and people survived and coped.

To live a lie just because the truth might spoil the status quo is, in my view, both unacceptable and demeaning to humanity as a whole! Unless we know, AND FACE. the truth (whatever it might be) we are going to be condemned to reliving and repeating the mistakes of the last few thousand years.

I could go on, but suffice to say I really don't agree with OP's view

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dagar
So how do those that 'know' handle it?.

Well we don't really know who that is or what they know do we? Outside of abductees. And we usually handle it by screaming and crying and soiling ourselves. So there's that.

top topics

join