It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge a book (or a member) by its cover

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Jed,

I see you as one with ultra-strong convictions. I also feel you may not be a great listener. You are quick to jump the gun or drop the hammer on anyone who opposses your viewpoint.

I'm sure you're over the whole Hillary thing by now. Plus her bobblehead dolls don't mix in well with your Star Wars collection.

Becker

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Karl, an excellent thread.
It's too bad actually that we sometimes judge by avatars and not by posts.
Of course for the most part, we try to visualize whom it is we are speaking to.
Perhaps that makes it easier to either agree or disagree with a member?
After reading the thread about Dark avatars one would think perhaps there are many of us who have evil beliefs.
Yes, my avatar is a fallen angel in hell.
It doesn't mean that Iam against those who have Christian beliefs, or that I worship the devil.
I actually had someone ask me yesterday, if I practice Wicca, as that was another impression they had of me. I don't. But I respect it.
Iam a pretty open book here. I have posted my personal life, and pictures of myself. Not much to hide.
I think it's just as cool if members don't want to share too much about themselves. An avatar is just a picture, and the post should give more reflection into the member.
Of course, we all know where we were when finding out Nefermore was a male!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
hmmm AD, angelic, sometimes "dark" avatars....

Pain comes to mind, or sorrow I should say.

I don't really know what to say, I think you know who you are and what you like and it doesn't matter what others say.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
As I read here, I am feeling sorry that I don't know more of you.

SkyFloating, to me, your name and avatar have me thinking you are female, an environmentalist, spiritual, sensitive and maybe soft-spoken in real life.

Access Denied, I always thought you were a guy!
Sorry. Until I heard from you yesterday. I really respect your posts. I have the impression you are intelligent and strong, outspoken and calm.

The rest of you, I don't really know...
I'll have to hang out in this forum more. I guess I withhold judgment to a certain extent until I feel I know the person from their posts and not just their avatar... Interesting.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Lord knows what you can make of mine

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psychopump

Skyfloating
A happy female idealist of age 30 to 40. Very spiritually inclined but not attached to any mainstream religion (except maybe buddhism). Vegetarian and a good cook. (don´t ask me where I´m getting this!) 2 or 3 children who never get in trouble.

Hmmmm...
I wonder if I got close on anything?

Happy yes. Female no. 33 yes. Spiritual but unattached yes. Vegetarian: Hell no. Children: No.

LDragonFire: I always wanted to be that cool surfer dude, but Im not
I went on to learn diving instead. I see you as a sex-oriented motorbiker.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by Psychopump

Skyfloating
A happy female idealist of age 30 to 40. Very spiritually inclined but not attached to any mainstream religion (except maybe buddhism). Vegetarian and a good cook. (don´t ask me where I´m getting this!) 2 or 3 children who never get in trouble.

Hmmmm...
I wonder if I got close on anything?

Happy yes. Female no. 33 yes. Spiritual but unattached yes. Vegetarian: Hell no. Children: No.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Skyfloating]

Errmm

I had you down as female as well

Sorry

just shows what we subconciously pick up from the avatars...great thread

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Hi, Karlhungis, remember I sent you and U2U just to ask you who that creepy guy in your avatar was? (Hadn't seen the film yet then.)

Well, I still think your avater is creepy, but anyone who likes the films of the Coen brothers can't be all that bad... In my opinion.

link   
Funny how Im seen as a female environmentalist and vegetarian

Thats "judging by avatars" for ya.

link   
reply to post by expatwhite

I would say you are a late 20's male, but the term expat is not common so I will bump it up to mid 30's. Easy going.... fairly tall.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I always assumed that the avatar was the perceived reflection of its owner, as it sometimes can determine some characteristic or value about or of the poster.

I suppose a person goes through a subconscious selection process when choosing their avatar, not wanting to give too much personal information away yet leaking certain elements about their true self under a veil.

So, what about members with no avatars - do we tend to get shunned as a perception that we are, well, maybe not as committed to this site, almost on the periphery of the conversation due to our lack of 'identity'??

Good thread btw.

Breifne

(ps. sorry if this have been stated earlier, I have not had the time to read all posts).

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Breifne

So, what about members with no avatars - do we tend to get shunned as a perception that we are, well, maybe not as committed to this site, almost on the periphery of the conversation due to our lack of 'identity'??

As a matter of fact, that kind of does pop in to my mind. Unless I have read many posts by someone with no avatar, I don't usually have much of an opinion either way. There are probably only a handful of posters that I have formed opinions of that do not have avatars. I think the avatars help solidify the poster in my memory.

Good point.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

I knew water had something to do with you, and Jedi pointed out blue, now it could be because your Av lots of blue sky and a island beach but you have a flow about you, that is cool.

I was raised around bikers lol Hells Angels and Satans Lovers, but I have left that life behind me.

And AccessDenied I know U!
and you are A Very Cool Woman!! but when I first met you I thought you were a guy, it's the strength or your energy we are picking up on.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I have always felt that posters with good looking female avatars get more responses along the 'empathetic' and 'contagion' lines - ''Oh, you are so right'', when actually you want to say something completely different.

I just suppose that is the male mind thinking! Again, the important thing here is the 'perception' of the poster via the avatar, rather than their post.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by expatwhite

I would say you are a late 20's male, but the term expat is not common so I will bump it up to mid 30's. Easy going.... fairly tall.

37 so pretty close
6' tall so not bad either

Easy going...occasionally

I think thats pretty good
Your a damn site closer than i seem to be with my mental images of people. !

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

So I did pick up on something motorbike-ish. Good to know. I also pick up on the "pick up artist" vibe...but you dont have to respond to that, thats your private world.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Breifne

So, what about members with no avatars - do we tend to get shunned

I'm sorry, Did you say something?

Becker

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Becker44
reply to post by Breifne

I rest my case

Breifne

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
KarlHungis, my minds' eye had you pegged for a rotund, bearded man late 40's, well-read, and an isolationist.

...And an Oregon Ducks fan.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Breifne

I wouldn't say "shunned". For me, I forget people without an avatar that I can visually associate them to more easily than the ones who have a memorable picture.

I also change my avatar pretty frequently. I wonder the effect that has on people's perceptions.

Perhaps that's why no one has commented on mine...
Or maybe people don't have anything nice to say, so they're just keeping their mouths shut... Oh, no... Now people are going to think I'm paranoid.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join