It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traditional weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Considering the nature of this website and the fact that I despise the ruling class. I thought about traditional weapons from a modern perspective. They are a fantastic choice for the modern fighter as most are not illegal to own and do not require modern industry to manufacture for yourself - some are illegal to carry in public though.

So let's say martial law comes into effect and and your fighting for freedom and survival - other than standing in the bread line with your ration book.

So how would you use traditional weapons against an enemy who is far more advanced? Some people would say that you just kill a soldier and grab his weapons and use them. Well you could but guns are noisy and attract attention. Considering there may only be 10-20 of you in your local group the last thing you need is loads of soldiers and a helicopter on you. So the fact that you you're so outnumbered becomes the defining factor, and means you must use stealth - i.e. no guns or grenades if they are any other enemy within a couple of miles that could hear it. So my conclusion is that any rebel family or community militia would have to use SAS small group tactics. So plenty of martial arts and ninja training would be important. You can be thankful that most soldiers are thugs in a uniform who have gun and know how to use it, especially these days when the forces seem to use almost anyone with an IQ over 75 for cannon fodder...desire to follow orders and be eager to commit violence seems much more important than any ability to think to a substantial degree. So if you have a brain and know how to use it you can probably beat them with patience and cunning - if you've played computer games like Thief you'll know the mindset required. It's mainly the skilled officers and the special forces you have to be careful of.

Thankfully most standard soldier patrols occur in small numbers too, if you're really lucky it might just be 3-4 four guys in a jeep. Worse it could be say 10-15 guys with an armoured vehicle. Stealing their vehicles is a good idea of you can operate them but better to stash them somewhere as you can hardly drive around casually without getting spotted. As stealth and covert action are your main methods you need to prompted clean up and remove evidence of your little assault. After you've made them 'disappear' you need to get the hell out of there because more will come looking for them later - unless that's what you're hoping for and want to wait to get them too.

You're not going to usurp the military doing this. If you want your country back you'll need to storm the main military and political centers will millions of outraged rioting people. But you can protect your families and communities who are out in the suburbs or rural areas trying to live out of arms reach of the brunt of the repression.

If the world did become like Orwell's 1984 then I think a Brave New World scenario is most likely, as the government cannot be certain to round up every single human into the cities, there'll always be some who live wild on the outside. ow these wild ones are likely to be ignored for the large part because the elite only need to control and confine 90% of humans to cities to get what they want, the stragglers will be irrelevant. So if you do escape to the wilds then you can expect to be ignored, but you can't rely on it so a trained SAS style militia is important.

Would be interested to read what other people think about this subject. I'm sure many must have thought about what they'd do in a conflict against corrupt repressive armed forces.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
For those who think that it's impossible to fight a superior army, think about the amusing guy in Iraq who took on a whole group of US soldiers. He was inside a building and used a bicycle to go quickly from one window to another, making it look like there was more than one person hiding in the building. He managed to injure or kill and number of soldiers before they got pissed off and called in an air strike. The last that was seen of him was him riding off into the distance on his bicycle amidst the dust clouds of the air strike. Apparently he lived to fight another day. So it just goes to show that when you have the courage and the cunning you can put up a good fight.

Thousands of rebel militia groups everywhere would put things into chaos and make it near impossible for the elite to hold their empire together. The bigger the empire the faster it falls. Protecting those you love can give you courage you never thought you had.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
For those who think that it's impossible to fight a superior army, think about the amusing guy in Iraq who took on a whole group of US soldiers. He was inside a building and used a bicycle to go quickly from one window to another, making it look like there was more than one person hiding in the building. He managed to injure or kill and number of soldiers before they got pissed off and called in an air strike. The last that was seen of him was him riding off into the distance on his bicycle amidst the dust clouds of the air strike. Apparently he lived to fight another day. So it just goes to show that when you have the courage and the cunning you can put up a good fight.

Thousands of rebel militia groups everywhere would put things into chaos and make it near impossible for the elite to hold their empire together. The bigger the empire the faster it falls. Protecting those you love can give you courage you never thought you had.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

SAS tactics? Ninjitsu? I now have this mental image of a survivalist dressed up in a $20 ninja outfit, "sneaking" through the shadows, all the while wielding a fantasy katana.

Alright, to throw out a generic scenario - you are a resident of occupied territory. The enemy force is modern, large and sophisticated. Let's just assume they are American or British clones. How do you defeat them? Just do what every other irregular force has ever done: wage a war of attrition. Set traps, use homemade bombs, snipe them whenever and wherever you get a chance. When they eat your food, poison them. When they sleep in your beds, slit their throats. Use propaganda to win over the hearts and minds of your countrymen, and to discourage their people. Consider that know military force can exist without support; you just can't fight a superior enemy force all on your lonesome (or even with your ragtag bang of rebels). You need to hook up with a larger, well-equipped group, and combine your efforts.

(Not that I'm advocating any form of terrorism or guerilla warfare: this is purely a theoretical approach. Just wanna make that clear.)

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
What has this thread to do with traditional weapons?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Let's just say hypothetically that your SitX happens and in this scenario you are fighting a losing battle against a much better trained and equipped enemy. You are probably not going to be fighting against them like you see in the movies. And I don't care who you are. You aren't going to be killing people like Rambo up close and personal. So a sword or an axe or any kind of good ammo-less weapon is really out of the question. Guns run out of ammo and will most likely get you and those around you killed in this type of situation. Most of what you would be doing would involve advanced intelligence and espionage. Learning where the enemy is moving too and laying traps and poisoning their water and food sources and what not. You might have family or friends on the other side that might help you to create general unrest among their ranks.

In short your weapons or what you think will be a good weapon won't be. Your mind will always be the best weapon, tool, survival equipment you have. Use it wisely.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I don't know what this has to do with traditional weapons? Ninjas against an army? What the?

Thought it was about good old fashioned bolt action and lever action rifles and wheel guns.

Bummed I got baited for this garbage. Gimme back my three minutes. False title posting should be an offence of sorts.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee
I don't know what this has to do with traditional weapons? Ninjas against an army? What the?

Thought it was about good old fashioned bolt action and lever action rifles and wheel guns.

Bummed I got baited for this garbage. Gimme back my three minutes. False title posting should be an offence of sorts.

Lol - I thought it was going to be about Bows, Crossbows and Axes etc

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I make a mean pointed stick.

top topics

join