It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We can use are cars to power are homes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It's called V2G or Vehicle 2 Grid.

Electric-drive vehicles, whether powered by batteries, fuel cells, or gasoline hybrids, have within them the energy source and power electronics capable of producing the 60 Hz AC electricity that powers our homes and offices. When connections are added to allow this electricity to flow from cars to power lines, we call it "vehicle to grid" power, or V2G. Cars pack a lot of power. One typical electric-drive vehicle can put out over 10kW, the average draw of 10 houses. The key to realizing economic value from V2G is precise timing of its grid power production to fit within driving requirments while meeting the time-critical power "dispatch" of the electric distribution system.

www.udel.edu...

This site also has peer-reviewed papers for V2G.

So are cars could connect to a grid that powers are homes and places of business.

These new cars can provide 7x the power we use today.

New cars like electric, hybrids and solar/electric.

Here's a You Tube video.
www.youtube.com...

The best part is, we will be able to sell power to the grid.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well, yes, technically it's feasible to run your home from your car.

It has been even with gasoline engines. I know a few people who power their cottage by using their truck as a generator.

But in the instance of electric vehicles, you want to use your household electricity to recharge your car so you can drive away. Usually not the other way around.

But I suppose it's a good option to have in the event of say, a blackout. Where the grid can't supply you with electricity, and your charged electric car has what you need to get you through the blackout.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
But I suppose it's a good option to have in the event of say, a blackout.

Other than that, I don't see any economic value in running a gas engine to produce electricity. It's just too expensive, both in terms of fuel and actual hardware.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
That last one for the blackout was actually regarding electric vehicles... I have a bad habit of not specifying.

Yeah, the people I know who used to power their cottages via their vehicles no longer do it. They tend to bring a battery backup and just put it in the cottage now. They don't run so many electronics anymore.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Would be nice if supermarkets and malls paid their customers to park... It's just a sensible use of technology imo, having the car as an emergency backup generator makes sense. Though I think the best solution for your average middle class household in temperate and warm climates is full solar power, both solar to electric and solar generation of hydrogen for the car, the cooking and also backup generators for the winter. The house could fill itself up in the summer for the winter months for example.

This thread just shows that there are much smarter ways to think of energy than what is the current standard, mid 20th century technology. I say bring in the solar - water revolution asap.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zepherian
This thread just shows that there are much smarter ways to think of energy than what is the current standard, mid 20th century technology.

Oh heck yes there are much smarter ways to use our energy. There's another thread that started as a wind turbine on a car that ended with it's answer, but then turned to the topic energy saving methods. Take a look.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Exactly,

There's alot of good technology out there.

V2G would be great because you can save even more money with Solar power. You can sell more power to the grid from your car that you don't really use.

Check out these 8 plug-in cars hopefully coming soon.

finance.yahoo.com...'-Plug-in-Plans

I'm convinced America needs to switch to a more green based and efficient economy. The technology is out there now to begin making the transition.

I think green technology is tied to the global economy because other countries are becoming more industrialized. So demand for oil is growing but production isn't increasing.

I hate that green technology is wrapped up in the political debate over global warming. When it get's political nothing could happen because it's about who wins or loses.

MBF

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by polomontana
Cars pack a lot of power. One typical electric-drive vehicle can put out over 10kW, the average draw of 10 houses.

Somebody needs to go back and do the math. How can one house draw just 1KW of energy? Your typical hair dryer is about 1.5Kw. Your water heater element is about 4KW and some have 2 elements. Most homes have a 10Kw transformer to supply them. You could get by with 1 KW if you would just use the lights.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
How about this

www.magneticpowerinc.com...

It's technology called GENIE although I looks as if they're still a distance from prodution.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I know this is a bit off topic but YOU NEED TO LEARN TO SPELL ENGLISH. The correct spelling is:

We can use OUR cars to power OUR homes.

I mean, really. There's no excuse for using 'are' when you mean 'our'. Nobody is ever going to take you seriously if you don't know even the most BASIC English.

Sorry to get off topic, but this is getting scary.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Thank u for stating the obviose your contrabution is appreasiated

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
I know this is a bit off topic but YOU NEED TO LEARN TO SPELL ENGLISH. The correct spelling is:

We can use OUR cars to power OUR homes.

I mean, really. There's no excuse for using 'are' when you mean 'our'. Nobody is ever going to take you seriously if you don't know even the most BASIC English.

Sorry to get off topic, but this is getting scary.

I made a mistake on a message board.

Other people answered the thread and didn't make a big deal out of it. People make mistakes when there posting. Nobody is perfect.

You sound like a nutjob if you have to spend your time trying to make corrections on a message board.

If you don't have anything to offer on the topic, you should just keep quiet because you look SILLE(I hope you understand that even though it's spelled wrong).

new topics

top topics

join