It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think CERN is lying.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
What happens if their black-hole creating machine breaks while they create a black-hole, and, like, then the black-hole is there, but they can't turn off the machine. Won't the black-hole grow and then suck up the Earth? They are probably lying about the capabilities of the machine just to scare us.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I think, like, you should do a little more research on the project. You can like draw your own conclusions and stuff. And like learn how it actually works, what could happen if it totally breaks and stuff. Like if the quantum singularity were to grow out of control, you could like research that too. Gnarly.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

I'm not talking about specifications here. What if their machine breaks while they are in the middle of analyzing a black-hole?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
You think it's lying, but you don't even know how it works. Learn about its physics and you won't have to worry. Your fear stems only from ignorance.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It's not ignorance, it's just, a lack of understanding of physics, but, it would help if CERN explained why their machine wouldn't create problems for me in a way that I could understand. I don't understand that kind of gobbledygook.

link   
never heard of strangelets?

link   
hey, i won't lie. i am right there w/ you OP (assuming i understand you correctly, that you are nervous).

and i won't lie about this either.... i won't look into it any further than i have bc i don't want to "see" something i don't want to "see
."

basically, i am nervous and i don't want to feed into that nervousness by looking too deeply into it. i figure what happens happens and since they are going through it w/ or w/out my approval, i will just live my life in ignorance to this particular "project."

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I heard the particle accelerator may create tiny black holes upon collision of the particles but they say they will evaporate before they can consume and grow. I hope they are right otherwise the black hole would fall to the center of the earth and that would be the end of us and our beautiful little home.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

I hope they're right then, because, if they aren't, then we're all in big trouble.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Ignorance isn't bad, it just means you don't know, which is fine. Just don't accuse them of lying yet.
Try this: en.wikipedia.org... Physicists appear to agree that it's completely, or almost completely, safe.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
doubt theres going to be any danger but wont the tiny black holes damage the internals of the machine before they disappear?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by evolutionz

They're too small and weak to do anything. Read into Hawking Radiation.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The Black-Holes they may or may not produce are not really the issue. Strange matter is the issue. Strangelet particles. They're capable of devouring the planet in like a millisecond.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
It's not ignorance, it's just, a lack of understanding of physics

That is ignorance my friend...the lack of knowledge about something. It doesn't mean you are dumb, just uninformed. I believe if everyone were to do a little research on the subject of the LHC and understand what exactly is going on, they would be more comforatble with it, than say, hearing something through the grapevine about danger and running with it blindly.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Fact is scientists dont know much about black holes in all reality.

2007- Astronomers have discovered a black hole (M33 X-7)massively larger than current physics theories say is possible, weighing in at an estimated 16 stellar systems.

Larger than thought possible

ScienceDaily (May 30, 2007) — Two merging black holes can generate gravitational waves so powerful that the merged hole shoots out of its host galaxy at a speed of up to 2,500 miles per second, according to a new simulation.

Black holes on the loose

A jet from a black hole at the center of a galaxy strikes the edge of another galaxy. This is the first time such an interaction has been found. The jet impacts the companion galaxy at its edge and is then disrupted and deflected, much like how a stream of water from a hose will splay out after hitting a wall at an angle.

Death Star Black Hole

The early discovery of a black hole inside a globular star cluster by a team using the European Space Agency's XMM-Newton satellite has astonished astronomers
(i like this part of the story)
Scientists had doubted that black holes could still exist in globular clusters as they are some of the oldest structures in the universe (over 12 thousand million years old), and so gravitational forces would have ejected any black holes thousands of million years ago.

Discovery astonishes Scientists

seems scientists dont always know what they think they know.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
So. . . Help me out with this concept that we are OK because they "Understand" I like where you are going with it. But I am not there yet.

So what you are saying is that all these scientists have spent about 600 Billion dollars to do experiments where they know exactly what the results will be.

No surprises. Right?
I mean they couldn't accidentially like discover that their current theorys of how the universe and everything is stitched together are wrong. And need to go rethink things?

And there is absolutely no way they could stumble across some kind of angry genie and let it out of the bottle! Right!

Wheew, I feel so safe now. I mean, that is what you are saying, isn't it?

[edit on 14-7-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
The Wikipedia article Safety of the Large Hadron Collider now contains a summary of some of the basic safety arguments of the organized safety opposition, after a long battle with CERN supporters to fight censorship of these concerns.

The concerns are not just from legal action and from what is raised in the media as the article still tends to imply. The safety concerns are lead by world recognized, credible scientists. Dr. Otto Rossler is an eminent award winning professor of theoretical sciences and a significant contributor to Chaos Theory. Professor Rossler's research indicates that safety has not been reasonably proven, and danger is very plausible.

Published peer reviewed papers from science professors that question one of the of the primary safety arguments (Hawking Radiation) are still censored from the article. A 2004 Delphi study showing up to 50% doubt among physicists polled is still censored from the article. (Physicists do have reasonable doubt about Hawking Radiation, contrary to what the article implies).

From the Wikipedia article Safety of the Large Hadron Collider:

Concerns raised in the media

Nuclear physicist Walter L. Wagner has argued that if Micro black holes are produced at the LHC, they might not decay as predicted by CERN, since Hawking radiation is not an experimentally-tested or naturally observed phenomenon and might not exist.[8][22]

Professor Otto Rössler has stated that micro black holes created in the LHC would grow exponentially, accreting the Earth in 50 months to 50 years, and he has sought scientific debate on his research[23] before the LHC particle collisions begin.[24]

----

A number of scientists are very concerned, and papers challenging safety arguments related to neutron stars and cosmic rays are currently in progress.

Learn more at LHCFacts.org or LHCDefense.org

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

doesnt f**king matter, what they are doing is un-natural. I hope for your sake JohnMike you are right. last time i checked Physicists and scientists dont really know sh*t. Its all guesswork my friend

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
The whole deal with LHC and black holes. For the billionth time
no worries though. everyone has thier concerns, but this is what i've read that has to do witht he blackholes. The LHC has the capability to create 1 black hole a second. however, any black hole it creates, will be the size of an atom. Since it is so small, and it's under its own gravitational feidl and that of the earth, chances are high it will collapse in on itself and dissipate into hawking radiation. We won't really know until it fires off. If you ask me, the worst thing that could happen would be we suck ourselves up into a blackhole, which i think is a great way to go. i've always wondered what it would be like to travel through one

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Xilvius

Thanks for that.

But a queston .......the benificial outcome of all this is what?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join