It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Brought the Slaves to America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Something to really think about, after all these years. Just as Oil is a high prized commodity today, so was Slavery in those days

Who Brought the Slaves to America

The story of the slaves in America begins with Christopher Columbus. His voyage to America was not financed by Queen Isabella, but by Luis de Santangelo, who advanced the sum of 17,000 ducats (about 5,000 pounds-today equal to 50,000 pounds) to finance the voyage, which began on August 3, 1492.

Columbus was accompanied by five 'maranos' (Jews who had foresworn their religion and supposedly became Catholics), Luis de Torres, interpreter, Marco, the surgeon, Bemal, the physician, Alonzo de la Calle and Gabriel Sanchez (1).

Gabriel Sanchez, abetted by the other four Jews, sold Columbus on the idea of capturing 500 Indians and selling them as slaves in Seville, Spain, which was done. Columbus did not receive any of the money from the sale of the slaves, but he became the victim of a conspiracy fostered by Bemal, the ship's doctor. He, Columbus, suffered injustice and imprisonment as his reward. Betrayed by the five maranos (Jews) whom he had trusted and helped. This, ironically, was the beginning of slavery in the Americas (2).

The Jews were expelled from Spain on August 2, 1492, and from Portugal in 1497. Many of these Jews emigrated to Holland, where they set up the Dutch West Indies Company to exploit the new world.

In 1654, the first Jew, Jacob Barsimson, emigrated from Holland to New Amsterdam (New York) and in the next decade many more followed him, settling along the East Coast, principally in New Amsterdam and Newport, Rhode Island. They were prevented by ordinances issued by Governor Peter Stuyvesant from engaging in the domestic economy, so they quickly discovered that the territory inhabited by the Indians would be a fertile field. There were no laws preventing the Jews from trading with the Indians.

www.iamthewitness.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This is a load of crap.

The article slanders both Jews and blacks. The main reason is the reference material cited is either debunked material or material of dubious historical work.

This thread should be thrown in the trash bin as well as the skewed ideas behind the revisionist history.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
So the jews did it?
Then why'd Anglo Saxon, white males set up the KKK?...or did the jews do that to >_>?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Between 1450 and the end of the nineteenth century, slaves were obtained from along the west coast of Africa with the full and active co-operation of African kings and merchants. (There were occasional military campaigns organised by Europeans to capture slaves, especially by the Portuguese in what is now Angola, but this accounts for only a small percentage of the total.) In return, the African kings and merchants received various trade goods including beads, cowrie shells (used as money), textiles, brandy, horses, and perhaps most importantly, guns. The guns were used to help expand empires and obtain more slaves, until they were finally used against the European colonisers. The export of trade goods from Europe to Africa forms the first side of the triangular trade.
africanhistory.about.com...

so african slaves were sold to europians by african kings and african slave traders.
ever since man has colonized there has been a market for the cheapest labor. its horrible i know.... but true... if there wasnt a minnimum wage there would be very low income. (and the elitists couldnt control the inflation and money flow without it)
money is the root to all evil.......

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuierellaTactics
So the jews did it?
Then why'd Anglo Saxon, white males set up the KKK?...or did the jews do that to >_>?

Jews and the slave trade

The route went through the Caribbean, and that's where Jews initially controlled the islands.

Van der Sloot is Dutch Jewish... descendents of the Caribbean Dutch Jewish slave trade families.

judicial-inc.biz...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tjetbone

Between 1450 and the end of the nineteenth century, slaves were obtained from along the west coast of Africa with the full and active co-operation of African kings and merchants. (There were occasional military campaigns organised by Europeans to capture slaves, especially by the Portuguese in what is now Angola, but this accounts for only a small percentage of the total.) In return, the African kings and merchants received various trade goods including beads, cowrie shells (used as money), textiles, brandy, horses, and perhaps most importantly, guns. The guns were used to help expand empires and obtain more slaves, until they were finally used against the European colonisers. The export of trade goods from Europe to Africa forms the first side of the triangular trade.
africanhistory.about.com...

so african slaves were sold to europians by african kings and african slave traders.
ever since man has colonized there has been a market for the cheapest labor. its horrible i know.... but true... if there wasnt a minnimum wage there would be very low income. (and the elitists couldnt control the inflation and money flow without it)
money is the root to all evil.......

The Jewish role in the African Slave Trade

The Role of Jews in the African Slave Trade is well documented by JEWISH sources so any allegations of “hate” on the part of those who expose it is quite the adorable deflection.

Link : www.wakeupfromyourslumber.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I take it you have not considered the implications of the inquisition during this very period ??!!!

Further the primary source of Slaves from Africa during this period were (I am sorry to say) Islamic slavers who "sourced" them.

There was a MASSIVE contingent of Euro slavers including (although MUCH later on) the English man Newton ( a notorious slaver) who penned the Hymn Amazing Grace (no its not American) as a comment on his evil past.

Please bear in mind the role of the Inquisition during this period which became particularly vengeful against Jews, Converts, and finally Moores and Muslims.

Remember also that Slavery was a particularly European past time which America inherited - it is a significant issue for you as you refused to give it up for some time after the Europeans.

Australia had particularly nasty habits in this area including what is known as the Canacas trade, with natives only being recognised as humans (as in not simply part of the natural flora and fauna) in a 1967 referendum.

Either way - the entire situation continues today in a much less overt manner - Slaves in Ancient Rome had comparatively more rights than many of the victims of human trafficking in todays world.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Blaming the Jews eh?

No mention of the Barbary pirates and the millions of black Africans and white Euros that the Islamics took into slavery.

Sorry ... but I'm not convinced that the Jews are to blame for slavery.

Are they to blame for the fact that blacks in Africa still practice slavery as do many Asians?

Gotta give me more than what's here before I'll jump on the 'blame the jews' bandwagon.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Blaming the Jews eh?

No mention of the Barbary pirates and the millions of black Africans and white Euros that the Islamics took into slavery.

Sorry ... but I'm not convinced that the Jews are to blame for slavery.

Are they to blame for the fact that blacks in Africa still practice slavery as do many Asians?

Gotta give me more than what's here before I'll jump on the 'blame the jews' bandwagon.

For decades, the White people of America have been subjected to a continual barrage from Blacks and others that you and I are somehow "responsible" for the African slave trade and that we need to "atone" for our "guilt." Their are a number of flaws with the idea that we are somehow "responsible" for the African slave trade. First of all, very few White people even owned slaves-slavery was a rich man's pursuit and slavery did not exist amongst the middle and working classes of White people. Second of all, even if every one of us had an ancestor who owned slaves (which is an extremely unlikely proposition), it makes little sense to blame the children for the supposed sins of their fathers. Third of all, it is a fact that Blacks sold their own kind into slavery. As this is the case, Blacks are every bit as much to blame for slavery as are Whites. Fourth, European Whites did not bring the slaves to America. On the contrary, it was the Asiatic Jews who brought them here (as Louis Fahrakkan has also pointed out). Below is a listing of the Jewish slave ships and the Jewish owners of them.

www.jewwatch.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dubyakadubla

Third of all, it is a fact that Blacks sold their own kind into slavery. As this is the case, Blacks are every bit as much to blame for slavery as are Whites. Fourth, European Whites did not bring the slaves to America. On the contrary, it was the Asiatic Jews who brought them here (as Louis Fahrakkan has also pointed out). Below is a listing of the Jewish slave ships and the Jewish owners of them.

(removed link- sorry Hate sites are not something we allow here on the forums,)

[edit on 14-7-2008 by asala]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dubyakadubla

Third of all, it is a fact that Blacks sold their own kind into slavery. As this is the case, Blacks are every bit as much to blame for slavery as are Whites. Fourth, European Whites did not bring the slaves to America. On the contrary, it was the Asiatic Jews who brought them here (as Louis Fahrakkan has also pointed out). Below is a listing of the Jewish slave ships and the Jewish owners of them.

www.jewwatch.com...

lol, thats great.... what about all the repromands that have been given... it should be returned right?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The notion that Jews are the only ethnic group to participate in the African slave trade is absolutely preposterous.

You should be ashamed of yourself for even repeating that. You go on two blatantly anti-semitic sites and spread their rumors.

This should be deleted from ATS for its sheer stupidity.

Stop linking from those bull# anti-Jewish web sites.

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Speaking more as a member here, but uh...

You might want to pick a site with some credibility when posting to a community like this. Jewwatch isn't really going to help you prove a point...

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The premise of the opening thread is based on crap references of which no respectful researcher would use.

Blaming the Jews for all mankind's ills is just plain stupid. I know a former communist from Russia that blames everything bad in his life on Jews. I've told him more than once the only difference between him and the Nazis was his language. I only see Nazi crap and Nazi wanna-bees defending crap in this thread.

This isn't a free speech issue, it's a how stupid can I possibly be in posting crap on the internet issue.

EOM

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
How on earth would Columbus have had room for 500 slaves? That was a very long voyage though foreign waters, it is simply not believable that he suddenly thought "hey lets take an extra 500 people back with us! we got the room, we got the food, no problem!"

Interesting facts...the spread of Islam is what encouraged the Arab slave traders. Islam forbids the taking of Muslim slaves, plus it encourages marrying off and freeing slaves.

When Arabs needed fresh slaves they had to import them because all of the local folks, including the tribes they warred with, were all Muslim. They brought them in from Africa instead. They also did capture some European slaves from some coastal towns as well.

Black African tribes would raid other tribes, or capture random peoples and sell them off for meat or as slaves. Some stories claim they would panic if they were fed before boarding the slave ships because feeding them more than a few crumbs usually meant they were being fattened up for their meat.

Of course both cannibalism and slavery still exist there today.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas
I take it you have not considered the implications of the inquisition during this very period ??!!!

Further the primary source of Slaves from Africa during this period were (I am sorry to say) Islamic slavers who "sourced" them.

There was a MASSIVE contingent of Euro slavers including (although MUCH later on) the English man Newton ( a notorious slaver) who penned the Hymn Amazing Grace (no its not American) as a comment on his evil past.

Please bear in mind the role of the Inquisition during this period which became particularly vengeful against Jews, Converts, and finally Moores and Muslims.

Remember also that Slavery was a particularly European past time which America inherited - it is a significant issue for you as you refused to give it up for some time after the Europeans.

Australia had particularly nasty habits in this area including what is known as the Canacas trade, with natives only being recognised as humans (as in not simply part of the natural flora and fauna) in a 1967 referendum.

Either way - the entire situation continues today in a much less overt manner - Slaves in Ancient Rome had comparatively more rights than many of the victims of human trafficking in todays world.

Didn't get through hey ??!

Again - English, Spanish, Arabs, Moores were the primary slavers NOT the jews. Unequivocal fact. The jews were far to busy being persecuted under the unquisition.....

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Rabbi Marc Lee Raphael

Rabbi Marc Lee Raphael is the Nathan and Sophia Gumenick Professor of Judaic Studies, Professor of Religion, and Chair, Department of Religion, The College of William and Mary, and a Visiting Fellow of Wolfson College, Oxford University. He has been the editor of the quarterly journal, American Jewish History, for 19 years, and a visiting professor at Brown University, the University of Pittsburgh, HUC-JIR, UCLA, and Case Western Reserve University. He came to The College of William and Mary in 1989 after 20 years at Ohio State University. He is the author of many books on Jews and Judaism in America.

The following passages are from Dr. Raphael's book Jews and Judaism in the United States a Documentary History (New York: Behrman House, Inc., Pub, 1983), pp. 14, 23-25.

"Jews also took an active part in the Dutch colonial slave trade; indeed, the bylaws of the Recife and Mauricia congregations (1648) included an imposta (Jewish tax) of five soldos for each Negro slave a Brazilian Jew purchased from the West Indies Company. Slave auctions were postponed if they fell on a Jewish holiday. In Curacao in the seventeenth century, as well as in the British colonies of Barbados and Jamaica in the eighteenth century, Jewish merchants played a major role in the slave trade. In fact, in all the American colonies, whether French (Martinique), British, or Dutch, Jewish merchants frequently dominated.

www.blacksandjews.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
There were Jewish slave traders and Jewish slave owners. And???
From your title i can see that you make a point that only/primarily Jews brought slaves to America however even from your few sources (one of which is extremely biased - Jews selling Columbus stuff.) it is not apparent.
Numbers are needed to make your point. If you want to put all Jews from different countries in one category then following approach will be needed if you want to find out what really went on:
How many Jews were in the business vs other nationalities....
How many slaves sold by/to Jews vs other nationalities....
This will definitely prove your point, not ripping out citations. And what oil got to do with slave trade? You buy oil products every day - you are a part of modern slave trade ring?
Now can i ask you few questions:
Who brought first African slaves to America's territory?
(Hint - Spain had expelled all the Jews for several decades before that)
Who brought slaves to Brazil (Portugal colonies - no Jews there at the time) and how much? Why it was primary source for African slavery if no Jews were present in Portugal?
Francis Drake and John Hawkins were Jews?
I have a lot more questions, but for now it will do . So i will be glad to listen to yours opinion on those subjects.

Edit - added (only/primarily) to clarify my point.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
There were Jewish slave traders and Jewish slave owners. And???
From your title i can see that you make a point that only/primarily Jews brought slaves to America however even from your few sources (one of which is extremely biased - Jews selling Columbus stuff.) it is not apparent.
Numbers are needed to make your point. If you want to put all Jews from different countries in one category then following approach will be needed if you want to find out what really went on:
How many Jews were in the business vs other nationalities....
How many slaves sold by/to Jews vs other nationalities....
This will definitely prove your point, not ripping out citations. And what oil got to do with slave trade? You buy oil products every day - you are a part of modern slave trade ring?
Now can i ask you few questions:
Who brought first African slaves to America's territory?
(Hint - Spain had expelled all the Jews for several decades before that)
Who brought slaves to Brazil (Portugal colonies - no Jews there at the time) and how much? Why it was primary source for African slavery if no Jews were present in Portugal?
Francis Drake and John Hawkins were Jews?
I have a lot more questions, but for now it will do . So i will be glad to listen to yours opinion on those subjects.

Edit - added (only/primarily) to clarify my point.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

Who Brought the Slaves to America (Part 1 of 2)

The story of the slaves in America begins with Christopher Columbus. His voyage to America was not financed by Queen Isabella, but by Luis de Santangelo, who advanced the sum of 17,000 ducats (about 5,000 pounds-today equal to 50,000 pounds) to finance the voyage, which began on August 3, 1492.

Columbus was accompanied by five 'maranos' (Jews who had foresworn their religion and supposedly became Catholics), Luis de Torres, interpreter, Marco, the surgeon, Bemal, the physician, Alonzo de la Calle and Gabriel Sanchez. (Ref. The International Jew by Henry Ford)

Gabriel Sanchez, abetted by the other four Jews, sold Columbus on the idea of capturing 500 Indians and selling them as slaves in Seville, Spain, which was done. Columbus did not receive any of the money from the sale of the slaves, but he became the victim of a conspiracy fostered by Bemal, the ship's doctor. He, Columbus, suffered injustice and imprisonment as his reward. Betrayed by the five maranos (Jews) whom he had trusted and helped. This, ironically, was the beginning of slavery in the Americas. (Adventures of an African Slaver by Malcolm Cowley, 1928, p.11)

The Jews were expelled from Spain on August 2, 1492, and from Portugal in 1497. Many of these Jews emigrated to Holland, where they set up the Dutch West Indies Company to exploit the new world.

In 1654, the first Jew, Jacob Barsimson, emigrated from Holland to New Amsterdam (New York) and in the next decade many more followed him, settling along the East Coast, principally in New Amsterdam and Newport, Rhode Island. They were prevented by ordinances issued by Governor Peter Stuyvesant from engaging in the domestic economy, so they quickly discovered that the territory inhabited by the Indians would be a fertile field. There were no laws preventing the Jews from trading with the Indians.

The first Jew to begin trading with the Indians was Hayman Levy, who imported cheap glass beads, textiles, earrings, armbands and other cheap adornments from Holland which were traded for valuable fur pelts. Hayman Levy was soon joined by Jews Nicholas Lowe and Joseph Simon. Lowe conceived the idea of trading rum and whiskey to the Indians and set up a distillery in Newport, where these two liquors were produced. Within a short time there were 22 distilleries in Newport, all of them owned by Jews, manufacturing and distributing 'firewater.' The story of the debauching of the Indians with its resultant massacres of the early settlers, is a dramatic story in itself.

It is essential to comprehend the seaport of Newport. It is important in order to recognize the Jewish share in the Slave commerce. There was a period when it was commonly referred to as 'The Jewish Newport-World center of Slave Commerce.' All together, at this time, there were in North America six Jewish communities: Newport, Charleston, New York, Philadelphia, Richmond, and Savanuah. There were also many other Jews, scattered over the entire East Coast. Although New York held first place in the settlers of Jews in North America, Newport held second place. New York was also the main source of Kosher meat, supplying the North American settlements, then the West Indies and also South America. Now Newport took over! Newport also became the great trade harbour of the East Coast of North America. There, vessels from other ports met, to exchange commodities. Newport, as previously mentioned, represented the foremost place in the commerce of rum, whiskey, and liquor dealings. And to conclude, it finally became the Main Center of Slave dealings. It was from this port that the ships left on their way across the ocean, to gather their black human cargo and then derive great sums of money in exchange for them.

An authentic, contemporary report, based on authority, indicates that of 128 Slave ships, for instance, unloaded in Charleston, within one year, their "Cargo," 120 of these were undersigned by Jews from Newport and Charleston by their own name. About the rest of them, one can surmise, although they were entered as Boston (1), Norfolk (2), and Baltimore (4), their real owners were similarly the Jewish slave dealers from Newport and Charleston.

One is able to assess the Jewish share in the entire dealings of the Newport, if one considers the undertaking of a lone Jew, the Portuguese, Aaron Lopez, who plays an important part in the over-all story of the Jews and Slavery.

Concerning the entire commerce of the Colonies, and the later State of Rhode Island, (which included Newport) bills of lading, concessions, receipts, and port clearances carried the signature name of the Jew Aaron Lopez. This all took place during the years 1726 to 1774. He had therefore more than 50% of all dealings under his personal control for almost fifty years. Aside from that there were other ships which he owned, but sailed under other names.

In the year 1749, the first Masonic Lodge was established. Ninety percent of the members...........

americandefenseleague....

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dubyakadubla

So you're taking from a site...that praises Nazi Germany for getting rid of the Jews?

It's time for you to hush, child. Your bigotry has no place here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join