It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The death of the US Democracy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The death of the US Democracy

www.economyincrisis.org

A tiny handful of elites, including many from abroad, control most of the corporations, media, think tanks, law firms, banks, investment groups, courts and other entities that shape U.S. policies. Meanwhile, the United States has become an “unrepresentative democracy,” whose leaders regularly enact laws and regulations opposed by vast majorities of the American people.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Interesting to see why in America the people can not get their elected politicians to work for them.

The reason is because they are working for somebody else and more often enough they are not even American they are elite foreigners.

www.economyincrisis.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

How Corporate Elitism And Greed Are Destroying Democracy

God knows I can agree with a title like that, I just wish the article was more expansive. Am I not clicking correctly?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
just like in Britain the greed for Saudi money is stronger than the need to help the voters...

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
just like in Britain the greed for Saudi money is stronger than the need to help the voters...

i was just going to say that

back here the politicians live a life of luxuary with second/third homes
paid for by Taxs, while they screw us out of as much money as they can as they slowly erode the country

this isnt just the US this is Global trend

a good quote from V for Vendetta

“People should not fear their government. The government should fear its people.”

topic i made a while a ago
what is democarcy

[edit on 14-7-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I wish also that the article was more extensive but the site overall have a lot of information of how our nation is been torn apart.

Go to the home page and see all the articles, some of the will make great ATS topics.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Bilderbergers

Central Bankers

Military Industrial Complex

Corporate Giants

Welcome to the new leaders and slave drivers to the tax-paying serf population of the U.S...

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I find very sad that the last piece of America will be torn over after these elite class finish selling our Nation with the FAFTA.

From the source.

The trilateral negotiations among the leaders and governments of Mexico, the United States and Canada work without the people's consent to integrate the economic and political systems of the three nations. Their work is in secret and it is being guided by a handful of business elites. Members of this permanent governing class move effortlessly between public office and these elite organizations.

You know it will be UNAmerican if we do not fight this people with everything we have in our disposal to stop them from selling our children's legacy and future.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

And how do you purpose we fight back? It's not like we can just dump a bunch of tea in the ocean dressed as indians.

If someone can come up with a decent plan, I'm on board.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Our policies are being shaped and influenced outside of public discourse or our democratic constructs in behind-the-scenes deals conducted by the leaders of all of the entities you named, and others, that are strictly meant to make the super-rich richer. We have only the illusion of a democracy/republic...really just corporate indentured servitude.

SuperClass

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Promecus

If someone can come up with a decent plan, I'm on board.

I am in the same boat as you, I am waiting for some kind of hero that will have enough conjones and be big enough to get away from been tagged as a terrorist to open the eyes of the people and get them out of their butts and into the streets.

I will be one in the front lines if this happen.

Violence is not needed just some good mass effort.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

You know how corrupted is our own government when they are using us the tax payer to bail out the same elite financial institutions that are getting this nation in a hole.

And people still doesn't get it.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The only thing we can do (legally) is vote out every single politician who wants to be in office.

Then we need to change the campaign finance laws to keep corporate money completely out of the electoral process.

We need to begin to undo the damage to the Constitution that has been done by case law expanding corporate powers and "rights." We dont have much time left. If they expand those rights further under some new trade agreements, we may lose the opportunity completely.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

It will be over if we allow the NAFTA to go forward without any voting from the American people.

Is hard to vote out elites out of office when they control the only two poltical parties we have.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

IMO, it can't be one person. It must be millions saying "enough" and flying a finger to the system. The fact is they make money off of our labor. We stop providing them with the resource, they stop making money.

The problem is that until the entire world has a basic subsistence level, there will always be someone more destitute and desperate to do the job for less money.

This is why outsourcing should be illegal. If you reap the profits in this country, you should not be able to do so by milking the cheap labor of another country.

[edit on 14/7/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

While that is true and that is why the NAFTA will benefit more the Mexican Government than Canada, Canadians also are at disadvantage over this deal.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I totally agree that it is hard at the moment with corporate money controlling the media and the electoral process. Which is why we cant vote for any of the candidates, instead we have to write in some name. (Hell, even a random person would be better to some degree.) How we could publicize this random name is the problem. They own the airwaves.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Like the dem caught with 90k of pac money in foil in his 'congressional' freezer.
Haha....ahahahaha.
Not laughing. Apalled is more like it.
Their really is no difference between republican and dems anymore. They are all getting their collective palms greased.

I never thought a presidential election would be deep sixed on congressional congress, as opposed to popular vote.

What will it take? Hellboy on roids maybe.

Obama recently 'we should all speak Spanish'. You know where that is going. Screw spanish. I took two years in HS and didn't like it then. My tongue can't roll off those double r's.

I've read prodigously on Americans wanting to retire to Mehico. You are not "allowed" to work. And your lucky if you are not kidnapped or harangued by the policio. Or found unfortunately dead.

[edit on 7/14/2008 by jpm1602]

[edit on 7/14/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I don't disagree with the idea behind this article, I do disagree with the idea that it's a new thing, however. Look at America over the past 75 years. Our government hasn't been working to represent the will of the majority of people for quite awhile now. Prohibition, the League of Nations (even though we managed to not be in the LoN, it was an American construct), the UN, Marijuana still being illegal, a war against tobacco at a time when most Americans enjoyed smoking, Vietnam, the McCarthy witchhunts, the seizure of privately held gold, coverups on JFK, Roswell, Groom Lake, etc, the recent assault on P2P networks, the list could go on.

At what point since WWI has the American government truly operated with the will of the majority of the people in mind? Even if you consider the civil rights acts, the majority of Americans were satisfied with seperate but equal, so even when the government's actions were positive and good, they have been agenda driven with dollar signs and historical precidents in mind. We basically stopped being a democracy when, following the Civil War, a huge rift began forming between the haves and the have nots which extended all the way to the electorial college and how many votes each state got... depending on their "loyalty" to the Union. At that point it ceased being a democracy and became a good old boy system in which peer opinion and wealth became far more important for the Washington machine than constituent support and staying true to the platform used to get you into office.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Oh, may be the iron man

The political system in this nation is in a vicious cycle right now, when it comes to them versus us we are at disasvangtage because we the American people lack the money to buy ourselves some poltical butts to work for us.

Itsn't taht pathetic

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join