It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

APPLE (computers, ipods, iphones) is a SCAM and a GIANT RIPOFF

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Drakiir

Actually the screens I would never go for with Mac... they are too pretty :S in a graphical point of view. But that's because they are made for consumers and peace with that.
Eizo will always be the number 1 screen, and Lacie is struggeling to keep 2nd.
But yeah... If I wasn't supposed to work on it I'd get a mac screen

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

The Mac screen also doubles as a mirror so you make some savings there although it would feel weird brushing my teeth in the reflection

I have seen the HD versions of the screens and admittedly they are expensive and it depends on what its needed for also. Personally I dont need a HD Apple Cinema screen as my 20 inch and even the 24 inch iMac screen, if I went for that model does me fine.

Also the wireless Time Capsule HDD with built in N support for wifi is a godsend compared to all the other hard drives. My current one is WD my book 320 Gig and it has 3 cables which arent a problem but wireless is a better option of course.

Now if I was in a business and raking in the dough Id get a HD screen immediately, any millionaires out there with some spare cash

[edit on 18-7-2008 by Drakiir]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostlandseller

You are correct in mentioning that much of the internal parts used are from the same manufacturers and often even some the same parts.

What you failed to mention is how and when Apple Computers uses these components.

You claim that Apple is a vanity brand, and to a degree you are correct. But beyond the visual aspects of design of the computer's case that you call 'Paying for Plastic', Apple is at the forefront of technological advance in personal computing.

From the Apple wikipedia page:

In 1984, the Macintosh was introduced, which arguably advanced the concept of a new user-friendly graphical user interface.

Having learned several painful lessons after introducing the bulky Macintosh Portable in 1989, Apple introduced the PowerBook in 1991, which established the modern form and ergonomic layout of the laptop computer.

During this time, Apple branched out into consumer electronics. One example of this product diversification was the Apple QuickTake digital camera, one of the first digital cameras brought to the consumer market. A more famous example was the Newton, termed a "Personal digital assistant" or "PDA" by Sculley, that was introduced in 1993. Though it failed commercially, it defined and launched a new category of computing and was a forerunner of devices such as Palm Pilot, PocketPC, and eventually the iPhone

Just a few examples there. Underlining is my addition for clarity.
They were also created, and were the first to use IEEE 1394 (Firewire). For seeing the future need to data for video and audio.
FireWire

FireWire is Apple Inc.'s name for the IEEE 1394 High Speed Serial Bus. It was initiated by Apple and developed by the IEEE P1394 Working Group, largely driven by contributions from Apple, although major contributions were also made by engineers from Texas Instruments, Sony, Digital Equipment Corporation, IBM, and INMOS/SGS Thomson (now STMicroelectronics).
Apple intended FireWire to be a serial replacement for the parallel SCSI (Small Computer System Interface) bus while also providing connectivity for digital audio and video equipment. Apple's development began in the late 1980s, later presented to the IEEE[2], and was completed in 1995. As of 2007, IEEE 1394 is a composite of four documents: the original IEEE Std. 1394-1995, the IEEE Std. 1394a-2000 amendment, the IEEE Std. 1394b-2002 amendment, and the IEEE Std. 1394c-2006 amendment. On June 12, 2008, all these amendments as well as errata and some technical updates were incorporated into a superseding standard IEEE Std. 1394-2008. Publication of this standard is expected mid October 2008[3]

They were also the first to use USB. Because of the cultural 'phenomena' that the computer it was used in, it became a new de facto standard.
USB

The USB 1.0 specification was introduced in November 1995. USB was promoted by Intel (UHCI and open software stack), Microsoft (Windows software stack), Philips (Hub, USB-Audio), and US Robotics. Originally USB was intended to replace the multitude of connectors at the back of PCs, as well as to simplify software configuration of communication devices.
The original Apple "Bondi blue" iMac G3, introduced 6 May 1998, was the first computer to offer USB ports as standard [2], including the connector for its new keyboard and mouse.[3] USB 1.1 came out in September 1998 to help rectify the adoption problems that occurred with earlier iterations of USB.[4]

I could go on, and discuss the innovations of OS X since 1999 up until, and after the release for Windows Vista (Longhorn) in 2007. But that is its own bag of worms, and I believe a no brainer.

One would think that someone who claims such a keen understanding of personal computing would understand that APPLE computers are at the cutting edge of visual design and engineering innovation.

Yes Apple Computers are less serviceable than Lenovos/Dells/HPs to a degree, I contend that the multitude of proprietary drivers needed for certain models makes them harder to maintain.

The sum total is truly greater than the parts when it comes to Apple Computers. The Premium you pay for is a computer that has all the bells and whistles, and won't be obsolete in 6 months.

I have a feeling that your Rant has more to do with a Sanford and Son mentality, and you are upset that you cannot pass the 'premium price' of a whole Apple Computer onto your consumers when you take it apart and find standard issue parts.

Years ago Apple was crucified for being 'too proprietary', now they are getting lambasted for not providing enough 'difference for your dollar'... Funny, they still make the most consistent, rock solid products...

At least they have since I bought my first Mac 1993, and have ever since. My first Mac still boots, a Powerbook Duo, although only has a 120 mb hd/16mb ram. How many 15 year old laptops do you have that still boot, and only show minimal wear? Not many that aren't Macs...

How is this a conspiracy by the way?
DocMoreau

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

I think the point the OP is missing is yes the parts can be the same but its how those parts are utilized by Apple and the construction and look of the Macs that make the difference. I know I can have 4 Gig of ram in a Mac and 4 Gig in a PC with Vista and I know which will use less resources.

I can have a super noisy card in a PC and a video card in a Mac and the Mac is dead quite while being used for the same thing. I also know that the worst thing PC could do was stop the manufacturing of slot load drives, at least in Aus. Why in the world they did that I do not know but I am glad the Mac stuck with the slot load DVD drive.

I think so many people asses the macs in one area and dont asses them overall and this seems to be a major problem. They say they are pricey because they look good, wrong they perform and utilize system resources more efficiently than Visa ever could.

Macs have an intuitive OS and interface, Vista however is a pretty version of a previous OS that bogs down without thousands of dollars worth of upgrades.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

With the intel Mac you can boot up in OSX or you can install windoze and boot up in it. Personally I have no interest in having anything microsoft on my computers, but you can... AND if you get paralells you can run OSX... windoze and linuix all at the same time without having to reboot and you can click and drag between all three as well.

Show me a Dell that can do that.

Actually, VMware has been around for years on windows and *nix.
Speaking of which, there was another company that made virtual machine software, that Microsoft bought, and it just dissapeared. It was a lot cheaper than VMware, and worked great for linux. They probably just bought it to kill it. Dang, Virtual PC it was called. Well well well, it looks like MS was still touting it out in 07, and the first MS release was 2004, which was when I stopped using it. 4 years has flew by :|

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

Speaking of corporate crap, ESP makes a James Hetfield "signature" guitar that comes with visual wear and tear all ready built in to simulate his personal guitar. As a mediocre guitarist in a mediocre, semi-serious band, I would never buy a signature series guitar, maybe a signature series amplifier, but not guitar. All your buying is a $300 guitar marked up to $1000 or more because it has some famous or even semi-famous musician's signature screen printed onto the head stock. Every guitar I own has battle scars that I can proudly claim as my own. Why would any body want to pay for the simulation of somebody else's instrumental battle scars? That truly makes me urpy (sick).

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
He doesn't even know what he is talking about. For one, Apple is one of the only companies that has stores with on-site technical support, they replace your item in the store if it can't be fixed. Second, The constant upgrades and applications apple is so famous for are ONLY AVAILABLE TO APPLE USERS. The will not work with any pirated versions of apple products. The components may look the same but they are not. I'm willing to bet that one of the leading software/hardware developers in the world isn't using parts from competitors who come second to them. Steven Jobbs is smarter than that.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by cruzion

But its not virtual... you can actually install and run windoze on your mac. You partition your hard drive and put windoze on one, and OSX on the other.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Unfortunatelly Apple makes a huge profit on their computers. But... you are paying actually to run MacOS without any problems. And it's backed by macintosh licence, which states that you can download (from any source) and install MacOS version your mactintosh was supplied with. And every Mac comes with MacOS. Even if you bought it without a cd disk...

Speaking about software technology... because of the way MacOS (actually NeXT) was built, there is no way Microsoft will catch up soon.

And... everything is worth what its consumers will pay for

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Yeah, the good folks at MyAppleSpace.com knows it too. Ask the switchers over there, they'll tell you what hell they have been saved from.

A fanatic is someone who will only listen to his own convictions. PC users almost always have only owned a PC, while Mac users use PC's at work. After they try both platforms they PREFER Mac's. PC users mostly have never used a Mac at work or at home (only for a few lessons a week at school perhaps) but still thinks they "prefer" PC.

They just don't know any better ! Which is always the problem with a fanatic!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join