It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children recruited by federal police to solve online crime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Children recruited by federal police to solve online crime

www.news.com.au

CHILDREN as young as 14 have been recruited by police to help fight online crime, because they have more internet skills than agents.

In an Australian first, 20 teen recruits will today begin working with the Australian Federal Police to develop strategies to catch cyber frauds and predators, and even those grooming other youths for terrorism.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Shouldn't the police be hiring younger recruits who are a little more tech-savvy, rather than consulting children?

I find something wrong with these tactics. To me, if you're not able to perform some aspects of your work, then you should be put out to pasture that you are.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
anyone ever read 1984?????? wtf....

"At the age of six[comrade ogilvy] early, by special relaxation of the rules, had joined the spies. At nine he had been a troop leader. At the age of eleven he had denounced his uncle to the thought police after overhearing a conversation which appeared to him to have criminal tendencies....He had no subjects of conversation except the principles of Ingsoc...and the hunting down of spies, saboteurs, thoughtcriminals and traitors, generally"
---excerpt from 1984 by George Orwell...

now I know this isn't as extreme or drastic as the transcript. However it is my opinion that it is laying the foundation for similar outcome.

While I believe that the safety of children are important, I believe the focus should be in teaching children to be aware of how they can get themselves in such a situation. Teaching the parents to properly educate their children on how not to put themselves in situations which would allow a predator or ''cyber frauds'' to have any leverage in any situation.

However, sometimes the human brain gets programmed into a certain pattern which would cause a child to actively seek out attention in less than desirable ways and actual psychological therapy is needed instead of education.

we have a lot of work to do, but I don't think using children to catch ''predators'' is the answer, and my intuition tells me this method is a multibird killing rock.

new topics

join