It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Cold War??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I'm not too up to date on the issues America is having with Russia, but rumor has it we're getting into Cold War attitude with them again. Apparently they have some extreme weapons over there, but like I said, I'm not too up to date on it.
Thoughts, facts and opinions?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Possibly, but no where near the level it was during the Soviet days. Simply put, there's a few things making tensions between the US and Russia:

* Russia claiming resources in the Arctic circle (currently doing some quite extensive military drills there)

* The expansion of NATO on the former Eastern front, which NATO promised after the fall of the Union that it'd never do

* Russia supporting South Ossetia, a breakaway region from Georgia. There was that incident of a Russian jet firing upon a Georgian spy drone, for example.

* The missile shield - the US putting missile shield hardware in former Soviet republics, using the justification of 'rogue' states, such as Iran

* Russia building Iran's nuclear facilities

* McCain calling for Russia to be knocked out of the G8 for not being 'democratic enough'. There was also the incident of Hillary saying Putin didn't have a soul (to which he replied 'a head of state at least needs a head').

* Russia flying TU 95 bombers over NATO countries and buzzing US air force carriers

Hmm... Come to think of it, that is quite a few things. But I don't think it's going to escalate - the US and Russia still have nukes aimed at each other, but everyone seems to have learnt from the Cold War days (hopefully) that nuclear obliteration doesn't help things.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

join