It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska volcano erupts; island residents evacuated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Alaska volcano erupts; island residents evacuated

www.reuters.com

Okmok Volcano is highly active, with about 16 eruptions occurring every 10 to 20 years since 1805, she said. The last eruption was in 1997, an event that produced ash clouds and a lava flow that traveled five miles across the volcano's caldera floor, she said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
There has been a lot of activity from down below lately. So is this a non-event or part of a chain? The article says it's active, so it maybe unrelated to the tectonic movement we've seen in China, Greece, etc.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Stan Deyo on C2C a couple weeks ago that volcanic activity globably is signifigantly above avg. Areas North of New Zealand The poles, Nevada up thru Yellowstone........

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
How can any seismic / volcanic event on this little planet be unrelated?

If I have to question something, it is not whether they are related events, but how, on earth they could not be related. This planet is acting like jiffypop which is just beginning to wake up. Since we do not know why, we can only wonder if it will get sleepy again, or start popping for real.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I don't think this is anything to be alarmed about. It is an active volcano. Plus in Alaska always has earthquakes. All very normal.

I'm in Alaska, though on my way out right now. There are only a handful of people on that island, so it was not any mass evacuation. The island is VERY far from doing any major damage to people, structures, etc. The area is VERY VERY remote. Hassle for the residents, but again, I dont find any of this very alarming.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
How can any seismic / volcanic event on this little planet be unrelated?

If I have to question something, it is not whether they are related events, but how, on earth they could not be related. This planet is acting like jiffypop which is just beginning to wake up. Since we do not know why, we can only wonder if it will get sleepy again, or start popping for real.

Everything is related if you want to be technical. The question was is this part of a rising global tectonic activity or is this volcano simply active...as the article states, thus making it more or less insignificant in accordance to the past several seismic events.
U iz so samrt.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

I just got 'lost' on your signature link...

Op, good job bringing this to the forum, many here myself included like to keep a close watch on the activity world wide.

I was on hisz.rsoe.hu... today and noticed the cluster up in the North West Coast.

Also there were some interesting changes to the site.

You can take a look here: hisz.rsoe.hu...

The change makes sense yet was still surprising.
Under the 'Additional Information' (with 100km radius)
*Nuclear Power Plant.
*Airport.
*Listing Volcanoes
Tsunami warnings and several different topics.

It made me stop and think about how all of the earth events are connected. If there is a massive earthquake off the coast it can cause a chain reaction of volcanoes, tsunamis and those can cause other seismic events.

Some thing big is on the horizon, with the large scale disaster event in Rio de Janeiro's beach areas, from the shores of Antarctica the death of over 400+ penguins showing up on their beaches, yes global warming is said to be the cause.
Also an entire 60meter high ice shelf is slated to fall this winter which is also being attributed to global warming.
You can read that astounding story here: hisz.rsoe.hu...

None of these events are to be taken lightly. And it is always appreciated when these types of events are brought to the forum.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I don't know if that's not bordering on spam.

top topics

join