It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grocery List "help"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Ok for the past 6 years I have been addicted to fast food but I am growing tired of take out and pizza and pizza pops corn dogs 1 pound bacon sandwiches, french fries and all that other trash food.

Now I need a ide for groceries since I have never bought them properly so I figured I would ask the advice of you guys here what would agood wholesome health grocery list require, send me some ideas here.

My list so far:

Snow, dungess,king Crab Legs
Milk
2 pound bag of shrimp
eggs
bread
Whole juices-not from concentrate
chicken breasts, drums and thighs
Broccoli
Cauliflower
pork cutlets
gravy bouillon
rice
tuna
salmon

and any more items would help, don't get me wrong I have been grocery shopping before many times but never with a list or ideas of what I need so any advice would be abliged.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Some fresh fruit in there would be good. And yogurt if you like it.
Be forewarned though...the junk food cravings will haunt you till you binge.
Take it slowly and don't try to change everything you eat all at once.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I agree with AccessDenied to go slowly and not change it all at once (I'm speaking from experience because I tried it also and it can backfire on you if you don't take it slow).

Your list sounds good, I might add in the following:
cereal
pretzels
cheese
some cut-up veggies in the fridge

That way you'll have quick snacks ready if you get the munchies!

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Are you talking healthy? Or just healthier than fast food? I didn't see any pasta on your list. A nice pasta salad with veggies is great for the summer. Also, you'll need veggies for green salads.

I would think you'd need some garlic for those shrimp, and it'd be nice to have it around for other foods.

I think we, as a family, eat fast food maybe once or twice a year. I make almost everything from scratch. It's also cheaper that way.

Good luck to you.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Seridium,

Bless you for making the effort, hun! I wish more people would!

I do understand the junk food cravings, and ti's perfectly correct that you won't lose them overnight...or even in a month, so be prepared. A Lot of junk food, especially pizza and burgers and desserts are very hight in processed carbohydrates...white flour mainly...it's in EVERYTHING! and is strangely addictive, and hellishly bad for us, I'm sure it help cause the cravings...in my experience anyway. If you have a problem with gluten intolerance, as a lot of people have, always go for the wholegrain option with bread...the more natural the better, and don't eat it at every meal...the basis of your diet should not be processed white flour, ever.

You list so far is a great start, but how about some real raw veg for salads...and before you run a mile, you don't have to go to the extreme of eating a whole plate of raw veg and nothing else...just a little bit with your meat is all you need, and what makes the difference is how you dress it. Simple lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil are gorgeous, with a tiny bit of salt and pepper, and maybe some balsamic vinegar...it transforms it totally...add some fresh mozzarella and suddenly you're in Italy.

What I also noticed you're missing are beans and pulses, and before you skip the rest of my post in complete disgust, remember that a lot of Caribbean and Indian cookery are based on these kind of ingredients, so they are never bland...lentils are really simple to cook, as are chick peas. Or try kidney beans, cannelli beans or borlotti beans in a chilli or as refried beans...it's so simple, and you can add loads of veggies to a chilli like courgette, peppers, onions, cauliflower, okra....easily get to your five a day level.

And peanut butter and banana on wholemeal toast if deee-licious!!! Try it!

Sorry if I harp on a bit, but I'm really passionate about my food, and can send you loads of easy recipes to try when you feel confident enough....and it really is LOADS cheaper to cook for yourself.

Cait

[edit on 15-7-2008 by caitlinfae]

top topics

join