It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China wages war on Olympic weather

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

China wages war on Olympic weather

olympics.thestar.com

"You can't come in here," says a groundskeeper from behind the locked gates of the Beijing Haidian District Weather Modification Office. "No one gets in here without permission from the higher authorities."

Behind him stands a battery of four 37-millimetre anti-aircraft guns and a rocket launcher mounted on a trailer.

It's all part of Beijing's war on weather.

With the Olympic Games just 23 days away, the government is determined to do everything it can to ensure a picture-perfect opening for the event.

That includes trying to control the heavens.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.technovelgy.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
China Leads Weather Control Race?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Well this just keeps getting more and more interesting. First we thought about chemtrails for cloud seeding and now it looks like they are using weapons of war to change the weather. I wonder what they will think of next.

olympics.thestar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Weather modification if just wrong. If we don't learn to live with this planet instead of waging war against it, it will soon wage war against us.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I hear you. For me its a double edged sword. On one hand I can think of many places that could benefit from weather modification such as drought ridden areas but on the other hand If we keep screwing with mother nature one day she is going to screw us back. If the science behind it was environmentally sound and perfected then sure why not but at this point we have no clue what problems these actions will cause further down the road.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
How in the world are weapons of war going to change the weather??

This is really bothering me, I feel like I should understand, but it doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I believe that rather than spraying the cloud seeding material from a plane, they just shoot it up to the desired height with the artillery shells. I don't really understand it either. Its way fubar.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I have to say this is hilarious, between the earthquakes, algae and locusts, you'd think their karma was bad enough.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Some of us are watching all this with great interest. Regardless of any ramification for weather across the rest of China, it's the first really big public display of weather modification. My guess is that China will either claim success or else come up with a 'plausible' excuse, whatever happens.

A lot of meteorologists question whether weather modification works.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I know a lot of the meteorologists here in Vancouver that highly doubt their success rate. I believe they use the term "um...yeah...good luck with that" a lot.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Environmental concerns aside, the effects of weather modification are staggering. Where would you draw the line on the perceived importance of a date to justify making everything bright and sunny? Think of agriculture and draught. So much is dependent on what we as a society would call "bad weather". Yes, rainstorms are inconvenient, perhaps even sometimes dangerous. Do we need them? Hell yes we do.

If there is one thing we shouldn't mess with, that'd be the water cycle. It is perhaps the most important natural cycle on Earth, with the possible exception of the carbon cycle.

Yes, as a matter of fact, it sucks when it rains on your parade. But in the grand scheme of things, consider that once again natural science has granted you beautiful, life-giving water.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
To be honest, I was always under the impression that cloud seeding was used to induce rainfall.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The obvious question would then, of course, be why they would want it to rain when they are aiming for a "perfect event".

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I know....unless the seeding they are trying to do somehow absorbs or evaporates the moisture in the clouds/sky

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I read in the news awhile (6months ago) back on MSN. I dont have the link. But it stated that China was trying to make it rain where they having the Olympics so that the rain would wash away the pollution in the air. At that time it stated that they were shooting the clouds with seeds to make it rain.

I dont understand why this isnt important to other countries. If Leaders of the world can manipulate the weather isnt that just as bad as having a nuclear weapon. Mother Nature can be very devastating. It seems no one cares that China or anyone else is trying to manipulate the weather. I think it is very bad to mess with mother nature and the outcome probably isnt worth it.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Now, this well might just be a huge leap of fantasy, but I know that I've heard of the original seeding experiments done with aircraft, some sort of modified crop dusters. A covert method like this (which could be disguised as an airshow, normal flight patterns, etc) would, in my opinion, be preferable to a show of military arms.

Which makes me wonder about the wisdom of an event that will be staffed with AA cannons, in a country that seems to be getting a lot of flack about their politics of late.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
As I understand it, the plan is to seed any potential rain clouds approaching Beijing with the aim of making any rain precipitate out before the clouds reach the city, thus ensuring a dry Games.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Weapons of war are being used to try to clean up a huge environmental mess made by mankinds advances, partly in the advancement of weapons of war. It looks to me like things are coming full circle.

As to the experiments, havent the Russians been using this technology to keep Moscow dry during national events?

I see this as a catch-22. First, we use weapons and industry to cloud parts of the atmosphere with polutants, then we use weapons and industry to try to bend nature to clean up the mess. Its grand manipulation on a global scale. I just hope that it is not found in 10 years that all of the chemical manipulation has further damaged our atmospheric protection against the cosmos. Science can say it has no long term affects all they want. Aerosols were not a fear just a couple of decades ago, but are now blamed for that little hole in the ozone.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
From what I've been reading they plan to use it in case of minor sprinkles, they concede that in the case of a storm or downpour they can't do anything.

top topics

join