It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chomsky: Bush & Cheney Always Saw Iraq as a Sweetheart Oil Deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Chomsky: Bush & Cheney Always Saw Iraq as a Sweetheart Oil Deal

www.alternet.org

The deal just taking shape between Iraq's Oil Ministry and four Western oil companies raises critical questions about the nature of the U.S. invasion and occupation of Iraq -- questions that should certainly be addressed by presidential candidates and seriously discussed in the United States, and of course in occupied Iraq, where it appears that the population has little if any role in determining the future of its country.

Negotiations are under way for Exxon Mobil, Shell, Total and BP -- the original partners decades ago in the Iraq Petroleum Company, now joined by Chevron and other smaller oil companies -- to renew the oil concession they lost to nationalization during the years when the oil producers took over their own resources. The no-bid contracts, apparently written by the oil corporations with the help of U.S. officials, prevailed over offers from more than 40 other companies, including companies in China, India and Russia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Would you consider rising oil prices an Act of War?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
More confirmation (as if any were needed) that the war in Iraq was in NO WAY about WMDs or removing saddam to help the iraqi people.

It is and always has been, about getting the oil and having a strong military presence in the mideast - so don't expect US troops to be pulled out before the oil runs out.

Brave service men and women are dying so that bush/cheney can keep the money rolling in for their cronies - read the whole piece and you'll see exactly what I mean.

This is a disgrace, and I feel ashamed that my own country has played a part in the charade about WMDs when it was only ever about oil - something I have been ranting about on ATS since I joined.

Bush/cheney (and their successors/backers) want to exert the same kind of control over the US and other countries in order to keep the money flowing in to the big oil companies and even the not so big ones.

The question is, can they be stopped?

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

join