It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banking regulators close IndyMac

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I just heard on cable news that there are 90 banks on the gov't watchlist for collapse but won't disclose the names of the banks in order to prevent bank runs...and the number of banks on the list is growing fast

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AtlantisAgain

Ah, Free market at its best. *coughs* No seriously, it's best to let some banks roll over and die because they are the "fat" in the system. Propping up banks that can't sustain themselves is bad business and government.

In the 1920's there were about 25,000 banks in the US. As of March 2008, there were 7248. Sure that means more money in fewer hands, but at the same time that streamlines the flow of money in the economy, and the faster that money flows, the better the economy is.

Now granted, there are times when larger banks just cannot be allowed to fail, this is because of how failed banks are taken care of. They are broken up and those pieces bought up by "stronger" banks. So if Hercules Banks falls while lifting a mountain, you can't ask the other 7000 men standing there of all different sizes to take over his job, because they'll get squashed. That's when the government steps in to handle it because they are the only other source of help. Of course many times it comes with strings attached that trip people.....

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Can someone explain this to me?

biz.yahoo.com...

How does bailing out banks with borrowed or printed money
strengthen the dollar?....

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinktip

biz.yahoo.com...

It doesn't follow logic does it? This is a case of perceived value by the market.

Because the banks are being propped up by the government, people feel that it is safer to invest in the dollar (by picking up US denominated securities on the market). This demand raises the value of the dollar despite a surge in supply.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sir Solomon
reply to post by AtlantisAgain

Ah, Free market at its best. *coughs* No seriously, it's best to let some banks roll over and die because they are the "fat" in the system. Propping up banks that can't sustain themselves is bad business and government.

In the 1920's there were about 25,000 banks in the US. As of March 2008, there were 7248. Sure that means more money in fewer hands, but at the same time that streamlines the flow of money in the economy, and the faster that money flows, the better the economy is.

Now granted, there are times when larger banks just cannot be allowed to fail, this is because of how failed banks are taken care of. They are broken up and those pieces bought up by "stronger" banks. So if Hercules Banks falls while lifting a mountain, you can't ask the other 7000 men standing there of all different sizes to take over his job, because they'll get squashed. That's when the government steps in to handle it because they are the only other source of help. Of course many times it comes with strings attached that trip people.....

I agree very much (and also that recessions generally help eliminate the 'excess' from an economy and that is good in the long-term).
Based on what i've read and heard over recent weeks I also think that number is VERY low and the banking crisis in much worse than what we're told. In a way I don't blame the gov't and media for downplaying the situation: keep the calm and prevent panic and bank runs which will just make it much worse, etc.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Perplexed

stock up on COLLOIDAL SILVER, Tiaga Tea, ALLICIN, Liquid Minerals & Liquid Vitamins - from living plants, not rocks in the pill form!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Well, we're all hearing of the big plan to collapse the economy by the end of the year. It seems to fit.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir Solomon

Originally posted by Pinktip

biz.yahoo.com...

It doesn't follow logic does it? This is a case of perceived value by the market.

Because the banks are being propped up by the government, people feel that it is safer to invest in the dollar (by picking up US denominated securities on the market). This demand raises the value of the dollar despite a surge in supply.

Banks are the Extension of the Politicians and Politicians rely on the Banks for their Dildos, so if Bankers pull a Conjob, this becomes a State of Emergency Crisis, to bail the Crooks out and Share the Loot. Organized State Sponcered Criminals

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join