It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NU's new tagline stirs debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
This is one crazy world we live in. Again the racial witch-hunters come out to play.

By AMBER BROZEK / DN Assignment Writer
February 17, 2004

Cynthia Willis-Esqueda and her students have been studying the nature of stereotypes.

Recently their studies were applied to a familiar stereotype: the meaning and origin of the pioneer.

Upon hearing the new University of Nebraska tagline "Pioneering New Frontiers," Willis-Esqueda, coordinator of Native American Studies at UNL and associate professor of psychology and ethnic studies, raised a red flag.

She's not alone. Other University of Nebraska-Lincoln faculty leaders have questioned the use of the tagline, calling it exclusionary and possibly hurtful toward North America's first inhabitants.

"There were people here before the pioneers," Willis-Esqueda said. "They have always been here and are still here. And the tagline doesn't include them."

Click here to read more

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Geez, what next...people will ALWAYS find SOMETHING to b.itch and moan about. Really! "Pioneering" in no way even is talking about "pioneers" in this context...they need to wake up.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
This is one crazy world we live in. Again the racial witch-hunters come out to play.

By AMBER BROZEK / DN Assignment Writer
February 17, 2004

Cynthia Willis-Esqueda and her students have been studying the nature of stereotypes.

Recently their studies were applied to a familiar stereotype: the meaning and origin of the pioneer.

Upon hearing the new University of Nebraska tagline "Pioneering New Frontiers," Willis-Esqueda, coordinator of Native American Studies at UNL and associate professor of psychology and ethnic studies, raised a red flag.

She's not alone. Other University of Nebraska-Lincoln faculty leaders have questioned the use of the tagline, calling it exclusionary and possibly hurtful toward North America's first inhabitants.

"There were people here before the pioneers," Willis-Esqueda said. "They have always been here and are still here. And the tagline doesn't include them."

Click here to read more

well being that i live in nebraska i feel i should weigh in on this one. my opinion is that NEBRASKA IS THE MOST #ED UP STATE IN THE UNION. people here piss and moan about the most stupid things. this included. all's it is is PC getting way outta hand. not only that the unicameral (one body legislature) TAXES THE # OUTTA US! they should go to a 2 house system like everone one esle. we'd still be #ed but not as #ed.
NEVER COME HERE! AND IF YOU DO LIVE HERE OR ARE NEW TO THE AREA, GET THE # OUTTA HERE WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
What a pile of .

What will the PC arseholes think up next ?

Sometimes I think they spout this crap purely to hear the sounds of their own voices.

join