It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with Firefox update problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I downloaded the newest updates last week. Ever since then I keep getting pages not responding and freezing up my pc. I didn't have this before I updated. So, I restored it to before the update and it was fine again. Then the firefox widow popped up and it updated again. Now I'm having the pages not responding again.

Also, all my bookmarks that were not in folders, and there were ALOT of them are totally gone.

Both my kids have the same pc's and did the firefox update and their pc's are doing the same thing--the not responding thing and freezing the pc.

Can we bypass that update? Anyone else having the same problems?

edited to say that not all my bookmarks are gone. Folders A-H in alphabetical order are still there. I'm missing I-Z folders which is really weird.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by virraszto]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I upgraded last week and have been having problems too. Freezing, not booting up/shutting down correctly and a few others.
Sorry, I don't have a fix but just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This is really getting bad. Every 10 to 15 min, my pc locks up. I did restore it to an earlier date, but every time I restart firefox, I get the screen that says I updated. Something is not right. I'm going to have to download netscape, I guess. I refuse to use IE.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Never had that problem, it works fine for me. I take it you are updating to FF3, in which case it works perfectly well for me. Assuming you have XP, the bookmarks should be in the following location:
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[some weird number]\

There should then be an html document of your bookmarks there. If not then I'm not sure. You will need to have it showing hidden files and folders to get to it though.

Your PC locking up sounds more like a virus (particularly if using system restore), FF should never cause that. Uninstalling it and deleting the folder would probably be a better way of getting rid of it, to install it again. The updating screen should then stop but a good way to get rid of it is to make sure only one install is present on your system.

And if a different browser is wanted, I'd recommend opera.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

I didn't have problems as bad as yours but I got rid of some of the add-ons like the weather on my toolbar and things seem to be going better. My computer isn't all that old but, I guess they were just too much for it.
It's still not working quite as well as before ff3 bit, it's tolerable.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'm sorry you are having so many problems. Personally I find it to be the most stable version yet.

I would do a comprehensive virus/spyware scan if I were you...at least rule out that possibility.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I had the same thing happen, was really bad two nights ago, seems to be better since....actually running normally.
Another thing it will sometimes do is have the pop-up message stating the Firfox has stopped working....right after I close it

I have a lot of anti-virus ans -spyware stuff running, so I doubt that is the issue.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I wonder if it could be a vista issue?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'm running XP. I even got the 'start up in safe mode' screen once. Don't think it's a bug as I'm pretty protected and just don't get them very often but, I'll check.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Hi everyone.

I've been running "3" for awhile now and have had no issues.

I would question where you downloaded from as a starting point. Was it a reliable porthole??
If not a worm might have come down with it.

Secondly, I've experienced so many programs that, when working with XP, that miss load or partial load because the anti-virus is on.

Download FF3 again, dump the version you have (Or try to do a repair from add/remove in control) and get off the grid.

Close your AV and no do the install.

Hope that it works for you.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I'm running FF under Vista and have no problems.

Might be a good idea to run HijackThis! a browser utility to look at the add ins. You can post it here and I'll be happy to look at it.

However, since more than one person is having issues, it might be a bigger problem.

Odd that FF is self-updating. On my installation it always asks. Did you uncheck any options to download updates automatically?

Hope it resolves for you and sorry to hear of your troubles.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
If his FF is auto-updating, the problem has nothing to do with his PC being infected, since the update can only come from Mozilla.

A lot of folks are having v3 issues. I always wait a few months before upgrading any app, time to let the dev's work out the bugs.

If you want to revert to v2, and sit until patches are done:

Revert back to v2
Disconnect your PC from the net physically (disconnect, power off modem, etc),
Open up FF
Click the Stop button
In the upper bar, go tools/options, advanced tab, then Update tab within that.
Uncheck Auto update.
Close FF
Reconnect the net connection, and rock and roll

That will be $37,842 (eh, times are hard ya know !!)

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I am just getting back on the internet today. Had to buy a new router. As far as the Firefox goes, a little window comes up and tells me I need to update. It doesn't give me an option not to. It says, Update now or later? I hit later and it says it will update when I restart Firefox. I am running XP. I went ahead and downloaded netscape and am having absolutely no problems with it.

Both my kids have the exact same pc as I do, and they updated firefox and they are having exactly the same problems. They also decided to use netscape for the time being until we figure out what the problem is.

I've run virus scans and I don't think that's it. I'll have my husband take a look at my pc and see what he thinks. He knows more about this stuff than I do.

Thanks for the advice and I"ll try to get my bookmarks back.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e

I seem to have gotten mine fixed in a round about way. I went to the ms update site and somehow didn't have the xp service pack 3. My hard drive crapped out about 6 months ago so it must have never gotten updated from that even though I have auto update on and checked manually numerous times. I dunno?

One thing I did notice was that the download was having some real problems with my av turned on. Turned av off, loaded it and, I'm off to the races.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on this. It really helps some of us old farts out (if I was a mod, I'd slide you some points hint hint)

top topics

join