It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children are being overly SPOILED! lazy & selfish

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
So im not necessarily "vintage", im in my lower 20s, i grew up in a fairly well to do house hold and i have had a lot of life experience. more so than most people my age and im extremely grateful for that.

But one thing that i have noticed is that children now are so SPOILED! with the large middle class now, more and more spending money is being delegated to teens and even preteens for entertainment. And these kids don't even work for their money or the toys their parents give them (ie, cell phones, laptops, cars, etc).

Im in collage now and even the kids im surrounded by here just irritate me to living hell. I see these girls riding around in their $40,000 BMW's that they got from their dads for doing NOTHING. Those poor girls probably haven't worked a day in their lives. You hand them a broom they probably think its a piece of abstract art and stic kit on their walls.

they have a self entitled attitude towards everything. Just look at Paris Hilton. that type of attitude. They go around treating everyone like # just because they presume they are richer than anyone who isn't decked in $3000 in clothes. Me owning my own company yet living a conservative life find this completely assanying! i worked my butt off for what i got. did it all on my own too. And im proud as hell of that. But that in no way makes me better than anyone.

the problem is this then becomes a trend from all the other children trying to be cool. This self entitled attitude when they don't do anything but have everything handed to them by their parents.

For example. Who has seen the show MY SUPER SWEET 16...God that makes me vomit.

But another big problem is these kids entering the job force. A lot of the people im going to school with are getting jobs and there incompetent. they take breaks all the time thinking there irreplaceable, they act like there in charge when they have no reason to give authority over someone.

Were going to have a whole generation of kids who all try and squeak by in the workforce and fail because they aren't used to working for themselves, working for what they want, and working to sustain their overly extravagant lifestyle.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I totally agree with what you are saying here. I see it everywhere. Children are no longer raised with the parents in the home, they are guided by social pressures and tv and games instead. In most households now the parents rarely get to spend time with the kids because of working to pay for them. Sad. I would rather be poor, live in an old dump of a house and get to spend every moment I could with my children, risking social stigma and replacing it with the love and attention of parenting. Family memories cannot be made with the parents absent.

I have been dealing with a spoiled brat of a woman, she has been in our hotel for approx 2 months now, she is rude, hateful, demanding, at every chance she lashes out at the housekeepers and reminds them she is a woman of means and has the power to get them fired, she barks orders at every employee in here. Last night I went off on this woman, she had told me previously that her mother substituted love for money and that the Bently she drives is some of that 'love', she told me this with a giant smile on her face too, it is what she is used to. She was telling me last night that 'although I could never understand what it is like to be wealthy like her that she needed someone to talk to' and I told her I thought she was the saddest thing I had ever seen, I would much rather have the love of my mother any day than money. She started yelling at me that I had 'lost my place' and spoken to her in a demeaning way. I lashed right back at her, and told her that didn't she understand that all the bragging she does, all the nose in the air attitude, is why she is alone? Oh, she got mad. She promised me I would not have a job today. Typical of someone who does not value the life and hardships of another. I left my manager a note, telling him I was sorry I cracked, it really got a lot uglier than I am telling you all right now, and I expected to lose my job. When I came into work tonight he was waiting for me at the front desk, along with his business partner. Oh jeez, I am gonna have to find another job. I was wrong, they praised me for standing up to her. Even they find her attitude and disposition to be appalling. In the morning she will be told to leave the premises. Then some other hotel will have to deal with this product of the times. A casualty of what not staying home with your kids, and pouring money instead of time into their lives, someone who no one wants to be around.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I suppose this is the generation gap. Im in my lower 20s too and I noticed pretty much the same thing. The self centeredness is the worse though! Its ridiculous, and the lack of respect and the overall lack of common sense...wtf

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I would like to say that this is a generalization but as grow older and look at the world around me I can see that this is very true.

Then again, I live in Southern California.. It's pretty bad where I am. My family wasn't ever in a strong monetary situation but my 17-year-old younger sister acts this way as well because of the rich/spoiled friends that she has and because of what she sees on the television, mostly MTV. :\

I always thought that a lot of kids were just, well, kids.. so they take a while to grow out of their selfish habits, but with the media and poor parenting/inability to properly guide children because of being stuck working our tails off to feed them and give them whatever they beg for, I'm beginning to think that something has changed. I'm in my early twenties as well and I don't remember EVER disrespecting my parents and demanding things (without working a day!) in the way that I see children doing it today.

It makes me sick. Most children where I live don't even know what chores are...

On the other hand, I would like to think that a lot of our generation is 'waking up.' Perhaps that is just wishful thinking, though..

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I am proud to see that you are young people posting this, and you agree, and see what is happening. Maybe things are going to come to light, if just a handful of you 20 something ATS members can see this and wish for change, then there is hope! Teach your younger siblings that there is more to life, go with them on a hike, fishing, riding around, play some board games, make them realize that family is more important than fashion or being cool. Children learn by example and doing.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
its just frustrating. A lot of the sweet kids i knew growing up are now complete nightmares. where i live there are a lot of fraternities and sororities and they pretty much decide who is eligible to join each fraternity or sorority based on how rich you are. Its just sad!

I personally hate the greek (sorority/fraternity) lifestyle here at my campus (U.Tex). You drive by the sorority house and every car is a BMW or Mercedes. haha. there so obsessed with money! Where im from there pretty much just clubs for people to meet people who are rich like them. I know it isn't like this everywhere and it wasn't like this in the past to the same extent.

and yes i do think it is heavily influenced with the Southern California lifestyle which is now promoted out the @ss by Shows like Laguna beach, OC, my super sweet 16, etc......

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
On one hand, I completely agree with you. On the other hand, this has been said by every generation for eternity.

It does appear to be more significant now though, but I would imagine that it has a lot to do with us living through it. I would hate to see what the youth will be like in 100 years.

Posts like this remind me of "Idiocracy". If you haven't seen it, you should.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
On one hand, I completely agree with you. On the other hand, this has been said by every generation for eternity.

It does appear to be more significant now though, but I would imagine that it has a lot to do with us living through it. I would hate to see what the youth will be like in 100 years.

Posts like this remind me of "Idiocracy". If you haven't seen it, you should.

i haven't seen it unfortunately. I heard that was supposed to be good! ill have to check it out sometime!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
First, kudos to space cadet for standing up to that monster of a woman. Perhaps once she's given the boot she will take some time to re-think her life. I can not stand the selfish, self-serving, ENTITLED attitude that most people have today. I also work customer service and I see it all day.

Heh, I was born and raised in Laguna Beach. It used to be a humble hippy/artist town but what it has become in the past few years, I just can't handle. Whoever is pulling the strings is laughing at us while they take all our money and convince us that the life of the rich and famous is the only way to live and be happy and that stepping on your fellow man to obtain higher status is the only way to get there.

It truly breaks my heart.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Yes Yes YEs yes!!!

Thank you for bringing this topic up. I agree with every single poster in here. My Super Sweet 16 wants to make me vomit. Iwish I could reach through the screen and bitch slap every single one of them. and the damned parents too.

My parents made good money and I couldn't even ask them for 20 bucks if I wanted to. at 14 I had my first job, it was mandatory, working after school till sometimes 8PM stocking the milk freezers at the local grocery store.

At 18 I was kicked out of the house cause thats what all the males in my family got at 18. out of the nest and learning how to pay bills all by myself.

My first car was a 1976 volvo station wagon lime green.

Meanwhile I would drive to school and these worthless trust fund brats would literally be driving up in new 500sl's. what kind of asshole parents give their 16 year olds with absolutely no riving experience a 90K-110K car?

These trust fund babies make me sick. The only solace I have is that eventually in their early 40's they'll run their trusts and family inheritance into the ground. these idiots know nothing about making money, they know how to spend it but they have absolutely no financial aptitude.

I live in Los Angeles and I see it so much I should probably go on meds to keep my pulse down.

The other day I was driving home from work stuck in traffic on rodeo dr in beverly hills. While stuck at a light I watched with complete vitriol while a gaggle of 13 year old girls marched across the street with no parents all on their cell phones, all dragging several bags each of super high end trendy clothes probably worth a few thousand each. these kids throw temper tantrums when their parents don't give the m a raise on their $1000 weekly allowance. Thats 48K in allowance money for these brats a year to blow.

Don't even get me started on the brats from calabasas and agoura, they make the laguna beach kids look well behaved.

space cadet. thank you for telling that waste of human skin what time it was. Glad she'll be out of your hair soon. keep up the good work disciplining these brats.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
and another thing. my boss decided she was going to buy her darling little son (who's one of those brats that throws attitude and is a complete poser) for his 16th b-day a s8 audi. a used a4 I could understand but an s8!!!!!!!!!! then she says here honey heres 5k go accessorize the car. so what does he do he goes and putsthe rims on it, a kazoo on the tail pipes (why it's a s8?) illegal limo tint on everything, tried moding the chip with a racing chip, and wanted to go to a higher stage turbo (why it's an s8?) I tell her it's not a good idea, he's going to one void the warranty, two get busted by the cops.

so in the first week what happens the little darling gets a ticket for illegal tint and for running a stop sign and for driving at an unsafe speed. two incedences three tickets!! does he get n trouble with his mom? does he get yelled at? does he get grounded? does she take the car away? nope. she responds with well boys will be boys, isn't my child so special and darling.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Haha, wow you have your share of horror stories.

i really don't know what to do about the kids. the schools don't really do much either to shape the kids.
i was fortunate enough to go to a tiny private high school out in the middle of the country where most of my classmates were raised on ranches and hard working families. and i remember sports were pretty much mandatory. and i learned A LOT about character from that. i was pushed till i puled every day. Track, baseball, swim, football, basketball. we all had responsibility.
i learned what pain and hard work was. But most of my friends would wake up at 5, go take care of their morning duties at the farm and then show up at 6 for weights, then we wouldn't get home till almost 10PM.

I had some grade A youngsters to grow up with. Then i was exposed to the real world for collage and i have been completely disgusted.

I really think schools should implement more sports. Not so much for the exercise which they sure as hell could use, but it would instil lsoem work ethic.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by ghostlandseller]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a product of society, thats what the problem is.

too politically correct, driven by consumerism and selfish needs, put the most important person first (me), be critical of everything i dont like or agree with, but nobody is wrong coz we cant say that anymore, everyone deserves a medal or prize - even last place, cant say teh wrong thng to the spoiled kids coz they will bark back with I KNOW MY RIGHTS type BS..

ya know - someone tells off a kid only to hear "YOUR not my daddy YOU cant tell ME what to do, ill tell my daddy on you" type attitude... and the parents accept it coz its fine for their 6 yr old to talk down to a 30yr old adult, even if the kid is acting badly

the other part of the prob is parents that seem to think substituting money in place of love and TRUE parental behaviour are all fine n dandy.

gotta walk on egg shells, or someone might sue or put in a complaint.

[edit on 15/7/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I don't know if this is running rampant in your city, but it is all over LA. kids thinking they are bad ass. like they are the alpha males in the world. I'm sorry but you're 17 hanging out in the In-N-Out burger parking lot with your daddys car and your other poser wannabe friends, you weigh 140 lbs and have perfectly mainucured nails and are wearing designer clothes. stop pretending that you are badass, stop pretending that you are a thug, and stop mad dogging people in the drive through, before somebody beats that smirk off your face. seriously they should change the law so that adults are allowed to smack kids into their late teens for being a bunch of punks, get them to respect the real world for once. just cause you listen to rap doesn't make you a peer to the guy singing about it, you grew up in lilly whiteboy land, and to everybody else who has actually experienced the real world you look as retarded as jamie kennedy's character in malibu's most wanted.

Are kids running around like this in your neighborhood. 13 year old kids telling grown men that they are gong to kick their ass cause they just don't give a what. Cause they're gangsta. please your a mark. know it off you wannabes.

Acting like they are sporting a gun but in reality have never even held one, and would get a little shy about it if the chance were offered to them, thinking their cars are race cars even though it's a 140hp honda with a kazoo on the tail pipe, but can't even bust a move with their car if they're life depended on it.

also whats with all the materialism going rampant too. broke as suckas buying glass earings and pretending that they are real diamonds. getting rims on their crappy cars that are worth more than the actual car it's self. please actual rich peole don't do tht, and you aren't fooling anybody who is rich, you look like putz's when you dress like that. and pull your pants up. they are supposed to sit over your ass not under it. how you gunna run from the cops with your pants down around your ankles. oh wait thats probably how you paid for he fake ear rings, having your pants around your ankles. don't forget to grab them ankles for your next VIP pass to hang out at the wannabe gangsta awards. I hear they are holding it in woodland hills this year.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
So many places where blame could be put, and I agree with all those who posted before me.
It's true that teachers hands are tied nowadays, as far as discipline goes, and so are parents. You try to discipline your child in any way, and they turn around and threaten to call the police or social services on you!
Yes, a lot of parents working long hours gives way to this as well.
I grew up in a household with 2 working parents, babysitters galore, and eventually a latch key kid. I got into lots of trouble too.
Media also plays a part. Even shows I see on Family/Disney channel, like to portray young kids doing all kinds of things to get into trouble and it's put forth as comedy!
Gone are the days when our parents told us to play outside all day, and use our imagination to figure out how to pass the time.
For me, I try to raise my kids right. I certainly don't claim to be perfect.
I have my older children living with me. My 21 year old, and my 19 year old, and my 14 year old sons, all work for their own money AND pay room and board to stay here.I wouldn't have it any other way. They also contribute to saving money in their bank accounts.
I don't buy them a thing. They want a cell phone, xbox, new clothes whatever..they buy it themselves.
If it means saving up to make a big purchase, they do so. What am I teaching them if I give it to them on a silver platter?
There is NOWHERE in life that hands you what you want. You earn it.
I don't know why parents are not teaching this to their kids. I don't know why teachers are not teaching the ethics of actually WORKING for a living.
Society does not hand you a life. You make one for yourself.

OP, Extremely good post.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
and it seems like hilton spears or lohan are all young girls hero's and the life they want or like to emulate

do any of them have hero's or look up to people like mother theresa or amelia airhart or joan of arc-----whatever happened to noble women like these---i would bet 99% of young girls have no clue who these women are or what they did

it's sad to see the degredation of society and values

do you even know of any famous women scientists or notable women these days=-----i sure don't

but fox news and cnn just told me all about hannah montana's naked shower pics,,,. thank god they cover the important stuff

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
This Subject is something that has me very angry.
MTV is a scourge to society, Anything that promotes that kind of spoiled and ignorant behaviour should be banned. Whenever i see my super sweet 16 on tv it makes me want to smash the t.v, But what makes me even more angry is the fact that my younger sister seems to watch it religiously.. And since she started watching it have noticed a change in her behaviour and the manner in which she treats people, All that matters is what she gets or has, the only time i hear her sayin 'i love you' to my mother or father is when she is looking to get or after getting something of value(financially) and when she doesnt get what she wants... well... its not pretty, its actually quite disturbing to see how much influence t.v has turned out to have on this generation of BRANDED CONSUMER KIDS,
where the next trend is more important to them then thier next hot meal..

I have tryed to talk to her calmly about watching MTV's Flagship shows and the respose i ge is her rolling her eyes at me and saying 'JEEZ y are you so annoying' and if my mother or father says anything she starts balling her eyes out screaming 'its NOT FAIR, Everyone else is allowed to watch it', It would be one thing if she was 7 or 8 but she is 15 years old, I cant understand how this show could mean so much to her, She speaks in an american accent( We're irish) she listens to the same music on my super sweet 16, she acts like them, Admires them..... I Know that she has been brainwashed by the systematic consumer brainwashing that mtv provides en masse and it discustes me, i want to talk to her but with the reaction i get i dont know what more i can say?!
Im just going to have to wait and hope that she manages to grow up enough at some stage to maybe attempt to switch of the tv and listen to the people that love her, But the way things are going it is looking more and more unlikely.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I would love to blame the kids for this. Even after I just upgraded my car to one that will hold better value I still see high school and college kids with cars more expensive than mine would have cost brand new. Yes many of the youth today do think that they are owed a great deal and have to do nothing to get it. You can see that in many of the posts here on ATS just look around and read carefully what they say.

But I also have been seeing a large number of adults that act the same way. The adults that are not acting like this are doing little to nothing to stop their children from acting like this.

I would love to blame the kids for this in its entirety but that is not the case. The parents could be blamed for not stopping it or enforcing better behavior but they might fight a meaningless battle. I think the heart of the blame lays strictly on society for allowing people to start acting like this to start with. Look on TV, in magazines, and listen to some music and the life they promote.

Can this be fixed? Yes, but it would take a lot of work on everyone’s part. Will it ever go away? No, there are always going to be people who are truly worthless and will have the attitude they should not have to do anything to get what they have. I work my tail off to finally have a nice car, a house and a family. My wife works hard as well to help make sure we keep this. My son will learn to do chores to get an allowance and to learn some respect. If he wants a car he will get a used car and have a job after school to at the very least pay for gas in the thing. He will not get a car that has a lot of H.P. either as a teen. I have seen enough kids go out and wreck sports cars because they could not handle such a car. This does nothing but raise the rates for everyone.

Raist

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Honestly, I really don't see much of a problem. When push comes to shove, these kids, the ones we speak about, really fall into two main groups.

1) Kids with parents that spoil them until they leave the house.

2) Kids with parents that have enough money to support them their whole lives.

The former learn quickly that life is the way it is. Most become normal adults. The latter have and always be this way.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I disagree to a point. Many of those youth are turning into adults who play the game of life to get what they want. If you look closely at rules that are set in companies and even law to a certain extent, you can still cheat your way through life. Every so often they just have to think a little harder to accomplish what they want.

Even if they are only barely doing things legally to get a dollar from someone, add enough of those some ones in and you can get some big money going. Even if someone is getting swindled out of a few dollars they think of that as such a small amount that they say nothing to the police or anyone else about it.

You also have those that take a spot in a relationship simply to get what they can out of it and add little or nothing to it emotionally or even physically. One of the young girls on this Mary show (I know, but it was the only thing on) I caught on break at work the other day said she had a sugar daddy she was 14. There were several others there like her all of them were acting like fools and would have been nice to see someone put them in their place. These girls were completely crushing their mothers (since no fathers were there I guess they lived in a single mother home). They were even threatening the audience and these girls were 12-16. All thought they were owed whatever they wanted they were from what I could tell getting it from whoever would give it to them for whatever reason. Say what you will but when I was a kid if you spoke like that to your parent you were picking yourself up off the ground.

Many may grow out of it though, but I am seeing an increase in adults that act the same.

Raist

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join