It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think CERN is lying.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
The reason its being built in the first place. To observe sub-atomic particles that exsisted fractions of seconds after the universe was created. To see how matter manifests, ect. Check out the Cern website, they have all the information on LHC there.
Cern's Website

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
So what you are saying is the the entire Physics community agrees on a single "Theory". There is no debate, no alternative theorys which might turn out to be right after all.

You are right, we are wrong and paranoid, so just shutup while we press the big red button and see what happens!

Nothing unexpected will happen.
Nothing unexpected ever happens when you smash atoms to finer and finer particles at higher and higher velocities?

They do these expensive experiments because they know what will happen? And there is no cause for concern.

And you believe that, that is so cute, absolute prostration to figures of authority!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
My problem with CERN is that they have no idea what the results of the LHC tests are going to be, but they are absolutely sure that it's 100% safe, whatever the thing produces. Of course they tell everybody that nothing is going to happen because they don't want to stop the test. It has cost too much money and it took too long to make the machine. Fact of the matter is that I don't trust them a single bit. Maybe they want to offer their lives to know what caused the universe to be like it is now but I don't give a damn about it and the trade-off is worthless.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by gristus
My problem with CERN is that they have no idea what the results of the LHC tests are going to be, but they are absolutely sure that it's 100% safe, whatever the thing produces.

They do know to a very good degree of confidence what the tests are going to yield. If they know why do they need to do it?

Let me put it this way, you tell someone that if you drop an apple it falls down, but that someone requires proof. What do you do?

What if right before you drop the apple to prove your theory someone stops you and claims that there is a very small chance that the apple will explode and kill you if it's dropped? In fact, there is a very small chance of that happening, but the probability that a blackhole swallows Earth as a direct consequence of the experimetns at CERN is much smaller.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by daniel_g]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Hawking radiation will evaporate the BH in a vacuum, but if the singularity is fed enough matter, it will continue to grow (i.e., influx exceeds outflux). So I guess it depends on whether the microsingularities have enough time to evaporate in the artificial vacuum before they drop through the floor and into one big feeder mass--the Earth.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
You think CERN is lying.

Me personally, I just think CERN is gay.

Let's use billions and billions of tax dollars, without the permission of the citizens who pay for the effin thing, on a project that might just be totally useless and do nothing except maybe discover an even smaller particle than the smallest particle, which hey after that they can build a bigger useless loop in the ground to find even smaller particles, and so on into infinity,, while we have homeless dying of starvation on the streets, thousands of TAXPAYERS losing their homes, the economy crashing, not to mentions the trillions wasted on these bloody Wars that do nothing but piss people off and create more wars.

Somebody has their head so far up their ass that they are turning into the shape of basketballs and rolling around the floor doing nothing but pissing away a HUGE portion of people's hard earned wages which they have no control over it being taken and given to these big headed idiots...

I find the whole endeavor very tasteless, in the light of everything else. Let's solve the whole "world is in peril and all the brown people are being slaughtered, along with the animals and the rainforests" situation first, before we go gobbling up the wages of American citizens or anyone else for that matter who never asked for a goddamn god particle.

Not to mention the fact that I also think CERN IS covering up an alterior motive.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by dunwichwitch]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Hes right, I think Cern is a waste of taxpayers money, spending billions to create a big loop underground of magnets and stuff, why don't they take that idea and build some mag trains or something that will actually benefit all people, more then half the people in this world haven't heard of Cern and I don't think they care about it either... what goods a particle that you can only create with a collider the size of rhode island, not like everyones gonna be out creatin particles all day... the hell with particles, the only one worth colliding is the atom bomb...

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

I agree completely, CERN is really ghey! whats the point of creating such a machine? Is it going to help me pay my bills? is it going to cure cancer? is it going to solve world hunger? hell to the freakin NO!!!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Unfortunately for us humans, progressing as a race, there'll always be someone screaming "in the back of the room" about the risks, this goes for anything. If there was even a slight chance off total destruction of earth, do you really think they'd go through with it? Do you think they're stupid? They have acknowledged that there MIGHT be a very very small chance of a black hole forming but it'd be smaller then nanomillimeter and last shorter then a nanosecond.

Before they detonated the first atom bomb "some" people were claiming that the entire atmosphere would be caught in a chain reaction of explosions which would wipe out all life on earth. Did it happen? No. I'm sure there's more examples.

Someones example with the apple pretty much describes what situation they're in. They've predicted what's going to happen and they're fairly certain that's the way it's going to be but they can't be sure until they try it.

Particle accelerators have been operational here on earth for almost 70 years, are we dead yet? Why would this one be the one that kills us all? If they were wrong about all their theories, don't you think that'd shown by now?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I am really skeptic about CERN. You know they got sued.

www.techsideup.com...

You never know what is gonna happen. Maybe it will bring the Apocalypse or maybe some wonderful new technologies!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
two questions:

wasn't there a similar project in the USA? I remember watching a documentary about it, i think on Discovery.

what's the exact date for the test? I tried to find it on the links provided but they are just talking "in a few weeks" - does anyone now the exact date so we can prepare our cameras for a trip trough a wormhole
?

absent`e

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I think its a waste of money, with the economy in the U.K. and U.S.A. being so losy now. I also think all countries should ban nukes, this stuff is just too crazy to play with, if scientists want to make something that might be dangerous they should let the people of the world vote on it if it gets made or not. If the scisntists don't get the results there looking for with this new partical collider they are already talking about building a bigger more expensive super collider. It just won't end till the whole world and universe gets sucked into a growing black hole that they created and don't have any idea how to close. - life sucks, then you die.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Drapan

It's not about the black holes... I mean it is, but the biggest fear is the "never-before-seen strains of matter that would destroy the planet."

"Particle accelerators have been operational here on earth for almost 70 years, are we dead yet? Why would this one be the one that kills us all? If they were wrong about all their theories, don't you think that'd shown by now?"

Isn't it because this one is going to break new limits?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Hmmmmm, Who to believe? People with mathematical education or peoples on a conspiracy site??

I read somewhere Particles from the sun that smash into particles in the atmosphere create black holes or something similar too :O

I'd Post a link but Im sure if one couldn't trust Cern a website couldn't be trusted either :/. Or maybe black holes in the atmosphere is a convenient lie too o.O

ATS is fun

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
There is bound to be secrecy, this is the world's largest and most expensive science experiment ever.

The Tevatron is the name of the USA's finest particle accelerator. It's maximum beam energy is 1 trillion electron volts. The LHC is going to crank it up to around 7 trillion.

They have built quite a few of these seemingly fruitless circular colliders now.

I wonder what will happen this time????

"Yea sorry folks looks like we have made this one too small as well, give us 10 more years and 10 billion more dollars and we are sure that we might be able to prove ourselves right."

I agree, the money should be spent elsewhere but it is extremely fascinating stuff. I am going to have to find out more now, ugh the obsessive quest for knowledge never ends

Who knows, maybe all the black holes out there were created by other intelligent life forms trying the same thing

Dunwichwitch what do you think their ulterior motives might be???

Peace

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I haven't had a chance to read all the posts here, but I am going to give my opinion. My level is physics might be slightly lower then several of the people who posted here. My understanding of theoretical astrophysics, Astrophysics and relativity are at low university level so some of the things I am saying might be wrong, so please correct me.

Messing with black holes, and when i say messing i mean creating them through scientific means is dangerous. No matter what theories and postulations the great Doctors and Professors throw at us to say that it is safe, the truth is, it is not. Now, according to Hawking radiation theory Black Holes emit a thermal radiation on black body spectrum which means that if the black body is emitting more matter then it gains it will eventually shrink and disappear. Thermal radiation is just a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted from a body due to its temperature. Anyone ever wonder why this theory states that a black hole emits electromagnetic radiation, when in fact black holes "suck in" electromagnetic radiation. Even a black hole micrometers in length can cause many instabilities. The creation of exotic particles that do not obey any laws of physics is although unlikely, a possibility.

I can go on and on about it, but i guess my point really is, all we have are theories, and in the past theories have been proven false. At one time people believed that the Earth was flat and that the sun and everything else revolved around the earth. No one cant truly say that the Hawking radiation theory will or will not work, because no one has been even remotely close to any black hole to measure this. It is possible that it is safe to experiment with this technology, but why take the risk. Is it worth the lives of every single living thing on this planet to find out how a black hole functions? The consequences do not out way the possible benefits in my honest opinion.

Hope to hear what everyone has to say about this!

- Nick

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Total Bunkum

Look at the size of the Universe and the size of the Machine.
If this tiny machine can create a Hole then on the scale of things
there would be holes popping up everywhere.
There won't be enough particles, Mass or Energy to do anything like a sustained hole.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Didn't it come to mind that there might not even exist such a thing as a black-hole. In that case, the experiment, well, simply put, wil not create a black-hole

Don't forget that black holes are still not proven and all the evidence we get to see about black holes are nothing more than theories on theories on theories.

This is what Lawrence Krauss says about them:

Krauss's answer: Hawking's riddle is a trick question. Due to the relative nature of time under Einstein's general theory, time should stop at the event horizon. Anything that approaches, therefore, should come to a halt before it falls into the black hole, effectively preventing the black hole from forming in the first place.

blog.wired.com...

But you'll find a lot more when you start exploring the elegant dark matter/energy and singularity free world
of plasma cosmology.

You might wanna check out holoscience.com. They have a lot of good artikles, written from a plasmacosmology viewpoint. Here is one on black holes:
The madness of black holes

Anyway, this is another imo interesting view on the matter. Enjoy.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
WHAT IF ITS A TIME MACHINE??

Didn't Albert Einstein suggest that if one could go threw the "Event Horizon" you can possibly time travel? I THINK SO!

It may be possible to suck up the whole earth. If a big one could suck up light, imagine this one?Where doomed

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Why does this feel like the beginning of the game, Half Life.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join