It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Signs the Animal Kingdom Is Out of Whack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

8 Signs the Animal Kingdom Is Out of Whack

news.yahoo.com

A polar bear clinging to a melting iceberg may the poster child for global warming, but rising temperatures, pollution and other human activity are also affecting the animal kingdom in far subtler ways. Like the proverbial canary in the coal mine, the natural world could be giving us other signs that human intervention has knocked it way off kilter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Sad but true...i have also read in other articles how the polar bears are going to be the first mammal extinct from global warming.Having to travel on ice floats to get its food,now it has to swim farther then 50 miles.They will either die of drowning or starvation.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

I undertand that there is a volcano underneath the artic causing this ice melting, and from what I have read, the whole solar system is warming up too. I believe what they say about our sun and planets heating up, google it. Its not the cause from green house gasses. The plantet is heating up just like the rest of them in our solar system. I hope you find the truth, cause its out there in plain site.

[edit on 7/18/2008 by zman]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by zman

There may be truth to the notion of the sun warming or a volcano warming the arctic. But to assume that humans are having no impact whatsoever on our environment is absured.

Lets avoid the whole greenhouse gas thing for a minute and just look at the research regarding the vast amount of harmful chemicals that are being pumped into the environment. All the anti-bacterial soaps, cleaners, and other toxic chemicals that consumers regularly dump down the drain.

Many of these chemicals are man-made and do not have a counterpart in the environment to break them down, so they continue to accumulate, causing birth defects and cancer.

I can accept people having other theories for the warming of the earth but to assume that humans are not able to have an impact on the environment is just plain foolish.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Man-made Global warming is a hoax.
Talk about beating a dead horse.
Polar bear population is increasing.
Ice sheets are increasing.
The weather guessers are doing just that, guessing.
Global warming proponents remind me of the bumper stickers that say "If you're living like there is no God, I hope you're right."
I keep my energy use to a minimum for economy, If Gore can afford his Tennessee mansion power bill, good for you, Al.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Countless species have died out in the past. There were no humans then.

I have no idea why animals getting wiped out is being taken so seriously. Nature is like this. It finds a balance.

Moreover, fortunately there is man, and he has a capability to preserve the DNA of each and every animal. When the favorable conditions return we can re-create the polar bears or whatever with ease.

Still, the humans are tiny compared to Nature. The cause of climate change is something more natural and is nothing new.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocksolidbrain

I have no idea why animals getting wiped out is being taken so seriously. Nature is like this. It finds a balance.

Earth will survive for sure but will Man? He is part of nature even though he thinks he can control it.
Remember compared to the Dinos Mans history is but a drop in the bucket.

" Nature " Might just decide Man is too much trouble

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocksolidbrain

Moreover, fortunately there is man, and he has a capability to preserve the DNA of each and every animal. When the favorable conditions return we can re-create the polar bears or whatever with ease.

Still, the humans are tiny compared to Nature. The cause of climate change is something more natural and is nothing new.

You are right nature finds a balance. The problem with that being that sometimes the balace is at the expense of some or most of the inhabitants.
Again the article also touches on the vast number of pollutants that we push into the environment. Like i said, there is nothing wrong with coming up with alternate theories to global warming/climate change but to assume that we have no effect on the environment in other ways is very short sighted.
Gasoline in this country used to have very high levels of lead and after about 60 years of using this fuel, we started to see higher lead rates all throughtout the environement. This is just one example of how we can have an effect on the environment and just because nature will find a way to balance things out doesnt meant that I want to be a part of that process.

That balancing effect, could lead to our own extinction.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LAUGHING-CAT
Man-made Global warming is a hoax.
Talk about beating a dead horse.
Polar bear population is increasing.
Ice sheets are increasing.
The weather guessers are doing just that, guessing.
Global warming proponents remind me of the bumper stickers that say "If you're living like there is no God, I hope you're right."
I keep my energy use to a minimum for economy, If Gore can afford his Tennessee mansion power bill, good for you, Al.

Can you provide links to:

-Polar bear population is increasing
-Ice sheets are increasing

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Tried to send a U2U, flood control is happening.
If you didn't get it, U2U back, I'll re-send.(don't want to tie up the thread)
In the mean time, I am a luddite (love that word) with links and such so I cant give a direct link.
I will say that, overall, the G-warming people are terribly aggressive and their science is question, to be kind about it.
There are alot of scientists that have alot of grant money on the line to speak their mind freely.
Sickening, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
1: Wolverines eat all the beavers then all get drowned because they can't repair the dams without the beavers

2: Mice start experimenting on scientists

3: George Bush and Ahmadenijad are both carried away by giant Owls

4: Cats start smoking a rock form of catnip

5: Penguins all mysteriously move to the south of france

6: Pikachu is found to be a real species living in the himalayas

7: World wide all birds migrate to Bratislava and crap at the same time

8: Dogs learn to use house keys in preperation for our demise

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

So, do we even get a list of the 8 things to watch for?

And, why do people point to polar bears? We have more polar bears now than we have had in the past (since we've been counting). With their numbers increasing, how can we now put them on the endangered species list?

With this logic, shouldn't we add ourselves to the list?

Also, please include some of the list of 8, if you are going to use that as a title, otherwise I view this as a useless thread with a title that is interesting, but in which I quickly lose interest, because the thread has little to do with the title........ wasted time......

And, don't polar bears normally live on the edge of the ice? I mean, thats where they have to live in order to hunt for the seals, who swim in the water. So, for the polar bears to be close to the water... and watch out they might drown... this is just scare tactics......

I think we should be able to eat Polar Bears, Seals... whatever..... I would rather we eat animals, than people dieing of starvation... People mean more than animals... sorry...

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ThreeDeuce

Perhaps you should read the very interesting article the OP posted.
I found it sad and scary. Star and Flag OP.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
imho, the OP should include at least a small summary of pertinent information on the article given, not just the lame introductory paragraph, which fails to point to the title. If someone reads this post, all they get for the 8 reasons, are modus's 8 reasons (which I would like to add are hilarious).

When I read this post, I hear the normal drudgery of polar bears /tear /tear.... and some junk about a canary in a coal mine.

So, am i to assume that these are two of the eight signs that the animal kingdom is out of whack.

According to the information given by the OP, I can assume

Sign 1: Polar bears living on the melting icecap (even though we have larger numbers now than ever before)

Sign 2: Canaries in a coal mine. (which obviously is not a sign, just useless drabble)

What would make me want to read this article? I have found nothing interesting or even persuasive in the OP. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the OP is supposed to gain interest in the topic, and provide a summary of the information, Not just a junk title.

What if all threads were pertinent titles, and link to articles? That would be a huge waste of time on ATS.......... kind of like this thread.....

Oh wait, we aren't wasting time, there are polar bears dieing...... but wait... humans are dieing too....

If there was a polar bear that you could feed to keep alive, and a human that you could feed to keep alive, which would you let live, and which would you kill? Would you let the polar bear eat you in order for it to live?

I understand conservation and the need to protect our environment. But there is such a thing as too far, and too protective.......

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Let me post what the OP should

Here are the 8 signs outlined in the article

1: Early Migration of Birds
2: Jellyfish Rule ?!?
3: Food Web Contaminated
4. Animals Heading for the Hills:
5. Penguins in Peril
6. Sea-Life Shift
7. Migrating Parasites:
8. Food Shortages

There you go.. brief summary... and I fail to see the importance of some of these..... Oh no Jellyfish!!!! lol.. no wonder the OP didn't post it....

Here is the number 2 sign, in full detail from the site.
2: Jellyfish Rule: An outbreak of jellyfish in oceans across the planet has resulted from the stinging creatures hitching rides on ships that circumnavigate the globe. In fact, studies suggest that almost a quarter of all marine species in international harbors are alien transplants, thanks to human-assisted dispersal.

I fail to see how jellyfish provoke fear into the heart of man. Oh no certain species are being transported on ships. I fail to see this importance. Man has ALWAYS transported species across the globe, not just in current times. And species have always hitched rides on ships. Even Columbus had barnacles.

Wait... I figured out the entire post. We should blame Colombus for global warming.... what a jerk!

[edit on 19-7-2008 by ThreeDeuce]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
You guys haven't been researching the Wildlands Project have you?

It's a UN-run program.

Wildlands Project

Go read what they do, and then go back and read every animal-heavy article out there and see how it all fits together.

And too many people assume that while there are environmental changes and an animal dies or becomes extinct, nature is actually very resilient and will bounce back. Too many people assume evolution does not exist.

No one put up pamphlets or gave speeches when the dinosaurs went away. Or spewed media warnings about whatever it was the caused the dinosaurs to disappear. No one gives $1 a day or buys a stuffed toy made in China for the dinosaurs.

Yes I'm being sarcastic. While I like polar bears and don't like to see them floating on ice chunks, I know that nature does what she thinks is best. And we shouldn't assume that all the animals that are on the planet now have always been there or always will be, because clearly that's not the case. Why freak out and "save" animals that are here now, when there were other types long before man ever showed up that died out naturally and without human interference.

Is man so arrogant that he thinks he knows everything and should make other humans follow his advice? One man cannot possibly know everything about anything.

There are things we know, and things we know we don't know, and things we don't know the possibility thereof. And nature is smarter than all of us.

We should work with nature, and stop trying to change it. i.e. HAARP, nuclear stuff, etc.

[edit on 7/19/2008 by Ceara]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Humans beings are trashing the atmosphere and allowing enormous amounts of garbage to collect and float around in the oceans, this is obviously a bad thing and should be dealt with. However, if all the planets in our solar system are warming, we have to stop with the nonsense that humans CAUSE global warming and clean up our act in ways that are practical and can be done to offset the effects of the atmosphere being warmed by the solar cycle, that would be responsible and reasonable. Fat chance.

How is a bloody carbon tax supposed to clean up the oceans? Gimme a break. That would find its way into somebody's pocket no doubt.

I don't believe we need fossil fuel for our energy needs. This is the biggest scam of all. Why argue about who causes what-just deal with the results, demand alternatives to fossil fuel and be done with it.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
That article is classic Global Warming feces. Take a bunch of baseless claims about supposed warming (though a lot of data suggests otherwise, and that's not even touching the whole subject of, if supposed warming is real, what part humans might play) and toss in a little bit of truth about pollution, which is a very different topic, and cover it all in a steamy hot mess of fear. The only thing more disgusting is the fact that thousands will eat it up without asking a single question.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Interesting how the real facts on the ground, often contradict those of the Left Wing Media. I live in Alaska and often travel throughout isolated areas, which is most of Alaska.

Record, unexpectedly large salmon runs have been the norm in recent years, leaving the biologists silent and scratching their heads as to why their predictions of doom and gloom seem to have been a fantasy.

Caribou Herds are many-fold larger than they were in the pre-pipeline
days.

The trees have recovered from the cyclical beetle kill as they always do despite Hillary Clinton's lies about "devistation as far as the eye can see". Lying seems to run in that family.

Wolf Packs are abundant and way over populated in many areas.

Moose are so abundant we even have a thousand or so living in the Anchorage City limits. I have 3 living in my neighborhood.

Black Bear are numerous and we have hundreds living just within Anchorage not to mention the overly large population of Brown Bear that surround us. The inland Grizzlies are also abundant due to the large food supply.

Polar Bear have become so numerous on the North Slope that the Slope Workers tell me they now have to post armed guards to even be able to work. You see Polar Bear are walking killing machines. If it moves they eat it and the Caribou are abundant, so being normal animals they are adapting to eating more of the overpopulated Caribou to supplement their diet of sea-life.

Seals, Walrus and others are rebounding nicely.

Nearly all of Alaska is untouched by human footprint and the wildlife near the oil infrastructure and pipelines have INCREASED IN NUMBERS and suffered zero harm.

Last summer was quite cool and this spring was even more so. Now this summer is the coolest in my memory and we have had almost no warm days and many 5 degrees below normal, in fact most. If there is Global Warming, it is not happening here.

We now have a cadre of radical Sierra Club types, who do not live here in Alaska in a concerted effort to reduce our population and destroy our economy. They will stoop to any lie to do this and are spending many millions running ads here that are pure fabrications. They have turned Congress into their little servants by flooding them with money and now control much of our government and courts. Since science is no longer pure and scientists wallow at the money trough with the other pigs, they of course bend over backward to accommodate this tiny percentage of our population which controls nearly everything.

Pelosi is bought and paid for and even though nearly 80% of us want the drilling to start, she refuses to allow a vote. She is a defacto Dictator as nothing can get through Congress without her say. She only represents the extreme Far Left in the San Francisco area but controls the whole country now.

If people don't wake up these extremists are going to take over completely and our economy will fail as these phonies sell us down the river.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join