It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forbidden Colours. Are There Colours We've Never Seen Before?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
A few weeks ago, I started listening to the song 'Forbidden Colours' by Ryuichi Sakamoto & David Sylvian. There's one particular line in the song that really got me thinking:

"My love wears forbidden colours"

What if there were actually forbidden colours? Colours that we've never seen before? What if it's possible that there remain colours we haven't yet discovered that look nothing like all the colours we know?

Can you imagine that? Colours we don't even know. There are a lot of things that we don't know about existence, my guess would be that we don't even know 1 percent. If that is true, do you think it's possible that there are "Forbidden Colours"?

And if there are and they are forbidden, why would they be forbidden? If there are forbidden colours, could it be that they somehow serve a purpose that we don't yet know either?

Keep in mind, this is just a theory. I don't have evidence for it, this is just an idea. An idea to help expand your mind and consider possibilities that you've never contemplated before.

If anyone feels they have something to contribute or add, be my guest. Just remember this is only an idea and not something I'm saying is fact.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I guess there are colours we cant see just like there are frequencies we cant hear. I wouldnt necessarily call them "Forbidden" but simply things we cant perceive with the way we use our five senses.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Also you have to consider our ability to reproduce colors, If you look at a printer you can only print a yellow, red, or blue as deep as the ink that came with it. Or a TV can only reproduce a range of colors that the phosphurs can reproduce. There are computer monitors out there though that can reproduce a billion different colors, I don't know if there color "range" is outside of what we currently can reproduce though. Plasma TV's have a pretty good range, thats why if you ever look at one in HD you will notice that the colors look "more" of that color.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I agree, I wouldn't exactly call them "Forbidden" either. But I guess I called them that because of the title of the song I was listening to.

But maybe there could be colours we haven't seen before, that we could see with our normal eyesight. But we just haven't come across them because maybe the lighting that causes those colours or chemicals, we've never come across. I don't know though, just a thought

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Also consider nature, Most of the colours we know can be found in nature.
A lot of food colourings actually come from natural sources.

Why would these forbidden/invisible colours not be found somewhere in our natural environment?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Zul007

That's what I've been thinking about though. All the colours we can make, come from just 3 main ones; red, blue and yellow. But what if there were more, other basic colours that you can't make from those three?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I guess I should of mentioned this before
but I was thinking more along the lines of alien environments. Or other dimensions. I was looking at videos on Youtube to do with 4d animations, well hypothetical 4d animations. And I started wondering if there are colours we've never seen, because we can't perceive them or understand them.

Or maybe there are some parts of the universe, where there are chemicals we never knew existed, that produce these colours.

Does anyone think this is possible?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Yes I certainly think there are colours which are not derivations of some colour of our plane/planet but are unique and not known by us. On lucid dreamscapes Ive travelled to places and seen colours I didnt have a name for and quickly forgot after waking up. The only memory of them was "unknown colour" but I couldnt describe what it is SIMILAR to when awake, just like I couldnt say red is similar to yellow.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Wow, that's really interesting! Thank you for that, that's exactly what I'm talking about

I guess you forgot about them when you woke up, because you're not used to seeing those colours? And so they were easily forgotten..

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkly_Eyed777

Wow, that's really interesting! Thank you for that, that's exactly what I'm talking about

I guess you forgot about them when you woke up, because you're not used to seeing those colours? And so they were easily forgotten..

Its better if I say "unable to remember" than forgotten. The experiences were so fascinating and high-vibe that I would have loved to remember. But I just couldnt. I "knew" there was some new colour there...but what was it? The memories fade after waking up here.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Heh, you know HP Lovecraft also thought of this:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Well, considering that we only see about 3% of all light that is in existence, what you propose is not that far fetched. Given that everything we see is a reflection of light, it is not that much of a leap to suppose that there are colors we don't see as well.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I will venture to say that it exists color, sound, touch and odor that is not in our reach as we have lost our connection to the spirit world 1000’s of years a go.
I have in my memory a smell that I have never sniffed in this world, I couldn’t describe it if I wanted to…maybe just a left over between my reincarnations.
I am sure that everything will be clear when I will be dead.
Kacou.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Mm, I guess that would make more sense. Because if you saw it again you'd probably recognise it.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
well what we perceive as colours are actually just different wavelengths of light, our eye can percieve everything within a certain range and the changes in frequency are perceived as the colours of the spectrum. ultra violet is outside our range, so i suppose that would be a colour we can't see, although i believe some animals can see it. we can see and produce every mixture of colours within our range, so i don't expect that there would be any new colours, unless we modify the eye in some sense, to widen the band of perception.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Zul007

Thanks a lot for that!

I did try doing a quick search on Google to see if there was anyone else with this idea, but I didn't find anything

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

That's essentially my point. Given that we only see about 3% of the light that is actually there to see, it stands to reason we wouldn't see all colors.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
That's what I was getting at. Because light affects the colours of everything we see. And also there are most likely unknown chemicals that would react differently with the light we have, but also if there was a different sort of light.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparkly_Eyed777

I see your point now you say that.
I guess that it is possible.

Like species we don't know about, lifeforms we don't know about and no reason why there can't be colours in alien landscapes or worlds we don't know of.
Good question and interesting points raised

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by kacou
I will venture to say that it exists color, sound, touch and odor that is not in our reach as we have lost our connection to the spirit world 1000’s of years a go.
I have in my memory a smell that I have never sniffed in this world, I couldn’t describe it if I wanted to…maybe just a left over between my reincarnations.
I am sure that everything will be clear when I will be dead.
Kacou.

And maybe it's not just because of a lost connection to the spirit world. There could also exist sound, touch and odour as well as colour, that we haven't discovered yet in this reality.

Maybe everything will become more clear when we're dead..or maybe it might get more complicated? Maybe after death, we learn some answers, but we find we have a lot more questions?

I definitely think though, that with other dimensions (is the spirit world another dimension?) that there would be new discoveries to be found, that are nothing like what we know.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join