It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member list and banned member number question

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
How does a member become a moderator? Were the mods now previously ordinary members? Or doesn't that happen?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by UFOpsychiczebra
How does a member become a moderator? Were the mods now previously ordinary members? Or doesn't that happen?

Hey there, Yes all of us where ordinary members before becoming mods,
Firstly you never ask lol, And really its just adding it a good way to the board and keeping out of trouble, Mods are picked for all differnt reasons, Some as there good in certain areas others like myself who are helpfull to the members.. Any one can be picked at any given time, You just get kinda noticed, For most of us it was a big shock to be asked,

So just go about your posting and who knows!

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala

Hey there, Yes all of us where ordinary members before becoming mods,
Firstly you never ask lol, And really its just adding it a good way to the board and keeping out of trouble, ... You just get kinda noticed, For most of us it was a big shock to be asked,

So just go about your posting and who knows!

I wasn't hinting. but I can see how it might have looked that way. If I was asked who knows!

Btw, thanks for all the info from various members and admin and mods in this thread.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Aww no i did not take it as you hinting

Nothing wrong with wondering what the process is,

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
My ninja senses are tingling.

I have a feeling that all the staff are responsible for this.

So THIS IS THE STAFFS FAULT.

And now they wont even provide us with answers.

It just like those heartless robots to do this.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

first you gotta get one of those super cool avatars.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I would suggest that to clarify for some people that a forum is created for the banned members (well if they are banned then ex-members) the states the name of the banned person (username) and both the mod/person who banned them and a little about why they were banned.
It would help to clarify a few things for some new members especially as the terms and conditions on the sign-up page take a while to read let alone to remember when you are in full flow while posting.

That would be fascinating, another level to the story, eh? How could Above Top Secret possibly lose in such a scenario?

I'd love to hear the tales of the 'bad guys/girls'!

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jah is Mighty

I would suggest that to clarify for some people that a forum ... things for some new members especially as the terms and conditions on the sign-up page take a while to read let alone to remember when you are in full flow while posting.

That would be fascinating, another level to the story, eh? How could Above Top Secret possibly lose in such a scenario?

I'd love to hear the tales of the 'bad guys/girls'!

You misread my post Jah, I didn't suggest the 'banned member forum' I just commented on Full997's suggestion for a 'banned member's forum'. Here is there original post from page one of this thread.

Originally posted by full997
I would suggest that to clarify for some people that a forum is created for the banned members (well if they are banned then ex-members) the states the name of the banned person (username) and both the mod/person who banned them and a little about why they were banned.
It would help to clarify a few things for some new members especially as the terms and conditions on the sign-up page take a while to read let alone to remember when you are in full flow while posting.

The number of people banned compared the number of active members is quite small so it would appear the for the moment the site is gaining more members than it is losing.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

We were all members and actually still are members first and staff second.

The first step in becomming a moderator is to never ever ask to be one.

Then just post, contribute etc. Stay within the T&C. etc. The formula used is a closely guarded secret only known to the amigos but I think it involves a bubbling caulderon with some eye of newt etc (but thats just rumors really) but you can't argue with the method. There is very little staff turnover.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It has been the experience of many friends of mine that discussing money or fundraising or any type of collective grassroots action here will get you banned very quickly and with very little fanfare.

I was almost permanently banned the other day for simply mentioning that another well known news site was doing a very positive and interesting fundraising drive.

(I provided no direct link - but I did publish the story in more than one area of ATS - as I thought it would be of interest to both Anti-NWO activists and UFOlogists)

Since all posts of the offending member are banned - I guess we have to take their word for the statistics - but personally I find the TOS to be so all encompassing and their application so arbitrary as to be rather stifling to free discussion.

I obviously still enjoy the community here quite a bit - but I definately participate in discussions much less often due to the constant threat of sudden predjudicial termination.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

and socially inept

(nasally expectorates Pepsi-cola)

LOL. So except for the drooling, and using the wrong word salad fork, these guys might still be here, huh?

You can dress 'em up, you just can't take 'em out.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Not likely... Imagine them taking the "wrong salad fork" and sticking it in the eye of the person sitting next to them all the while they are blowing their nose in the fine table linens...

Springer...

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

I trust you got my 'verbigiation' pun?

You, sir are often a master of the hilarious understatement.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Might as well piggyback this thread with my question rather than starting a new one since it's technically a related topic.

Why are there so many banned users who haven't even posted a single time according to the post count on the members list? Is this due to an ISP ban or does a deleted post actually subtract itself from a user's post total?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I was under the impression they were a previously banned member who made a new account but were caught due to an IP comparison. Not really sure. What makes me curious are the people who are banned and have negative posts. Anyone know what causes that? Or are we being too nosy? lol

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Im not really sure what causes that.

Every once and while you will see a thread with a negative post count too.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Being such a nosy person, that is actually something I have asked before so I know the answer to that one.
I was told those are older threads that were carried over from the old board and caused those threads to have a negative post count for some reason. Many of Simon's threads dealing with site rules from years ago will have negative post counts so that is one explanation of which I am aware.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

ATS Terms and Conditions

1d.) Cross-Posting: You will not cross-post content from other discussion boards (unless you receive advance permission from The Above Network, LLC). You will not post-by-proxy the material of banned members or other individuals who are not members, but have written a response to content within a thread on these forums.]

[edit on March 4th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by novacs4me
*snip*

I would guess that this is because she subscribed to the ATS email newsletter.

I don't subscribe, so I'm not sure, but I imagine there's probably an "unsubscribe" link in the newsletter if she doesn't want to get it anymore.

I've never received any email from ATS at all -- I think you have to subscribe separately for the email newletter and that those lists are maintained separately from the member lists.

[edit on March 4th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join