It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blacks', whites' views of Obama differ starkly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Blacks', whites' views of Obama differ starkly

www.star-telegram.com

Heading into the first election in which an African-American will be a major-party presidential nominee, Americans are sharply divided by race, with blacks and whites holding vastly different views of Sen. Barack Obama, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
It would be unfair to believe that bias does not exist in the country, while I am one who gives everyone the benefit of the doubt and do not judge on appearances, I am pretty secluded where I live in the country, it is probably easier for me since I am not constantly exposed to new people so I can understand that in some major population area, one might have to make their opinions of others much quicker than I.

This poll is only a sampling, of under 2000 people, but the results are very diverse.

I guess with such a small sampling, the results have to be taken with a grain of salt, what are your personal views on this piece, is it skewed or close to the truth.

Where I sit it is skewed, but I may be out of the loop so to say living in a rural area.

How is it in your area of the country?

www.star-telegram.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I think Blacks and Whites view a lot of things very differently. It doesn't surprise me to see that they may have a different take on someone who might be the first Black president.

You are correct though, 2000 people is hardly enough to get an accurate view.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I'm not sure why they concentrate only on Obama. Look at the numbers. Obama has a 31-37% approval/disapproval rating among whites, compared to 83-2 among blacks.

But what about McCain? The numbers show that McCain has a 35-28% approval/disapproval rating among whites. Among blacks, its 5-57%.

The views on BOTH candidates differ starkly along racial lines.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The TV news said that CLINTON also had the same kind of numbers and obviously he isn't black.

The TV talking heads said - As far as the white voter is concerned - it's not a black v white thing in regard to Obama and McCain.

It's a republican v democrat thing for whites.

More whites are republican then democrat.

Therefore - more whites are voting for McCain then Obama.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think another problem is that so many still believe that Obama is Muslim be it sleeper or outright.

Most people I work with have a problem with him and his not putting his hand over his heart during the national anthem, not wanting to swear in on a bible, or his affiliation with his church.

I personally don’t care about any of those things. I do on the other hand believe him to be just another politician that will say what needs to be said to get into office, but I feel the same for McCain.

I told my wife last year that I thought Obama and Clinton would run together (still likely) and that after a year in office he would be killed. Most people I work with think he will be killed and it will start a race war. I on the other hand believe it will be a black man that will kill him. I believe this to be even more so after his NAACP speech the other day.

"If we're serious about reclaiming that dream, we have to do more in our own lives. There's nothing wrong with saying that," Obama told a crowd estimated at 3,000. "But with providing the guidance our children need, turning off the TV set and putting away the video games; attending those parent-teacher conferences, helping our children with their homework, setting a good example. That's what everybody's got to do."

www.cbsnews.com...

www.mydd.com...

wakeupblackamerica.blogspot

I say this because when Cosby said basically the same thing he was labeled a “race traitor” by many. Cosby was chastised by many and applauded by many others. He lost a great deal of his popularity after saying such a thing. Be it right or wrong he said what he felt was right (I personally think it is right and goes for more than just blacks) and took a great deal of heat for it. I am sure he had some who might have been ready to take action against him, while others would have jumped to protect him.

Regardless I believe Obama just put himself out on a thin line with many by saying what he did. I applauded him though for stating his beliefs on such an issue. It takes courage to step out against the grain of things. Sometimes a nice set of body armor would not hurt either.

Raist

[edit on 7/16/08 by Raist]

[edit on 7/16/08 by Raist]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
first Obama isnt black and hes also not white. i dont have a problem with the mixed race. as my oldest nephews are mixed and no one loves them more than uncle dale

secondly 2000 people is no way to tell the opinion of the american people. this is why i never pay any attintion to the polls.

as a white guy, after some of obamas clearly raceist comments i dont think as highly of him as i used to. i never would have voted for him but i did at least view him as intelegent at one point in time.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I live in a small mountain city in the south. The kind of place most people would think would be prejudiced against Obama in particular and Democrats in general. Obama won the Democratic primary in our county and in the state overall. Noth Carolina could well go for Obama in November, making it the first time in many years the state has gone Democratic.

There are many African Americans in this state, but not enough to carry the state by themselves.

I know many more whites than blacks here, and my impression is that at least 50% of the whites are Obama supporters, if not more. But then, Asheville is more progressive than many other cities in this part of the state, and my friends and associates tend to be from urban areas of the country. So maybe my sampling is too narrow to tell for sure.

My reaction to the poll you cite is that 30% of whites is much too low.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Yeah well, that's a no brainer. Even black conservatives like JC Watts are voting for him on skin color alone. I would never vote for him because he's an incompetent communist who hates the "entitled". Hell, a vote for Stalin would be a little more moderate with this baffoon. Maybe old Joseph would take it easier with the taxes on all the things I've been "given" and "entitled" to.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Well you, I and a few others may not see Obama as black or white or even purple for that matter. But this is politics look at the number of people out there both black, white and everything in between that put Obama on the black side. Even his own campaign puts him there. It is simply a game about what will gain the most attention to his cause/side.

Face it he is running as a black man. If elected he will be seen as the very first black U.S. president. What does that mean to us or at least me? Nothing, but to some it will be seen as a threat. Even they, though are doubtful to take any real action as they would be fearful of revenge in the most extreme. There are those who while they do not have a problem with Obama straight on fear that he will be elected, assassinated, and a war of the races will take place. I though do not think this will be the case. I have already stated that he will show his true colors as a rich politician and someone thinking he was on the side of the black man will come to seek revenge.

What people need to do is realize race does not matter. What we truly need is a president and congress that is on the side of the middle class and the poor. Only then will we all be treated equally.

Raist

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

I would bet the Jesse Jackson will not be voting for him. If you look at what he said about Obama I would bet he has a write in vote.
Also I do not believe that every black even conservative will vote for Obama based on skin color. Obama is close to the place Cosby was two years ago with his most recent remarks. I am sure even the mighty Oprah is rethinking her stance with Obama even now. Though in the end she will stay her ground if only to prove her point and hold onto her financial investment.

Raist

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Obama's popularity peaked too soon while he and Hilary were going knuckle to knuckle. After peaking there's only one way after that, down and it's started. It's all timing. McCain will rise as Obama falls nearing the elections.

And as stated by another poster, I also can't believe the bashing on Obama and his family. That man is strong hearted.

top topics

join