It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have been a Christian all my life...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by shug7272

look, im not even going to bother, believe what you like.

you formula for reply seems to be

-ignore what i say
-restate your op.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by shug7272

I somehow missed the part where you make a point.
You say that at one time you thought the Bible was good.
You seem to have problems with the laws, in particular.
You should look up what states, today have hanging as the punishment for stealing a horse.
I listened to a show on the radio, a while back, about a man who bought a horse, then had the person who sold it claimed they did not.
So, the cop told the man that in this state, that is a hanging offense.
One thing the Law of God, in the Bible, does not do is give death for simple theft.
Another interesting thing is how someone who is your enemy and would kill in an open battle, you are not allowed to lie in wait for that person, and kill by stealth.
Study the Law to understand the mind of God.
Griping about it is not productive.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
if a movie were ever to be made about the old testament it would basically be a snuff film

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Honestly, shug, I find it hard to believe you were ever a Christian. If you were, you would have read the Bible sometime. It looks like you just found an anti-Christian website, liked it, and decided to post your favorites here. If you want to say there's something wrong with the Bible, just do it, don't try to role-play.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I was raised a Christian in a very devout family. Our religion was at the center of our existence and we attended church 3 times per week. We read the bible, went to bible school and church camp.

At 6 years old, I asked my mother this very question.

Originally posted by shug7272
Why did God not make himself known to African Tribes or ancient civilizations? Why must they all suffer in hell because of when and where they were born.

I honestly remember asking some of the same questions you ask here and always received some sort of non-answer, as you have here. Like, "We weren't meant to understand" or "It's God's will" or "That's not really what it means." (Well, if that's not what it means, then why does it say that??? Is this a trick of some kind? A test?) And yes, that was another non-answer. "It's a test"...

Over the years, I had to face the reality of the crux of my questions and make a decision to be true to myself and let go of religion and the whole idea of God and the bible and the Story. But it took years.

I'm sorry, I can't answer any of your questions. I just wanted to let you know that in my opinion, it's good to ask and wonder about this stuff.

Good luck in your search.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
You are failing to realize the OT laws were written for BC era primitive people. The world was quite different back then. It was harsh and survival was brutal. Gods laws for the Jews are a reflection of the times and environment. Also there was no Holy Spirit on the earth until Pentecost. The Holy Spirit is a restrainer and is part of the reason for a paradigm shift since the new testament. God did not change our circumstances did.

Miriam did an excellent job explaining it all... maybe you should try to read it.

[edit on 7/20/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The "times were different" claim is ridiculous because God knew what times would be like today and the Bible is the word of GOD!!! If he wanted his word to change at a later date he would have said so. Christians just seem to flat out ignore/distort/change the words of the Bible they dont like when that is in DIRECT CONFLICT with what the Bible says to do. Wow... Just wow.

Its not the word of man, it is the word of God. If you believe it is the word of man then you are worshiping a man.

The LONG post that hit me on each subject tried to "translate" what the bible "really meant" when my OP is just quotes. It is what the BIBLE REALLY SAYS. Period. Seems many of the people in here cant grasp that.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by shug7272]

[edit on 23-7-2008 by shug7272]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
well for me and sorry to spoil your joy, science has proved in many ways that the bible is full of crap along with the other prophecies, i feel sorry for people that are brainwashed from birth to believe in this nonsensicle bull crap, but thats just my opinion and im sorry if ive offended anyone

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by altered_states
well for me and sorry to spoil your joy, science has proved in many ways that the bible is full of crap along with the other prophecies, i feel sorry for people that are brainwashed from birth to believe in this nonsensicle bull crap, but thats just my opinion and im sorry if ive offended anyone

How could you have offended anyone? You only said that I am brainwashed you called my bible crap and my belief in Christianity "nonsensical bull crap".

You seem like a very tolerant person that should be proud in the "fact" that you know better than 90% of the earths population.

Thanks for sharing....

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

How could you have offended anyone? You only said that I am brainwashed you called my bible crap and my belief in Christianity "nonsensical bull crap".

You seem like a very tolerant person that should be proud in the "fact" that you know better than 90% of the earths population.

Thanks for sharing....

ha ha like a true christian, well you have to believe in somthing, there is no malice or i dont mean to be malicious and i am sorry if i have offended anyone, these are just my views about the BIBLE(S)

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

/quote]

The reason it may be 90% of the population is because from being very young thats all people have known and been brought up to know which in my opinion is wrong , I feel people should be able to make there own choices and live to find out to make there own desision , sorry this is off topic

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by altered_states

The reason it may be 90% of the population is because from being very young thats all people have known and been brought up to know which in my opinion is wrong , I feel people should be able to make there own choices and live to find out to make there own desision , sorry this is off topic

My guess is that you do not go to church.
If you did go, you would find out how wrong that statement is.
There are tons of stories about how people would seek out religion, who grew up not knowing anything about it.
Also stories of people who have sought religion against threat of violence or death.
These are not brainwashed people who do not know any better.
People without religion feel an emptiness that seeks satisfaction that can only be fulfilled with a knowledge of God that comes from the Bible.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

My guess is that you do not go to church.
If you did go, you would find out how wrong that statement is.
There are tons of stories about how people would seek out religion, who grew up not knowing anything about it.
Also stories of people who have sought religion against threat of violence or death.
These are not brainwashed people who do not know any better.
People without religion feel an emptiness that seeks satisfaction that can only be fulfilled with a knowledge of God that comes from the Bible.

so can you explain why the majority of christian religion or believers are poor and also dying and the fact that if there were a god why the heck is he doin nothing about it? or does god work in mysterious ways

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

/quote]

yes i understand what you are saying but these people are actually being brainwashed by a book yes a book without seeing with there own eyes the god that supposed to be there, i mean its like reading the hobbit and actually believing it, can you actually say that youve seen god and could you describe him? for me and i must apologise to any christian if i have offended in any way(which i have not set out to do so) think god is just an old theory

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

so can you explain why the majority of christian religion or believers are poor and also dying and the fact that if there were a god why the heck is he doin nothing about it? or does god work in mysterious ways

God is, you just do not know about it.
You should go join your local church community service organization, and find out about it.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   

You should go join your local church community service organization, and find out about it.

why is dinosaurs not mentioned in the bible, or mobile phones or laptops that so many people use you would think a book like the bible would mention something like that

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

so why is there more than one bible?why is there many different ones?why could there not be just one, what about the story of jesus and two loafs of bread and five fish to feed 2000 people? somehow pal i just dont think so do your maths and the amount of food 1 person would get would be so minute it wouldnt feed a ladybird

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
You see God cannot be stupid enought to blatantly contradict himself.

Actually he can, and does. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Why don't you actually provide an argument instead of relying in unfalsifiable statements? "God is, you just do not know about it". That's an incredibly ignorant and nonconstructive thing to say.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing....

As the great Daniel Dennett once said, there is no non-offensive way to tell somebody that they've been wasting their entire life on religion. But that doesn't mean you should leave them in the dark and not tell them.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join