It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US shows off new Raptor jet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jokerdazey2

Uhm, what? The F-22 is only the size of an F-15. Hardly huge. And there are no carrier groups that they fly off of. And the F-18 can fly anywhere with tanker support, but it's also one of the most widespread fighters out there, next to the F-16.

As for short range, not hardly. The F-22 has a ferry range of over 2000nm with external tanks, and a combat radius of almost 500 miles.

[edit on 7/13/2008 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jokerdazey2

I think Brazil will take the lead in the next century with their long range sub-orbital reentry blimps. Stealthy and deadly too. I think they are sharing with Peru now. No-one in the world can match dirigible technology like the South Americans.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Every time I see an F-22 in flight it always astounds me as to how maneuverable they really are and yet they're still capable of being stealthy. Luckily I should be getting to see some at the EAA's airshow at Oshkosh at the end of this month.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Another country only have to manufacture a low cost, high performance UAV and the F22 will be assigned to the history books.

Looks nice though, can't wait to get a picture next to one in a museum.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I feel the same we've had them in our area for a while and I'm suprised no one has posted a better video on youtube yet on it's true manueverability yet I've seen some pretty good videos though on youtube they have been out for awhile but it does not come close to what it can realy do.

I've seen online that the russians do have some impressive stuff but they are trying to market their jets so they pushed theirs to the limit in order to bump sales.

The raptor as far as I know is not for sale just yet. In ten years you'll see some really amazing stuff from the f-22 after it's been out for a while and other countries have had them the true abilities will be shown at airshows for now only the pilots and those luck enough to live near air bases here in tthe states have seen what it can do. Come to think of it I'll try to catch some stuff on my camera and post later

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I believed there were no plans to sell the 22 to anybody ,that is the role of the f 35 to a certain degree.Fitting external tanks tends to ruin the work of the stealth engineers,whilst these are jettisoned before combat phase ,they still count against the operator if total deniability is required ,eg civil radar during the flight plan if over sensitive areas.
Talking of its stealth capabilities ,I believe europe has the same system the australians developed in there detection system ,actually detecting the wash they leave behind ?and triangulatining position?

Rumour has it the 22 was chosen over the yf 23 (its competitor)to enable that(the 23) project to be taken in a new fastmover direction/black funding.
I thought any of the nav and vision systems in the 22 are taken from the eurofighter?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Rumour has it the 22 was chosen over the yf 23 (its competitor)to enable that(the 23) project to be taken in a new fastmover direction/black funding.

Just rumour for now

but stay tuned

The US never throws anything away

[edit on 18-7-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I like what the poilt said.

"Its like going from a Mustang to a Farriari"

The F-22 looks like it will be able to out-manuver EVERY enemy plane in the sky, along with being stealth...

If anyone EVER scores a kill against a F-22 in a dogfight, they should go down in Lore, with the Red Baron.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Were we not told that the f117 was impossible to shoot down and that the titanic was unsinkable?

A superb set of electronics in a superb Stealthy airframe definately,but personally I dont feel it is the most manouverable from what I have seen (farnborough, internet,tv),
Im concerned that it can only vector thrust along its vertical axis tbh, due to the constraints of the deep set exhaust outlets .Would this mean it has to bank more in the turn left or right ?thus exposing its larger under or overside sections to possible radar?

Some video from the usa would be nice ,like has been offered ...lol

Russians have the bear ,Ivote to bring these back.muhahahaha
what a take off!!
...www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
youtube.com...
Great footage here of early vulcan being rolled
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 18-7-2008 by gambon]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gambon
Were we not told that the f117 was impossible to shoot down and that the titanic was unsinkable?

Actually no. We were told that stealth makes them much harder to see, and much harder to hit, which makes them much more survivable in a combat situation.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I have a friend who flys F16s. He said that they flew 6 f16s against 2 F22s. When the F22s were behind him in a dogfight there was absolutley nothing he could do to out manuver it. The F22 was capable of turning, slowing, and accelerating so much faster than the F16 that 4 F16 where "killed" before they ever saw the F22s and the other 2 were taken out in dog fights immediately.

The F22 is better in everyway then the generation 4 fighters. I am glad I am on the team that has them.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TubbsMcGee

It's nothing new, I have a jacket with this jet stitched on the back, I've had it since the mid 90's when it was still secret, allegedly.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I am still smiling, thanks for the vid.
And Captain T. was HOT! I dont think he rehersed that any more than just plain havin all the info down and was excited as hell to be part of the program.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
New my arse. It's been kicking about for a decade plus.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join