It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mob attacks officers over litter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Mob attacks officers over litter

news.bbc.co.uk

Two police officers were attacked by a mob in south London when they asked a 15-year-old girl to pick up some litter she dropped.

Metropolitan Police said one of the officers suffered injuries including a bite wound in the attack in Northend in Croydon, on Wednesday afternoon.

Up to 30 people attacked the officers when the girl refused to pick up the litter and became aggressive.

A girl who was arrested on suspicion of assault has been released on bail.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Wow, the worm has turned..

Have the UK's public finally had enough of the police state and the nanny laws the government have introduced?

Have British people had enough of the CCTV and other methods of invasion into their private lives?

Is this the start of something a whole lot bigger?

30 people, presumably of differing ages, attacked two police officers because of a bit of litter.

Either the people have lost their sanity due to 'big brother' state or the police officers themselves were at fault in dealing with the young lady, hence the public picked up on it..

Or was this a secret test of an ultra sonic weapon in which 30 people were overcome and deliberately forced to attack the officers..

We may never know, but this is definitely a strange thing to happen.. Will it be the last?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

so a 15 year litters and that justifies 30 people to acend on the two police like they are a pack of wolfs?

wounder if any of the Mob in the future will require help from the police or will they call help from their Mob?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Personaly I think we have too little information on this to make any proper comments.

How we know the police didnt do something a little more to justify the mob attack? How do we know that mob wasnt out to find a reason to beat someone up or cause trouble with the police?

Thay are just some of the questions you have to ask your self.

-fm

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Please cut the 'nanny state' crap. It's a load of nonsense, we are not spied on 24/7, the police are not fascists and we are not being experimented on.

This is the result of three things.

1.Croydon. One of the roughest places I've been to, I'm not surprised something like this would happen there.

2.Chavs. I would bet a finger that this mob was made up of that scum of society, the chav. Chav 'culture' promotes these kinds of cowardly attacks, a close friend of my fathers was attacked by a similar mob a few years back.

3.Mob mentality. Degenerates see a fight, they join in. Eventually it gets out of hand. Anyone who's been to school can testify to this I bet.

I hope that everyone involved is punished to the full extent of the law. The police were only doing their jobs, the girl should have just picked the litter up instead of acting like a moron.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
If anything I think the mentality of some of late is due to the stresses in the country with Bills shooting through the roof, the credit crunch, the daily reminder that food is rising,

In this case though it’s just a despicable act, there no ifs or buts about it, there’s no need for that kind of happening, we can’t condone any actions like that,

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by funky monk

I agree with you funky monk. More information is definately needed on this to draw a conclusion. I find it hard to believe that 30 members of the public would react in this way to such a menial incident without some kind of a justification. But you never know.

CX

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Sorry but i'm not going to support the girl, or group of chavs that attacked the officers on this one.

The girl was taking the piss, pure and simple. You don't pick it up then drop it again in front of a police officer just to be funny. Thats asking to be nicked.

I detest litter louts though, so maybe i'm the wrong person to comment. How much hassle is it to use a bin or take it home? Thats why the UK is a mess.

At least these officers gavce her the chance to pick it up. Litter wardens that frequent our streets nowadays abuse thier powers and will often fine you straight away.

My girlfriends autistic daughter dropped a cigarette butt a while go, she could'nt see a bin so she put it out on the concrete. Fair enough she did'nt pick the butt up after but a litter warden came straight over and issued her with an on the spot fine for about £30.

No warning or anything, no chance to put in in a bin. My girlfriends daughter has vision problems due to the autism, she misses things if that makes sense so she probably would'nt have seen a bin even if it was there.

Within a week the fine had gone up to £70, she was extremely stressed over this and her mum had to sort it out with the local council.

Funnily enough, the same people that were dealing with her litter fine, were the people who were supplying her with a carer and sitter due to her autism.

Everyone should be given a chance, if you throw that back at the police then you are asking for what you get.

The actions of the group is nothing admirable, it's not good to see that people are rebelling against the system, this was just out of order.

CX.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

I agree, when the people is pushed to the extreme and they are already fed up with the way things are run in their country anything even the simple silly thing will lit the fire.

Is the way of human nature and that syndrome of been like an animal losing its freedom or been trapped.

I wonder how long is going to take for that type of behavior to start happening in America with all the mess we have.

But then again our government already has the home grown terrorism bill to take care of the insurgency.

Violence is the result of people feeling oppressed by their own government, then that is when governments tend to become more aggressive toward their citizens.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar

3.Mob mentality. Degenerates see a fight, they join in. Eventually it gets out of hand. Anyone who's been to school can testify to this I bet.

One of my favourite things to do when I was in my last year of high school was to run past a group of first years shouting "FIGHT!!!" then run off round a corner.
Within about 2 minutes there would be a crowd of 300-400 kids all running round the school buildings in a circle shouting about this big fight that was going on. Even if it wasn't.

That said, I would like to see people starting to take their lives back from the government. I've come to notice recently, the police are acting more like some sort of 'Imperial Guard', than protectors of the people.
I've been stopped in the street 5 or 6 times this year, been searched on about 4 of them occasions, and only once was there 'reason'. The rest of the time its like a routine check that I'm not a criminal..

The principle of "Innocent until proven Guilty" seems to have been sh#t all over recently.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Is it just me or did this article seem to lack quite a lot of important information, such as the composition of the attacking mob, or the disposition of the policemen?

Was the mob comprised of the girl's teenage chav contemporaries, or was it random men and women off the street who see this girl's plight (as in, her wish to litter, the poor dear) and then decided to commit this level of violence against the police, who appear to have been acting within the normal limits of their jobs.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

You people in the states have a funny view of life in the UK.

Still, must be difficult accepting the world from your polythene and duct taped wrapped bunkers, surrounded by guns you need in case us Brits come back and recolonise you and living in a permanently paranoid state of fear about "dem dere terrorists" and despising anything that isn't american whilst eulogising about freedom of speech in your designated zones right?

OK - now that we're done with the stereotypes, lets get down to real world and the nitty gritty of things - don't you have occaisional spots of civil disturbance in the US? I'm fairly sure you do.

This is nothing special, and variations of it can be found in most large towns and cities across the UK from time to time. What does it mean? It means that theres a lack of resepect for the police by some sections of society.

Is it right? No. Is it anything to do with the reasons you suggest? No.

[edit on 18/0708/08 by neformore]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I'd like to know what a "chav" is?

I mean, after being looked down on by Eupropeans for being a bunch of racist rednecks here in the states, I'd like to know all the groups of people you look down on stereotypically as having cultures that promote these kind of cowardly attacks.

I mean, the Brits can't understand why every white person in north america hates every minority (BS) - but every Brit I know hates all sorts of people. you know, like the Irish or the Paki's or the Chav's (new to me)...how many other groups of people do you hate indiscriminately?

If Englands stereotypical racism is anything like the US's, I'm betting this reaction is much more common from the rural areas of northern England, as the southern areas of the US get this rap as well...

What do you think?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
A chav is just the result of poor, depressed usually inner city areas,its the fault of the country and our policies and non existant family life in today's society...of course i call them Neds...but the english call them Chav's...

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Gatordone

Chavs are a social group here in Britain. Just as you've got your goths, emos, jocks or whatever. They dress and act a certain way to fit into a larger 'community'. Anyone who lives in Britain will know why everyone hates them so much.

They roam the streets in packs attacking people, destroying things and generally making a ruckus. They are violent and have no regard for anyone but themselves. I personally know about half a dozen people who have been savagely attacked by chavs, the man I mentioned in my previous post has had difficulties with life ever since his attack.

It's almost impossible for anyone outside the UK to understand really, only first hand experience really gives you the full picture. This 'reaction' comes from everywhere, be it rural or urban areas.

This hate (and it is hate) is nothing to do with race. Chavs come from every ethnic background in Britain and they're all as bad as each other.

Also, 'every Brit' you know hates someone do they? I'm afraid you must have some very small minded friends then. I don't know anyone who hates one of the many minorities here and I wouldn't want to know them if they did.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by Zanzibar]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
30 people, a likely story. Sounds to me like these coppers got owned by a couple of girls, and invented the 30 people story to save their embarrassment. This really sounds like a load of tosh to me. Let me guess, other injuries besides the bite marks are handbag bruises and scratched faces.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Regarding 'lack of information';

This story was listed as "breaking news" when I found it on the site linked.

Regarding the "Chavs"

It seems there were two aduts also involved but wether they are chavs or not is a bit beside the point.

Two men, aged 34 and 38 and both from South Norwood, were held on Thursday morning on suspicion of assault and violent disorder.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Media may have its wires crossed due to the freshness of the 'news', or rather, information gathered...

The Evening standard reports a group of teenagers, but also reports on the two adults who were arrested.
www.thisislondon.co.uk...

Yes, there is a massive lack of info and all my questions about the situation were just that, questions.

It does seem to be a deliberate attempt to have a go at the police officers for the sake of something to do.

Let's hope we get more information over time and hopefully this will answer all the questions.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gatordone
I'd like to know what a "chav" is?

A Chav is a cheap sportswear wearing, fake bling wearing, 'hard as nails' , thick as s*** faux gangsta type, who tend to attack in groups, and generally get laughed at by actual tough people.

They drink cheap booze, listen to really bad music (Rudeboy Choonz), and generally cause distress to the average mild mannered Joe.

but every Brit I know hates all sorts of people. you know, like the Irish or the Paki's or the Chav's (new to me)...how many other groups of people do you hate indiscriminately?

All I can suggest here is that you meet more Brits, me ol' china. We don't all tar Americans with the redneck brush, we don't all hate the Irish (they are heavily interbred with us), we don't all hate Pakistanis (though recently, due to the media trying to drive a wedge through British society, old xenophobia towards Pakistanis is resurfacing - thanks to 'Wupert' Murdoch, the p****).

Chavs though are a different thing from the other groups. Society's dislike for them is not based on stupid crap like race or religion, its because Chavs are a pain in the arse to EVERYONE.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terran Blue

Originally posted by Gatordone
we don't all hate Pakistanis (though recently, due to the media trying to drive a wedge through British society, old xenophobia towards Pakistanis is resurfacing - thanks to 'Wupert' Murdoch, the p****).

Ha I thought I was the only one that has noticed this.
Have you been reading those stupid headlines lately.
"Islam community outraged by puppy in police officers hat"
"Report kids who don't like spicy foods, they might be racist"
These are exactly the same tactics the Nazi's used to ostracize the Jews. They would build the public animosity to a point where the people would demand the government deal with them in the harshest possible way.

Don't be a sheeple

As for the wee Neds. I am sorry but anyone who can draw a conclusion from this is a fool. This is a one-sided story with absolutely no details whatsoever.
What I would like to see are 30 individual statements from the 30 individual's that were involved.
What a crappy piece of reporting from the BBC, of all people they should know to do a better job than that

CX

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
A chav's dress sense is a subject all of it's own, and something i'm fascinated by!

What is it with these kids wearing tracksuit bottoms that look like they've been passed down from thier 5 year old brother? How is a gang supposed to look cool when they look like they've just raided the kids department of a cheapy clothes store?

They should all be rounded up, and sentenced to a bath, a hairbrush and a longer pair of tracky bottoms!

Wow listen to me......this is old man CX signing out!

CX.

PS: BRING BACK THE BIRCH!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join