It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a Christian Vote for Obama? or Why was I accosted by an Apocalyptic film maker?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I never thought anyone would ask that questions to be honest.

But today I was accosted by a drive by Religio-Politico-Apocalyptic sales man.

From time to time I happen to listen to a Christian Radio station called "104.7 The Fish" which although is a "Christian Radio Station" has mostly devotional music. I can't say I've ever heard anything remotely political on the station, which is why I don't mind having it on. Plus I got free tickets from them once to a Mercy Me and Michael W Smith concert, which rocked. So I put one of their stickers on the back of my truck.

I also have an Obama sticker on the back of my truck.

I'm driving into work today (at around 10:30) and this guy in the passenger side of a white truck pulls up next to me and motions for me to roll down my window. I do so, and expecting him to ask a question about how to get someplace in the area. Anyway he says to me,

"You listen to 104.7 the fish?"

"Yeah", I said

"And you support Obama?" He asked as he looked really perplexed.

"Yup!", I replied

"So, Pro Abortion, Pro Gay Rights?" He seemed to have already concluded that there was only one decision God was making this year.

"You know, when Jesus was around, there were many different political factions bent out of shape about one thing or another, and Jesus rebuked them all in favor of compassion and rational thought.", I said a bit awkwardly as I was not expecting anything like this conversation.

He reaches down and brings out a DVD which he reaches across to give me, all the while I'm also stretching to take it from him (for what reason I'm not sure).

"I advertise on The Fish, here take a copy of my video, Jesus will be back soon and you will have to answer to him for your sins".

"Thanks!" I said with an almost automatic big smile.

As he drove off I tossed the video in the passenger side and said WTF?

The name of the video was "Epicenter" and he was one of the guys on the back of it. Evidently they had traveled to Jerusalem and wrote a book as well as made a video about the coming apocalypse they are expecting.

OK, so after all of this weirdness, I never imagined that there were people who honestly believed that all Christians should vote one way on the General Election. In retrospect, I would have said something more pithy like "Yeah, I believe in Free Will". But I'm flabbergasted that there are fully grown and mature adults who believe this way.

What are y'alls thoughts on this?

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
the rapture will happen. jesus will take all the hypocritical thieving liars who claim Jesus Christ Savior! off this planet, drop them in the sun, leaving earth to those who will heal the diseases they have wrought upon this holy sphere.....

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Your stereotypical extremists in religion who think they know the "right" way and every other was is wrong will naturally think that because they indeed are "right" whoever they vote for and whatever they do is how it should be done by everyone. And if not, to hell with you!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Your stereotypical extremists in religion

Exactly why I think its a BS story. Much like those emails that go around about Obama, the left puts out stories of mean Christians, so that everyone can sit around and bash them without feeling guilty. I see it all the time on other forums.

As a non-Christian,its pretty obvious that people are constantly making stuff up in order to turn Obama in to a victim, or his supporters by proxy. Christians ALWAYS seem to be the enemy, which is odd to me.

On one of these political forums, any mention of Muslims being extremists or anything perceived as negative will be met with flames from the entire forum. However, these same people constantly bash Bush, Christians and anything perceived as "white". This seems to be the same kind of story, meant to build anger against McCain, Christians and white people in general.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

My thoughts are that people use religion these days for political means and it's really sad (not to mention a bit confusing to me). There's a reason the founders of this country didn't want religion and politics to be morphed together. And this is it.

Very strange experience.

Originally posted by Dronetek
This seems to be the same kind of story, meant to build anger against McCain, Christians and white people in general.

Oh, for Christ's sake! What are you talking about??? Never mind.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Quazga

My thoughts are that people use religion these days for political means and it's really sad (not to mention a bit confusing to me). There's a reason the founders of this country didn't want religion and politics to be morphed together. And this is it.

Very strange experience.

This seems to be the same kind of story, meant to build anger against McCain, Christians and white people in general.

Oh, for Christ's sake! What are you talking about??? Never mind.

What am I talking about? I'm talking about people making up stories about those EVIL CHRISTIANS. Much like you have some fringe people making up stories about Obama, you also how fringe lefties who make up stories about confrontations with Christians.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DronetekWhat am I talking about? I'm talking about people making up stories about those EVIL CHRISTIANS. Much like you have some fringe people making up stories about Obama, you also how fringe lefties who make up stories about confrontations with Christians.

So are you calling Quazga a lier and just making up stories to bash Christians. And are you making up stories to bash fringe lefties. It works both ways you know!!!

[edit on 16-7-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by DronetekWhat am I talking about? I'm talking about people making up stories about those EVIL CHRISTIANS. Much like you have some fringe people making up stories about Obama, you also how fringe lefties who make up stories about confrontations with Christians.

So are you calling Quazga a lier

Yes, only because I read stories like this all the time on forums where they hate Christians. Its like fan fiction for hatemongers. Not saying this guy is a hatemonger. Just that his story sounds a lot like the ones I read there.

Its just more of the same from people on the left. Much like the New Yorker cover, implying thats how we on the right see Obama. Stories like this are meant to make you fear Christians/Right wingers/Republicans/ect and make Obama in to a victim.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

whoa!

How could I be bashing Christians when I *am* a Christian?

I know this is a weird story, but it happened exactly as I stated. Call up the guys who made the video "epicenter" and I'm sure he won't deny it.

My whole point is that I don't understand how anyone could associate a party with a religion. If you read that I was bashing Christians then you obviously didn't read my post.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Its just more of the same from people on the left. Much like the New Yorker cover, implying thats how we on the right see Obama.

Well, Isn't that how the right wing tries to portray Obama.
That is certainly how your hero Rush Limbaugh portrays Obama.
Same with Sean and the rest of Conservative talk show hosts.

Character assassination, swift boat tactics. It's just American Political rhetoric that most thinking people are tired of. I know I am!!

But sadly it's negative campaigning that works in a nation where fear is the operative principle.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

No, it isn't. Thats how the left wing media claims Rush and Sean portray him. Without any actual facts to back it up though. Its yet another example of the left turning people in to victims with outright lies.

I listen to Rush almost everyday while I work and I can honestly says hes never pushed the idea that Obama is a Muslim.

Character assassination, swift boat tactics. It's just American Political rhetoric that most thinking people are tired of. I know I am!!

You mean democrats are sick of losing elections. Democrats use all these tactics when it suits them.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

No, it isn't. Thats how the left wing media claims Rush and Sean portray him. Without any actual facts to back it up though. Its yet another example of the left turning people in to victims with outright lies.

I listen to Rush almost everyday while I work and I can honestly says hes never pushed the idea that Obama is a Muslim.

You mean democrats are sick of losing elections. Democrats use all these tactics when it suits them.

Dronetek. Please keep this thread on topic.

The issue is this.

Why is it that I am experiencing encounters with Christians who see a truck with both a Christian Symbol and an Obama Sticker as an oxymoron?

What is the logic which makes a vote for McCain a foregone conclusion in the minds of some Christians?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Exactly why I think its a BS story. Much like those emails that go around about Obama, the left puts out stories of mean Christians, so that everyone can sit around and bash them without feeling guilty. I see it all the time on other forums.

As a non-Christian,its pretty obvious that people are constantly making stuff up in order to turn Obama in to a victim, or his supporters by proxy. Christians ALWAYS seem to be the enemy, which is odd to me.

The situation that happened to me the other day doesn't make Obama look like a victim. It makes me wonder why someone would have issues with the fact that I am a Christian AND am voting for Obama. Please go back and read my Original Post.

Obviously anyone has the right to their opiniion, but what I encountered was someone who thought it was theologically impossible to vote for anyone but a Republican who was overtly Against Abortion & Gays.

I realize that these are both very sensitive topics today, and that some people have religious feelings about them, but the bible always taught me that this world is a "footstool Kingdom" and political issues are "of the world" not "of the spirit".

I guess I have a theological issue with why this guy has a theological issue to be exact.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

My thoughts are that you did wonderfully in your reply.

I personally am not convinced Obama is the right candidate for the job, (or McCain for that matter) but each individual, regardless of their religious affiliation must vote their own conscience.

There are as many different kinds of Christians as there are Christians. Beware of anyone who insists that if you are a Christian, a patriot, a smart person, etc, you MUST do this that or the other. They are manipulating you.

You choose who you vote for based on the things you feel matter the most, even if you do not agree with that person on every thing. There is no one right thing to do, no one right person to vote for in this election. It is more important I feel that we each search our own souls, our own hearts, and do what we feel the right thing to do is.

This country is in the trouble that it is because of group think. Because we have let people use guilt, fear, and belonging to some group to manipulate us into doing things we might not otherwise do. Doing what your heart tells you to do may not solve the worlds problems overnight. But I feel that people thinking for themselves and acting from their hearts and conscience would go a long way towards setting the stage for a better world.

Jesus doesnt speak through priests, radio show hosts, and televangelists, he speaks to you quietly in your own heart. Listen to it.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Thank you for a wonderful contribution.

Personally I happen to agree with you on all points.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
People are crazy. Who is that guy to stop and question you? Unbelievably arrogant.

As a fellow Atlantan, your story is exactly why I don't have an Obama bumper sticker on my car or in my yard. Between the fanatical left, the fanatical right, the evangelicals and the hillbilly yahoos, you never know who is sitting next to you in traffic around here or what kind of road rage they will exhibit just because they disagree with you.

Live and let live people.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

On one of these political forums, any mention of Muslims being extremists or anything perceived as negative will be met with flames from the entire forum. However, these same people constantly bash Bush, Christians and anything perceived as "white". This seems to be the same kind of story, meant to build anger against McCain, Christians and white people in general.

Perhaps you've never met an evangelical Christian, sir.

Please allow me to thoroughly disabuse you of the notion that many of them do not vote "PRO-LIFE NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE DIE IN WARS THAT REPUBLICANS SUPPORT!!!!" Evangelical voters I've met, including two of my aunts, ALWAYS vote "pro-life". And they have, multiple times, attempted to tell me why I should do the same.

This is an EXTREMELY believable story. My sympathies to the OP for dealing with the tool.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Months ago an institution was set up and went to work to take care of the legal matters and ballot access in order to run a third part candidate.
The intended beneficiary of all that was to be Huckabee.
He was going to run as a Christian candidate.
That would have slanted the election, like crazy and insured, ironically, that Obama would win as a result of splitting the conservative vote.
I was waiting for Huckabee to declare, and it is getting to the point that I think it will not happen.
There could be several reasons that could come to mind to explain why he is not doing it.
What seems likely is that McCain and Obama have adjusted their rhetoric to where there is no discernible difference between them.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Semantics..."pro-life" thus anyone disagreeing with the platform is what? ...anti-life
Can you not be in favor of both choice and life?

If the movement is as fanatical about preserving life as it claims they should be aggressively protesting our current administrations war policies.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Yeah, the more I think of it, the more I feel like I was Traffic Trolled, not to be confused with Rick Rolled. Although quite similar :-)

The guy basically flags me down to say "You are an idiot!" throws his DVD at me and then drives away.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join