It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Week That Should Have Ended McCain's Presidential Hopes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

The Week That Should Have Ended McCain's Presidential Hopes

www.huffingtonpost.com

This is the week that should have effectively ended John McCain's efforts to become the next president of the United States. But you wouldn't know it if you watched any of the mainstream media outlets or followed political reporting in the major newspapers.

During this past week: McCain called the most important entitlement program in the U.S. a disgrace, his top economic adviser called the American people whiners, McCain released an economic plan that no one thought was serious, he flip flopped on Iraq, joked about the deaths of Iranian citizens, and denied making comments that he clearly made -- TWICE. All this and it is not even Friday! Yet watching and reading the mainstream press you would think McCain was having a pretty decent political week, I mean at least Jesse Jackson didn't say anything about him.

But let's unpack McCain's week in a little more detail
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
talkingpointsmemo.com
www.huffingtonpost.com
www.democracyarsenal.org
www.politico.com

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Some of the points made are trivial, others are not.

McCain, just doesn’t seem to have a firm handle on most current events. His economic proposals don’t seem to be thought out. And he is consistently "not recalling" past votes and statements that he makes. He was also questioned on votes against legislation that would allow women to have options when choosing health insurance, that would provide birth control coverage. He declined to comment and didn’t recall the vote in question.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-7-2008 by iamcamouflage]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
The Social Security Program is a disgrace. Any entitlement program should be considered a disgrace. There are laws against pyramid and ponzi schemes, but the government runs one with immunity. Money is forcibly taken from me without my consent to take care of me in retirement. No thanks! I'll take care of myself. Why isn't there an opt out clause? Instead this money is confiscated against many peoples will.

The majority of American people are whiners. Just take a look at this article. No more discussion needed.

An Economic Plan that lowers taxes is just what we need right now. If I have to tighten my belt why shouldn't government do the same?

As far as Iraq goes, we saved this country. Maliki says he wants us out? So what! The problem with setting up democracies is that you create politicians. Isn't he due for re-election soon? Ah...thought so!

Sending cigarettes to Iran to kill them? Wasn't he just mimicking the Naziesque propaganda that infiltrates our culture everyday?

But this is coming from the Huffington Post...so I wouldn't expect anything less.

BTW Obama's one statement saying that Americans should teach their children Spanish, is more outrageous than everything McCain said this week combined.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
The Social Security Program is a disgrace. Any entitlement program should be considered a disgrace. There are laws against pyramid and ponzi schemes, but the government runs one with immunity. Money is forcibly taken from me without my consent to take care of me in retirement. No thanks! I'll take care of myself. Why isn't there an opt out clause? Instead this money is confiscated against many peoples will.

The majority of American people are whiners. Just take a look at this article. No more discussion needed.

An Economic Plan that lowers taxes is just what we need right now. If I have to tighten my belt why shouldn't government do the same?

As far as Iraq goes, we saved this country. Maliki says he wants us out? So what! The problem with setting up democracies is that you create politicians. Isn't he due for re-election soon? Ah...thought so!

Sending cigarettes to Iran to kill them? Wasn't he just mimicking the Naziesque propaganda that infiltrates our culture everyday?

But this is coming from the Huffington Post...so I wouldn't expect anything less.

BTW Obama's one statement saying that Americans should teach their children Spanish, is more outrageous than everything McCain said this week combined.

So are you against all forms of taxation and govt provided public services and programs?

The article is from the Huffington post but all the points listed are cited from other sources, abcnews, politico.com, etc.

Why is suggesting that Americans teach their children Spanish outrageous?

I'm choosing not to address your other points, because as you have stated "no more discussion needed", its clear you have your opinions based upon belief and not referenced sources.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Wow I honestly cannot believe I didn't hear about one word of this anywhere this week. All I kept hearing about, even on CNN, was about how Obama is flip flopping on Iraq when MCSAME IS DOING THE SAME THING! It is unbelievably frustrating to me.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage

So are you against all forms of taxation and govt provided public services and programs?

The article is from the Huffington post but all the points listed are cited from other sources, abcnews, politico.com, etc.

Why is suggesting that Americans teach their children Spanish outrageous?

I'm choosing not to address your other points, because as you have stated "no more discussion needed", its clear you have your opinions based upon belief and not referenced sources.

Taxes based on consumption are fine, you can control that. But taxes on income should be abolished. You are trading your time and skills for an equal amount of money. This is an equal trade-off. You are gaining nothing, and shouldn't be taxed on a zero gain. We do need money for our countries defense, and infrastructure, but anything else should be handled by the private sector.

The Spanish thing? I have a problem with government officials telling me what is best for my family. Why should I have to teach my kids Spanish? To communicate better with illegal aliens? Why is he leaving out French, German, Russian, Chinese, Japanese etc. He specifically mentioned Spanish. Why?

Back to McCain....As long as Obama keeps up his flip-flops, keeps degrading Americans, as much as an idiot McCain is...he will remain a contender in this race.

McCain and Obama....Is this the best we can do? It's not a surprise that the Democrats send out another weak candidate. They have a good streak going there. (ALGORE and John Kerry.) But for the Republicans to settle for McCain is disturbing.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
McCain is a hack, it is that simple. I saw a quote of RRconservative and I just wanted to let him know there is an "opt out" it is called moving to another country, fitting because so many on the 'conservative' side of the aisle too many times have offered those of us who do not like their policies the same 'opt out'. It works both ways take advantage of it

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
McCain is a hack, it is that simple. I saw a quote of RRconservative and I just wanted to let him know there is an "opt out" it is called moving to another country, fitting because so many on the 'conservative' side of the aisle too many times have offered those of us who do not like their policies the same 'opt out'. It works both ways take advantage of it

McCain is a hack! No doubt about it. He even fell for the Global Warming Hoax. That tells me he isn't very bright. Very weak Republican candidate against an ever weaker Democrat candidate.

What does wanting to "opt out" of Social Security have to do with moving to another country? Bush wanted to partially privatize Social Security so obviously I am not the only one thinking this way. Since that didn't happen it is only a matter of time before Social Security is broke, maybe when that happens we can find away to get rid of it permanately.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Taxes based on consumption are fine, you can control that. But taxes on income should be abolished. You are trading your time and skills for an equal amount of money. This is an equal trade-off. You are gaining nothing, and shouldn't be taxed on a zero gain. We do need money for our countries defense, and infrastructure, but anything else should be handled by the private sector.

The Spanish thing? I have a problem with government officials telling me what is best for my family. Why should I have to teach my kids Spanish? To communicate better with illegal aliens? Why is he leaving out French, German, Russian, Chinese, Japanese etc. He specifically mentioned Spanish. Why?

Back to McCain....As long as Obama keeps up his flip-flops, keeps degrading Americans, as much as an idiot McCain is...he will remain a contender in this race.

McCain and Obama....Is this the best we can do? It's not a surprise that the Democrats send out another weak candidate. They have a good streak going there. (ALGORE and John Kerry.) But for the Republicans to settle for McCain is disturbing.

I think he suggests Spanish because we border this country called Mexico and Spanish is there native language. You do realize that there are Mexican immigrants that enter this country legally and it may take some of them time to learn the english language completely. There are people who were born here who dont have a very good grasp of the english language.

So you wouldnt be opposed to a tax on consumption that was placed into a Social Security fund?
What about police and fire departments, schools, museums? Should these be privatized?
Where does infrastructure end and private sector begin? Roads and electric lines are considered infrastructure but they are used by private companies.
What are your thoughts on the bailing out of the banking sector during this sub prime mess? Or the bailing out of the airline industry after 9/11?

I'm not trying to push your buttons or anything, it seems we just see things differently and I like to see how you view where the black, white and gray areas start, stop and blend.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

McCain is a hack! No doubt about it. He even fell for the Global Warming Hoax. That tells me he isn't very bright. Very weak Republican candidate against an ever weaker Democrat candidate.

What does wanting to "opt out" of Social Security have to do with moving to another country? Bush wanted to partially privatize Social Security so obviously I am not the only one thinking this way. Since that didn't happen it is only a matter of time before Social Security is broke, maybe when that happens we can find away to get rid of it permanately.

I'm very confused by your statements of Global warming "hoax"(you have also listed this in other threads) when you constantly have an avatar of some type of obama hoax or propaganda.

First you had photoshopped picture of Obama with huge ears, then you have a pic of him with bin laden and now you have a pic of him not putting his hand over his heart which is photoshopped and you are perpetuating these obama myths and hoaxes and then claim hoax for you own issues. Frankly it hurts your credibility. People might take you more seriously if your avatar didnt scream propaganda.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I think he suggests Spanish because we border this country called Mexico and Spanish is there native language.

So you wouldnt be opposed to a tax on consumption that was placed into a Social Security fund?

What about police and fire departments, schools, museums? Should these be privatized?

What are your thoughts on the bailing out of the banking sector during this sub prime mess? Or the bailing out of the airline industry after 9/11?

They are coming here. We aren't going there. The burden of learning another language should fall on them.

I am 100% against Social Security period.

Police and fire departments should be funded by local and state government. NOT Federal. Schools, and museums, should be privatized. Especially schools, The government does not owe you a free education.

Government should not be bailing out banks, even though I think they were strong-armed by government to make "affirmative action" loans. No bailout of the airline industry also.

EDIT: I caught your post when I posted mine.

The picture of Obama not putting his hand over his heart is 100% authentic. The one with the big ears is a PARODY! It represented just some of the things you can't say about Obama. The one with Obama in Muslim Garb, well I just didn't want to beat a dead horse so I removed it.

I'm gonna stick with my current Avatar for a while.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

you constantly have an avatar of some type of obama hoax or propaganda.

First you had photoshopped picture of Obama with huge ears, then you have a pic of him with bin laden and now you have a pic of him not putting his hand over his heart which is photoshopped and you are perpetuating these obama myths and hoaxes and then claim hoax for you own issues. Frankly it hurts your credibility. People might take you more seriously if your avatar didnt scream propaganda.

I actually have that avatar as a link direct to TIME magazine, but I like this video much better.
You may have to turn the volume down though as the woman singing sounds as bad as Hillary's version.
Regardless, I am surprised you had not heard long ago about the Obama that disrespects our National Anthem. The man is a disgrace.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by JustTheFacts] uugh, spell check

[edit on 10-7-2008 by JustTheFacts]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   

I saw a quote of RRconservative and I just wanted to let him know there is an "opt out" it is called moving to another country...

There are other ways to opt out:
Swingarm provided a good link in this post. It's a long read (96 pages in PDF format) & I've yet to finish it myself, but well worth it.
There's also a few other threads here & there on ATS that discuss the "illegal laws" & how to find proper remedy & recourse to help out. If enough People actually take the time & effort to use the "opt-outs," the illegitimate government may actually weaken enough so that Constitutional Law can be restored. The big problem I see is--Will there be enough time to do it?

But yeah, McCain is a hack...Obama is a hack. I think the only one in Government Office of any kind right now who actually takes his Oath of Office seriously is Ron Paul (He is still in Congress, ya' know
), but one person can't really accomplish any positive action as long as the rest of the government outnumbers him: It's going to take "We The People" vastly outnumbering them to make a difference.
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people...They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. "--Thomas Jefferson

[edit on 11-7-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
McCain is going to be the next president of the United States. It's getting kinda obvious now. He followed the number one rule for running for office: be vauge in everything you say.

Obama has be too specific and has stated his views on topics. McCain leaves every question open like a politician is suppose to.

The question is who he will choose for his cabinet when he is elected.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by JustTheFacts

Wow, if it were me I would have been putting my hands over my ears. It takes a man not to do even that.

Anyways, I looked up the proper etiquette for the National Anthem and it is as follows;

United States Code, 36 USC Sec. 301, states that during the playing of "The Star Spangled Banner" (United States National Anthem) when the flag is displayed, everyone except those in uniform should stand at attention while facing the flag with their right hand over their heart. Those in attendance who are not in uniform should remove any headwear with their right hand and hold it at their left shoulder, with their right hand held over their heart. Individuals in uniform should show the military salute during the first note of the anthem and stay in this position until the last note. If the flag is not displayed, people in attendance should face the music and respond as if the flag were present.
(Emphasis added)

If there was no flag being presented he was doing nothing wrong. I notice there is a giant flag behind them but it could just be a stage background and not an actual flag, in which case he would still be doing nothing wrong. If it IS flag then neither Richardson, Clinton, or Obama were facing it and all would be doing it wrong.

Source:

en.wikipedia.org...-9

Wikipedia's sources for that section:

Flag Code

U.S. Code

[edit on 7/11/2008 by InterestedObserver]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Schools, and museums, should be privatized. Especially schools, The government does not owe you a free education.
reply to post by RRconservative

Well, the the founding fathers didn't seem to agree with you, they saw the education of the masses as critical to democracy.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. " and "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day." - Thomas Jefferson

"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." - Benjamin Franklin

The idea being that if the government does not offer free education to the people only the wealthy of our society would have access to it, and we know how that ends.

[edit on 11-7-2008 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Social Security is a disgrace. Both Parties have raped and pillaged it for decades to fund pet projects to buy votes. Both Parties are equally responsible. Time to take the blinders off.

Both Candidates have said many dumb things and so have their proponents. It is called Politics. They will both do many more dumb things.

How would you like to be held accountable for everything, everyone you know says, every day? No difference here. When you clicked on the link to that site, they made money. Do you really think they give a damn?

I think this is the most NON-STORY I have read in a while.

Huffington Post must not have anything meaningful to say this week
But then; they seldom do.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I agree that the problem with social security is not the program itself, its the politicians using the funds for reasons outside of the scope of the program. The fund was meant to be untouched, except for the senior citizens accessing it when eligible.

The Huffington Post obtains many of its stories from other news sites and reposts them in an editorial. All of the points made were originally written and posted by other organizations, abcnews, politico.com, etc...
Many dismiss them as an unreputible source but they are only reposting from other news sources.

Being held accountable for everything you say is completely resonable. It doesnt mean you cant change your mind or cant re-evaluate what you said but being accountable for what you said requires justification.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I think he suggests Spanish because we border this country called Mexico and Spanish is there native language. You do realize that there are Mexican immigrants that enter this country legally and it may take some of them time to learn the english language completely. There are people who were born here who dont have a very good grasp of the english language.

Well, I'm originally from Northern NY. We border Canada. Should I have to learn French?

I'm behind every kid in the US learning a second language. I just have a problem with the US catering to Spanish.

And why should I learn Spanish? Because it may take some illegal time to learn the language? Well, that's their problem. What about our grandparents? I bet there weren't too many signs in Irish, Welsh, German or French when mine got off the freakin' boat at Ellis.

And Social Security is a joke. It's a pyramid scheme. Ida May Fuller contributed $24.75 to the system, and collected $$22,888.92. That is the definition of a pyramid scheme.

[edit on 11-7-2008 by jerico65]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

French is native tounge for 23% of Canadians

But for the sake of argument lets say that for better cultural development Americans taking on a second language is just a wise thing to do. With that said, we boarder two countries, Canada and Mexico. So, learning French or Spanish could just be a good idea. But since French is the native tounge for only 23% of Canadians and Spanish is the native tounge for over 95% of people from Mexico, I would say learning Spanish is probably a better choice.

I dont think learning Spanish, is catering to Mexicans, its only stating the fact that the most common foriegn language for Americans to come in contact with will undoubtly be Spanish. Globally he should have said that American should learn to speak Mandrin because that is the most used language in the world. And to note Spanish is the second most used language in the world followed by English. French is not even in the top ten.

I dont disagree that the social security program has flaws because the politcians exploited the funds set aside for the people that paid in.

I think you are mis-representing Ida May Fuller. She fell into a class of people who started paying into the system at the start of the program and at the end of their working careers. She received $22,888.92 over the course of 35 years, this amounted to just over $650 per year.

Not everyone in this country is able to earn a large enough of an income to invest for retirement. This program redistributes wealth to help those who cannot invest for their retirements. Before this program many of the elderly in this country went hungry and didnt have a place to live.

Ida May Fuller

Social Security

Social Security Reduces Poor Elderly

top topics

<<   2 >>

join