It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychiatry Exposed? - Doctors claim psychiatry is a HOAX

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Read all post and am amazed! That you True Light, know no one with a mental illness. Let me give you a first hand look.

I have bipolar 1 disorder classic bipolar disease. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt it is REAL!! and guess what it isn't FUN! There is no cure,
but with the proper medication it is manageable. Medication is the KEY to maintaining emotional balance for people with serious mood disorders and psychotic disorders. One of the greatest challenges people with bipolar disorder face is medication compliance! I should know, that is what 4 hospitalizations taught me. I'm one of the fortunate ones some don't make it!
You asked "how these people could be harmful to themselves?" Let me tell
you. A staggering 25% commit suicide because they can't take it. Do not think for one minute we have some superhero abilities and we are tapping into some"magic" reality! There is nothing magical about being so paranoid you rip the wires from your wall because you are convinced there is a hidden camera. Or you tear the leather seats, dashboard, and all wiring from your car because you believe it is bugged. Or you threaten to kill the person who means the very most to you! These are just some of the scenarios Bipolar disorder can lead to. So when a wonderful Dr. offered me a pill I took it! And I'm alive today because someone cared enough to help.

So before you claim that bipolar disorder is a made-up disease, I challenge
you to spend a few minutes interviewing the people that live with it.

[edit on 24-10-2008 by paxnatus]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Back in the fifties, the DSM only had fifty or sixty diagnosable "mental illnesses," now it's like 250!!! They label everything a "mental disorder" nowadays.

Well perhaps it's simply because back then the disorders simply weren't discovered yet.

New things tend to be discovered as time goes on. It's one of those laws of the universe. We don't know everything right from the start. This applies to anything.

[edit on 25-10-2008 by Kwapp]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus

So before you claim that bipolar disorder is a made-up disease, I challenge
you to spend a few minutes interviewing the people that live with it.

Modern psychology is science based, not theory based like early psychology, such as Freud's "sex and aggression" theories.

Modern psychology and psychiatry can be tested and verified with tests.

There's nothing being made up.There's no conspiracy. Paxnatus is correct.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueLight

Starred !

Flagged !

Brilliant brilliant brilliant long-overdue thread and OP !

Wish I could give you a hundred stars and flags

would pay for them from my existing points !

Thank you for posting this

Psychiatry/psychology = fringe science = quack pseudo 'medicine'

I watched Woody Allen being interviewed on a Parkinson show
Anyone remember Mr.Allen's exact statement ? Did he say he'd been in
'therapy' for 30 plus years ?

Marlon Brando. Anyone remember how long he claimed he'd 'been in therapy ' ? Was it around 30 plus years also ?

Diane Keaton being interviewed on tv a year or so ago .. the one where she said 'fcuk' .... how long did she say she'd been 'in therapy' ... decades ?

Were these high-profile 'celebrities' and others used to promote the fringe science that is 'psychiatry' ? Are they good advertisements for psychiatry ? Are psychiatrists themselves a good advertisement for psychiatry ? Was Freud a good advertisement for psychiatry ?

Is 'being in therapy' still 'trendy' ? Or is it now passe and are psychiatrists having to earn their shekels by claiming to 'treat' institution cases, such as prisoners and other wards of State ?

30 plus years 'in therapy' ? What are psychiatrists claiming to be 'fixing' with these long-term patients ? Isn't the fact the 'treatment' is at 30 years and still grinding on, proof that psychiatry doesn't live up to its propaganda ?

A lifetime 'in therapy' ? What the ... ?

Doesn't psychiatry simply render self-absorbed narcissists perennial children ?

Doesn't psychiatry simply encourage AND PROFIT FROM, self-absorption on the part of the 'patient' ?

Doesn't 'being in therapy' really mean people are paying other people to sit still and listen to and concentrate upon, themselves ?

Isn't 'being in therapy' merely the act of paying to have a captive-audience, X-number of hours per week ?

Psychiatry, for the average 'non famous' individual, entails having distressing incidents and memories dredged to the surface .. after which the 'patient' is tossed out onto the street when 'the hour is up' .. with their nerve-ends jangling in the winds and ten times more distressed than before they commenced 'therapy'.

What a CON is psychiatry !

Snake oil peddlers

Carpet-baggers

Shameless exploiters of peoples' vanity, self-absorption, narcissism and circumstances.

Psychiatrists = parasites

Psychiatrists = con-men who stick together, promote a non-science and make it up as they go along ... for money .. what else.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
And having seen countless threads like this in other fora

I know without looking that dozens are going to post in

self righteous, indignant protest .... citing (of course) THEMSELVES

and THEIR plethora of 'conditions' as comprising 'proof' that

psychiatry is valid, valuable

And in citing THEMSELVES as 'evidence' of the worthwhileness of

psychiatry .... they of COURSE get to talk about THEMSELVES

some more !

I foresee this being a long thread, filled with lots of 'me' posts .. sigh

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
And having seen countless threads like this in other fora

I know without looking that dozens are going to post in

self righteous, indignant protest .... citing (of course) THEMSELVES

and THEIR plethora of 'conditions' as comprising 'proof' that

psychiatry is valid, valuable

And in citing THEMSELVES as 'evidence' of the worthwhileness of

psychiatry .... they of COURSE get to talk about THEMSELVES

some more !

I foresee this being a long thread, filled with lots of 'me' posts .. sigh

First you need a basic course in Science: Psychiatrist' are M.D.'s
giving them a license to prescribe meds. Psychologist have a PH.D meaning
they have a Doctorate in the Philosophy of Psychology.

Now that you can see the difference I will tell you what Kwapp posted regarding the Science of Psychiatry is true. It can be tested and verified.

Regarding why "some people post their own experiences." I did not post my experience to stroke my own ego or to be self righteous. I shared my experience due to the blatant ignorance that was being written on this subject based on pure fallacy. More importantly I shared because I recognized the grave danger of convincing someone whom is mentally ill,
that there is nothing wrong with them and they do not NEED to take their
medication. To state or even elude to that fact is irresponsible at best.

It is quite obvious by the way you rambled on that you are the epitome
of a narcissist. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but you are NOT
the authority on bipolar disorder. You would appear more mature and less
child like if you knew anything of which you spoke.

I challenge you to educate yourself on the subject from reputable websites. Do research,talk to people that suffer with mental illness then come back here and share what you have learned. Do not let that which you do not know scare you. Knowledge is power. If you are unwilling to do so then do not condescend me or anyone else on these boards. It only makes you look like a fool!

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Very well put.

I must say I am a bit speechless at the moment. I can agree that some mental illnesses may be made up to explain away some symptoms, but the majority of mental illnesses are very real. I have seen with my own eyes someone who suffered from schizophrenia, not a pretty sight from the outside looking in and I can only imagine the hell they lived through everyday. This is only one example, but rest assured that mental illnesses, for the most part, are very real.

Are some people prescribed drugs that they don't need? Sure. Do some drugs used to treat mental illnesses have very serious side effects? Sure, but honestly what doesn't nowadays? But are there people who need medication in order to lead a somewhat normal life? Absolutely. Is psychiatry a hoax? Absolutely not.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Okay, I actually watched the video the OP referred to. It was indeed a piece of crap, with no cogent point or argument.

So there are no specific biological tests to prove someone has a mental illness? So what? There are no diagnostic tests for Alzheimer's that don't involve performing an autopsy – shall we refuse to treat Alzheimer's patients until we can prove they are diseased?

There are a myriad of other tests that can be used to assess a psychiatric patient; they are tested as to orientation to reality, observed for flatness or exaggeration of affect, etcetera. Just because it doesn't show up on an xray, does not mean that there are no guidelines for diagnosis.

So psychiatrists won't claim that they can "cure" their patients? Is that really a big problem? Psychiatric illnesses, by and large, are chronic illnesses. Just like many "physical" illnesses. Symptoms can be managed, support can be given, remission can be achieved, but there is no cure.

I think I counted 4 doctors in the video expressing the opinion that psychiatry/psychology are hoaxes. I bet I could find 4 other doctors to claim that psychiatry is a valid science. In fact, since they labeled all the people they interviewed leaving the APA convention as "psychiatrist"; right there are more than 4 M.D.s who not only think psychiatry is valid, but have devoted their lives to practicing it.

Dock6, I'm glad you think this is a long overdue thread, but perhaps you didn't notice it's been around since July. Since it's now October, I question how "overdue" it could have been. Not to mention that you seem able and willing to predict how it will proceed, which suggests that you (like me and many others) have in fact seen a number of anti-psychiatric threads on ATS. The OP in fact is just spouting what seems to be the accepted line these days.

Since you predicted, I will comply: I have major depressive disorder. My life has been saved by antidepressants.

Now, before you accuse me of being a spoiled whiny product of the last quarter of the twentieth century, I would point out that my grandfather, who grew up during the Great Depression, spent much of his adult life institutionalized for depression and eventually killed himself. His father also was institutionalized on and off through his adulthood, and died in a mental institution.

I think that's pretty suggestive of a genetic tendency toward depression in my family, and I attribute the fact that I have been able to spend my entire life outside of mental institutions in large part to the relatively greater availability and acceptance of psychiatric and psychological help, and to new antidepressants which simply did not exist in time for my forebears.

I share this, very personal and painful, information because when I read posts like the OPs or like yours I become concerned that someone like me might read them. When my depression is bad, the most prominent thoughts for me are that I can't tell anyone because they will worry, or because I don't deserve help, or because I'm insufficiently grateful for how good my life is, or because if I tell someone it means I'm just seeking attention.

I don't doubt that some people are diagnosed unnecessarily and prescribed unnecessary drugs, nor do I doubt that some of the people who complain of depression or other disorders do so for attention. But I know without doubt that writing off mental illness and the people who treat it as a hoax is not only factually wrong, but ethically and morally wrong also.

[edit on 10/25/08 by americandingbat]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Thank you Americandingbat for sharing your personal painful story. I'm
sorry for the tragedy in your family. Thanks for having the courage to post
here. Don't ever be ashamed of your condition. By being honest and sharing
our stories we are helping other people and ultimately that is our goal.

I really pay no attention to people who say that mental illness is made up. I'm not here to get in a pissing contest with others who are narrow minded and ignorant to the subject of mental illness and psychiatry. I am here to try and diminish the stigma that has plagued people who suffer with mental illness.

This stigma has kept people from seeking help and learning their condition
can be managed, their quality of life improved. So anything we can say to erase the negative paradigm from which posters such as "Dock6" so well demonstrated than we need to say it!

please feel free to u2u me anytime!

take care very good post star for you and thumbs up!

Pax

[edit on 26-10-2008 by paxnatus]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join