It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's happened to the LHC?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Maybe a huge mistake occured and there trying to stop whatever disaster they created before telling the public.

We could soon see a Morgan Freeman moment from the movie Deep Impact.

The President could hold an emergency speech and tell us in June they started up the LHC and something went wrong. You can fill in the rest.

It's probably just delays.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by absente

I think this guy is bs, he said he lives in colorado but works at cern with the lhc, nice communte in the morning? Ok, not the best argument.

Anyways, just the title of his blog scream fake "I work for CERN"? Come on, not very creative.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Drapan

I know a woman who lives in springfield, MO but works for an oil company in afganistan. Its not like she drives there every morning. She goes in for a few months and then comes home.

As for the "I WORK FOR CERN" concern, what else would you rather him call the thread?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The L.H.C is currently being cooled to a temperature colder than deep space, here's a link for you news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MockedUnicorn

Yeah you're right.

But it DOES seem like he created that blog just to feed the conspiracy aspect of the LHC.

He also talks of the collider itself as "CERN" in some of his posts.
He started the blog the very same he started working there.
He said he worked at ALICE but where monitoring LHC magnets?
How is that consultant work?
US Military presence in Switzerland? Aren't they neutral?
"I am under contract with a a US defence contractor"... AFAIK there's no US defence contractors involved (Not according to Google either)

There's more but I don't have time to write more, But yeah... it might all be a conspiracy to destroy the earth by evil aliens...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Here´s a great little cartoon from xkcd.com:

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Goes online this Thursday at midnight according to:

LHC Countdown

Exciting stuff!

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Not really its only a low power test they will be doing....if the world is going to end its probably when they give it the full shabang...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by absente
It seems they are also getting rid of the physicians, who are arguing against the project:

More like, some barely literate internet guy with no credibility claims to be a physicist fired by CERN. Look at his writing. It's pretty clear he's a guy with a very poor understanding of the english language who's gotten a hold of the wikipedia article on CERN to pull numbers from.

Originally posted by Drapan
reply to post by absente

I think this guy is bs, he said he lives in colorado but works at cern with the lhc, nice communte in the morning? Ok, not the best argument.

Anyways, just the title of his blog scream fake "I work for CERN"? Come on, not very creative.

Well actually, one of my physics professors works at CERN, but lives out here in sunny California. It's a hell of a commute, but the thing is, this sort of physics work is about information, not about physically manipulating things. Most of the work can be done through mail, E-mail, and fax. She went there for two weeks out of a three month period. She worked on one of the experiment targets. Forget which.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
only one day and six hours to go according to the clock. (anyone know why would they start up up at night time though?)

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
One of the major problems that the project is against is that there a few legal cases that are demanding the cancelation of the project. As well as that this project has the entire science community on pins. Those that like the idea and those that fear it. To cover this event there has been one of the largest comuter networking grid, with the ability to trans 1gb a second. This has taken a large amount of effort. There is also the fact that this is a first time event, in case of a one shot wonder all those that are involved want to make sure that there is the ability to capture all data.

Just be patient they will fire this sucker off and with any luck they will allow public access to the computer network grid.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

Night for you or night for them? It's in Switzerland and France, after all. I'm rather too lazy to look up when it's going online to see if it's really at night there.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
This idea dawned on me about a day ago, I was thinking that about 3-4 months ago the LHC operation was a hot media topic. supposedly there was a glitch in the device and they had to make repairs until they booted it back up. My belief is that there was no glitch at all and their findings have been kept top secret. Any ideas of what they found, what kinds of discoveries they may have made?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
They have since made a number of press releases regarding the matter. I for one am buying their story, here are a couple pics of the accident site.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/07b7b5945f39.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d6ba0694ec5.jpg[/atsimg]

In retrospect I think we were expecting quite a miracle for the most costly and massive scientific apparatus of all time to function successfully on is first go.

I cant wait for it to fire up again, we have so many questions...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I still think the LHC is a bad idea until we learn if we are living in 3+1 dimensions or 4+1 dimensions.

The difference between this is Hawking radiation and Randall-Sundrum.

If we are in 3 dimensions then if any black holes are created they will evaporate. If 4 dimensions of space + 1 of time then they could embed themselves in the fourth dimension.

I think we at least need a computer model of what will happen if we exist in 4 dimensions of space but I know when people desire something, reason is thrown out of the window.

You also have the case where 1 black hole, could connect to another black hole and keep going until we are in deep trouble.

I personally think that it's to big of a gamble. If we are wrong based on Hawking Radiation which is not proven, then we are playing a crapshoot with the world. With this you should be more certain than just a theory especially when there are other theories out there that say something different will happen.

We need computer models so we can have some idea of what we are facing if Hawking Radiation is wrong.

If we are going to put earth in the middle of this crap shoot, we at least need to know the consequences.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
""""consequences""" the man says. The scientist that set off the first A bomb was scared it would catch the atmosphere on fire and burn up the whole world but that set it off any way. Who knows what that LNC might do when it is fired up. It may do nothing and then it could do anything. And who is to say it will not work just fine for the first 10 times and then mess up and it is "GAME OVER"
What ever the case I say lets fire it up and see. Maybe that is what this worlds needs. A "RESET BUTTON"

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think many are in a kind of defensive denial when it comes to the LHC they just convince themselves the physicists must know what they are doing. The fact they ignore simple things like loss of momentum in their safety reports really is worrying though.

My own problem with it is I think no matter how small the odds the gamble is immoral, stupid and really there are safer ways of finding out these things.

I'd like to see particle colliders if they have to be run at all having one particle being accelerated striking a stationary particle I think the loss of momentum otherwise is not worth the risk.

I advise everyone to do their own research on this particular topic there is a lot out there and while it could be perfectly safe it could also be the biggest mistake ever made and completely impossible to fix. Don't take Cern's word on something so important.

The thing reminds me a lot of even god himself couldn't sink the Titanic.

Guess what it sunk first time.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I completely agree with Teknikal.

Their analogy was perfect.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by EthelMerman]

<< 1    3 >>

join