It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small Voodoo Matchstick Dolls in a Sack?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
A friend of mine gave me this sack full of what looks to be like voodoo dolls made of matchsticks. There's 6 of these matchstick dolls in total. Each matchstick doll is wrapped in a different colored thread.
I would take pictures of the dolls but I'm a bit suspicious that it might bring me bad luck. I'll post pictures of them once I get an answer on what it is I have in my posession.

Anyways, she told me that she found them at her work place (she cleans), she said one of her coworkers told her that you put all your fears and frustrations out on these matchstick dolls, then put them back into the little satchel and then place it under your pillow and all your troubles will be gone the next day. This sounds a lot like voodoo to me.

I still have it, and I'm wondering what to do with it now? What is it?
Is it okay if I take pictures of it without being brought any bad luck?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Does sound very folklorish and could be potentially of muti origin. if it is or not please keep in mind that such objects are merely focal point in which individuals can channel their own energies/will to negate mental stumbling blocks. It can only harm if you let it!

Lots of luck

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
They are probably worry dolls.

Do they look something like this?

en.wikipedia.org...

Not to worry.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Thats cool that now I know what they are. I used to have a little wooden basket like container with about 10 of them in it as a child, but to me they were just little dolls to make villages out of sticks and leaves for.

Its nice to know what they actually were.

Thanks for posting the link about them.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
YES! thats EXACTLY what they are! Thank you for the positive I.D. Pauligirl.

Although I'm also wondering if there are similar dolls like this used in voodoo as well?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Voodoo doll's don't actually exist nor have they ever. It was made up by some hollywood writer. At least I think it was a hollywood writer. Its been a long time since I've looked that little tidbit up.

But what your thinking of is a Poppit the writer borrowed it for a horror movie or some nonsense like that.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeepin4x4girl
YES! thats EXACTLY what they are! Thank you for the positive I.D. Pauligirl.

Although I'm also wondering if there are similar dolls like this used in voodoo as well?

Voodoo dolls are a bit bigger than the matchstick worry dolls and are pretty much a novelty item, mass produced in China. If you're into it, you can get custom made ones, or a "Lady Luck" like this:

or make your own

www.wikihow.com...

I'm not a believer, so I don't think they do anything, except part you from your money (If you buy one)

Here's a link to what Jabo2531 was talking about.

plaza.ufl.edu...

Voodoo dolls are universally associated with Voodoo. Most know the concept of the voodoo doll-- a doll is made as a likeness of the intended victim and is then stuck with pics and needles to inflict pain upon the victim. It is surprising then to learn that Voodoo dolls are unheard of in the original Voodoo in Haiti, although some are used in New Orleans voodoo, mostly to amuse tourists.

The real origin of the "Voodoo doll" is the "poppet," used in European witchcraft. Apparently, the term Voodoo doll was invented by an American writer who made up a story about Voodoo after hearing that it was witchcraft. The only "dolls" used in Voodoo are ones used on Voodoo altars, which are supposed to represent loas.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
That Sounds Alot Like Guatemalen Worry Dolls.Its Fine To Take A Picture Of Them.They Are Not Evil Or Anything.

top topics

join