It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So because I dont believe this guys story with no evidence, that makes me a CIA , NSA, FBI operative

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
What about splitting the Aliens/UFO's forum into two groups: One with anecdotal stories/Possible Hoaxes, and the other with Pictures/Video/Evidence? You know, that way it will make thread searching alot faster for the educated poster.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
(reply to justamomma)

I hear what you are saying and I agree...to a point.

I'm not talking about every thread....just the ones that are obviously garbage. Like many others here, I have noticed an increase in REALLY stupid threads here on ATS and yes I do avoid them, but do they not still detract from the seriousness and credibility of the site as a whole? Its bad enough that most people look at us as weirdo's and nut cases for our beliefs, do we really need the obvious garbage to bring us down even further?

All I am saying is that the forum mod's and site owners do have the capability to remove a thread for these reasons but then they end up being called government stooges, dis info agents etc. I just figured if we put it to the regular members as a kind of voting system by your peers then at least that would put an end to the name calling somewhat. Maybe the mod's and owners could have the final say whether or not the vote is passed.

I don't know, maybe im just full of crap and talking out of my a$$. I'm just really proud to belong to ATS and just want to help make it a better, more respected place to be a part of.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by QBSneak000]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

and i do understand your point.

i do feel kind of turned off by some of the stuff on UFO's on here. i am not a skeptic, nor a harcore believer. but using common sense, i tend toward believing. but bc some of the stuff on here seems a bit out there, i tend away from those threads; not all, just a lot of them. who knows what i could be missing in way of good conversation, but i will admit to gettting annoyed when ppl will only see things their way. to me objectiveness is the key to everything and thus someone turning away from it tends to tell me their point is worthless.

still, everyone is entitled to their opinion and being the grown adult i am, i can make choices to stay away from these kinds of threads. that is all i am saying.

there are some things that i feel are "real," but i just don't post it bc #1. i tend to like to see if the thoughts are being revealed to others as well first and 2nd. i have no objective proof.

others want to run w/ the first thought that comes to their head and personally, i support it even if i don't necessarily agree or want to entertain it.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

But you already vote on it. You vote with every post. I have watched threads that had nothing going for them run to 12 pages because 4/5 of the people bumping them back to the top were quackers screaming "hoax", "trash it", "liar" and a few mild "I don't believe this", with just a smattering of fence setters and "true believers" in the whole thing.

Even a thread that starts good, and then gets proven a [HOAX] such as the drones, has a few hangers on, but it's no big deal. To this day, there's some folks that bring it to life once in a while. So what? They remind me of people setting in the corner whispering trading nude pictures; they may be "into it", but I don't need to go see what they're doing, or tell them to stop doing it. They're not hurting me.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Yes, but the problem is not just seen in the UFO forum, its site wide. I only joined a few months ago and even in that short time I have seen a dramatic decline in the quality of posts here. We want the world community to take us (ATS community) seriously yet we are inundated with certain posts that slowly eroding any possible credibility that we have.

Yes we can choose not to read but that doesn't stop the damage being done by those certain posts.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Oh ok, I think I see what you are saying. So posts that no one responds to are removed?

Hey im new and still learning. I am just a pup in the ATS den.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightVision
What about splitting the Aliens/UFO's forum into two groups: One with anecdotal stories/Possible Hoaxes, and the other with Pictures/Video/Evidence? You know, that way it will make thread searching alot faster for the educated poster.

Well, keep this under your hats, but I was channelled by a reptillian from a star system I can't spell, who was passing through from the future, and he told me that he did see a new forum on ATS. He couldn't tell me exactly when, as their measure of time and ours are subjectively diffrent.

Unfortunately, the one time he materialized in my car, I didn't have my camera phone charged up, so you'll just have to take my word that this really did happen, and because he seemed benevolent, I'm sure he wouldn't have lied to me.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I agree with NGC2736.

Even though I (strongly) dislike many of threads, I don't think anyone should be deciding, other than based on the rules and T&C, what's allowed or not, what gets deleted and so on.

You don't like something? Do what I do: don't post or don't even read it, if it's a certain subject you already know you don't appreciate.

Personally, I would like to see something like this implemented.

I also believe the forum should be separated. One part for the serious debate and research of cases, and the other part for the stories, and youtube videos, etc.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by danx

I also believe the forum should be separated. One part for the serious debate and research of cases, and the other part for the stories, and youtube videos, etc.

Splitting a forum is creating a new one, really. And it's a big step in some respects. I'm sure there's a lot of coding, and IT problems.

And each new forum is more jumping around for the staff. We already have so many forums that we're busier than a comb at a Frankie Avalon concert. (You have to be a certain age to "get" that one.
)

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
Splitting a forum is creating a new one, really.

Yes, most likely.

And it's a big step in some respects. I'm sure there's a lot of coding, and IT problems.

Well, I'm not sure it would be that big of deal. Not even sure if it would require any coding. The XMB forum software ATS is based on, has management systems to easily create/delete/modify forums. Of course I cannot speak to what customizations have been made and how it influences these systems.

And each new forum is more jumping around for the staff.

And I would feel for you guys

But I think it would improve, not only the quality of the discussion and research, but it would also ease up the tension and animosity amongst some posters.

Regardless of the software implications or the workload for the mods, you don't agree it would be a good idea?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I'm not talking about every thread....just the ones that are obviously garbage. Like many others here, I have noticed an increase in REALLY stupid threads here on ATS and yes I do avoid them, but do they not still detract from the seriousness and credibility of the site as a whole?

Wow...

Most of the time, the (volunteer) staff of ATS is accused of censorship, being disinfo agents, etc., etc. and now people WANT us to judge every thread and deem what should be considered for scholarly discussion?

There are a few glaring problems with this:

1. Manhours: It would take more than our current mod team (at a hefty multiplier) to do such a task.

2. One man's garbage is another man's gold. None of it has "proof"...who's to judge what's "good" and what "isn't". Only with proper research can one truly make an educated decision on a case. To judge this, mods would need to research each posted topic!

3. Censorship: one of the best things about sites like this is the chance to speak your mind. Censorship is very against the "Deny Ignorance" motto...

4. Have to take the good with the bad: Just like UFOlogy, you have to accept the good with the bad here as well...does a scientist throw out samples he just doesn't care for, or does he look for what caused the anomolies?

Last but not least, it's up to the members to determine what is "valid" information, not the mods. If you think it's trash, don't reply, and let it die quickly off the page...simple as that really. All we're here to do is to ensure the terms and conditions of the site are followed, and offer any general assistance we can. Contrary to popular opinion, we are not thought police, nor do we desire to be...

Oh ok, I think I see what you are saying. So posts that no one responds to are removed?

No, they aren't removed, they just get pushed back as other threads get responses, until they are on page 2, then 3, etc., etc. (otherwise known as thread-kill).... The only posts that are "removed" are those violating the terms and conditions, or those requested to be removed by members, or posts which would result in legal actions.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Gazrok]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

we're busier than a comb at a Frankie Avalon concert.

Too funny yet it does get your point across.

I would like to thank everyone for their comments as it does help me learn and grow here at ATS and its obvious I still have a lot to learn.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
All in favor of splitting the UFO's/Aliens forum into two distinct sections (A:Anecdotal/B:Evidence), star this post.

P.S. I could think of about 3 forums that are slow enough to be deleted on the board to make up for the traffic/bandwidth.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by NightVision]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
For me i think that everyone is entitled to an opinion, no matter if you are a gov. dis info agent or not

Seriously though....

Comming to a new thread with a certain degree of restraint is actually good, instead of starting to call people names, degrading them in one way or other.
In most cases the OP does not have any hard evidence to show, only an experience to tell as a story.

Some things are a bit difficult to digest i know, but should the OP be thrashed because he/she is telling something they perhaps have experienced, or something they believe strongly to be?

Some of you debunkers/sceptics or whatever you wish to be called, sometimes when you post, i dont understand why, really, why?
When it clearly shows after a few posts that the contribution of your posts, does not add or change anything, other than making the thread more popular (This last line is not only for the sceptics....).

Denying ignorance, is not the same as denying belief.

But other than that, i think the gov. dis info agents are quite entertaining...

EDIT: too tired really

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Balez]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
2. One man's garbage is another man's gold. None of it has "proof"...who's to judge what's "good" and what "isn't".

Jeremy Vaeni and I just got bent on another board some weeks ago for this kinda thing. And Gaz, man I see your point, but there's got to be a time where people take a stand against the permeating nonsense. I'm not talking about borderline issues, but the real hardcore blatant B.S.

It's got no place in this subject. I understand the methodology of not alienating certain members, but sooner or later you decide whether you want rational discourse, or just another campfire story outlet.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jritzmann

Jeremy Vaeni and I just got bent on another board some weeks ago for this kinda thing.

You teamed up with Vaeni? Oh boy.....turning UFOlogy into a comedy act are we?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

You teamed up with Vaeni? Oh boy.....turning UFOlogy into a comedy act are we?

If it's regarding the Meier case? It's nothing but comedy to begin with...it definitely ain't UFOlogy.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'll second that! (Meier = comedy)

It's got no place in this subject. I understand the methodology of not alienating certain members, but sooner or later you decide whether you want rational discourse, or just another campfire story outlet.

True, but we've never taken that position as moderators. We've always let the members decide this. If truly suggesting a split forum, my advice would be to post in the board business section, so it gets seen by more senior staff and admins. However, I feel the manpower needed to disseminate this would be more than could be mustered, personally, with a volunteer staff. Not to mention the board drama that would likely ensue from daily moves.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jritzmann

If it's regarding the Meier case? It's nothing but comedy to begin with...it definitely ain't UFOlogy.

Comedy or not, it kinda makes you and Vaeni look like amateurish kids toying around in a garage giggling about with your wigs and rayguns, rather than the educated UFOlogists you present yourselves to be. It helps to keep the UFOlogy pot nice and muddied.(Which is why I am suggesting a forum split in the 1st place) I'm not turning this into a Billy Meier thread. Your time is probably better spent on more current UFO analysis. Just my 2 cents.
...back on topic.....

[edit on 15-7-2008 by NightVision]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
The real problem is that for a true skeptic, no proof is enough, and for someone who has experienced a UFO first hand, no more proof is necessary. I have seen many threads derailed because the skeptics attacted it like it was poison. This effect happens in most all conspiracy type forums.

I think you make a good point here. If an alien were to sit next to a skeptic, they would still not believe it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join