It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Test-Fires More Missiles in Persian Gulf; Rice Issues Warning

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Iran Test-Fires More Missiles in Persian Gulf; Rice Issues Warning

www.foxnews.com

BREAKING NEWS State television says Iran has test-fired medium and long-range missiles in the Persian Gulf for a second day.

Thursday's report says the missiles have "special capabilities" but did not elaborate. They were launched throughout the night. The report comes a day after Iran test-fired at least nine missiles, including ones capable of hitting Israel.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice warned Iran on Thursday that the United States will not back down in the face of Iranian threats
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I think it's just absurd that Israel can openly practise bombing runs to Iran and the US can position it's ground forces on both Iranian borders and patrol the Iranian coast, but when Iran tests it's own equipment inside it's own borders THEY are seen to be a THREAT.?

Unfortunately, there are plenty of morons who will agree Iran "needs killin" for this and it looks like they'll get their wish soon enough. God help us all.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
And this is exactly why I think Israel will hit Iran after the November elections...

(CNN) -- Sen. John McCain said Wednesday that Iran's missile test shows the need for an effective missile defense system, while rival Sen. Barack Obama said it shows aggressive diplomacy, combined with sanctions, is necessary.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I hate to say it but Iran is shooting itself in the foot with these displays. It was one thing to claim they were innocent and saying they dont want a war, that had alot of easily fooled people buying it all over the world, but now they have moved from the poor defenseless Iran to a threat. They would have been much better off keeping a low profile and if US/Israel does attack they get the sympathy of the world, they just dropped down a few notches on that aspect with these "tests". Right or wrong this just proved they are not quite as smart as they thought playing this out.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Iran are mearly following the example of Israel and the USA with aggressive posturing - and the message is ` we will fight back` , they have the ability to reach out of touch US bases in iraq (heck most of the ME where US bases are) and to attack , with serious force carrier groups.

i can see missile strikes against US bases outside iraq - say in SA and the UAE - but as long as they only hit US bases , those countries will likely remain neutral

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Something I have noticed more lately is how many people accept the idea of "preemptive war". I remember taking great pride in the fact we never attack another country unless we are attacked first.

Attacking a sovereign nation that poses no direct threat is illegal by any standard. Well ofcourse Iran is not a direct threat to our national security. Our national defense is being used as a goon squad to steal the natural resources of another country for private interests.

"Preemptive war" as a doctrine would never have been accepted without 9/11.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
Something I have noticed more lately is how many people accept the idea of "preemptive war". I remember taking great pride in the fact we never attack another country unless we are attacked first.

The doctrine of waiting to be attacked before retaliating (and being smug about it) became obsolete with the development of weapons of mass destruction and long range delivery systems. Add to that the emergence of countries and terrorist groups that welcome their own deaths for religious reasons. All that means that we now have to try and stop them before they attack us. The cost of waiting to be attacked is now too great. Waiting for a mushroom cloud to rise over New York with millions dead is unacceptable. Although if that tragically were allowed to happen, I can imagine the "peace at any price" crowd saying, "It's only one city and we must have deserved it".

"Preemptive war" as a doctrine would never have been accepted without 9/11.

Now maybe you're starting to get it.

[edit on 7/10/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Its only a matter of time now. Its obvious that the U.S. is going to find a reason to bomb the hell out of Iran. Really the only question that remains is what side the other country's will be on.
Israel,U.S. vs Iran,Russia?
In wars like these no one wins in the end.
Everyone who has watched War Games knows this..

The WOPR then cycles through all the nuclear war scenarios that it has devised, which all end with no winner. WOPR learns that "the only winning move is not to play" (due to mutual assured destruction) and simply ceases playing. In the end WOPR decides it would prefer "a nice game of chess."

Maybe we could challenge Iran to a nice game of chess.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Related:

In an Iranian Image, a Missile Too Many

As news spread across the world of Iran’s provocative missile tests, so did an image of four missiles heading skyward in unison. Unfortunately, it appeared to contain one too many missiles, a fact that had not emerged before the photo appeared on the front pages of The Los Angeles Times, The Financial Times, The Chicago Tribune and several other newspapers as well as on BBC News, MSNBC, Yahoo! News, NYTimes.com and many other major news Web sites.

Agence France-Presse said that it obtained the image from the Web site of Sepah News, the media arm of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards, on Wednesday. But there was no sign of it there later in the day. Today, The Associated Press distributed what appeared to be a nearly identical photo from the same source, but without the fourth missile. SOURCE

[edit on 10-7-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Perpetual war is required to use up all those expensive weapons so we can buy some more from our friendly defense contractors who are seemingly willing to supply both sides of any conflict.

The Russians, Chinese, Pakistani's, Indians, N.Koreans etc etc all have WMD's..should we attack them?? Remember MAD from the coldwar??

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss

Perpetual war is required to use up all those expensive weapons so we can buy some more from our friendly defense contractors who are seemingly willing to supply both sides of any conflict.

Thanks for repeating what is nothing more than an appeaser's sound bite.

The Russians, Chinese, Pakistani's, Indians, N.Koreans etc etc all have WMD's..should we attack them??

It would have to be considered if they became belligerent and started threatening us or our allies.

Remember MAD from the coldwar??

Absolutely, lived through it. MAD worked because the russians didn't want to die either. Do you remember the part where we now face enemies that would welcome a martyr's death? MAD doesn't work against enemies such as this ...

[edit on 7/10/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Wooooo !! scary scary....

Big bad Condie told the Iranians to pull their heads in...I'm sure they're crapping themselves in fear...She is one scary lady...

Seriously tho, so what if they tested some missiles...They have just as much right to test weapons and engage in war games as any other nation on the planet...

The US administration needs to get a clue and get over itself...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

The indians have been renowned for siding with the allied nations during time of dicey diplomatising, believe it or not.

Didn't they provide supplies or forward bases to troops in nam' or something?

Anyway;

Originally posted by Wiz4769
I hate to say it but Iran is shooting itself in the foot with these displays.

Right or wrong this just proved they are not quite as smart as they thought playing this out.

It's never about being right or wrong in war, that's just an illusion forced onto us by our western, more 'civilised' upbringing.

From the Strategic perspective, on the other hand, right or wrong is something that can only be decided in a matter of time.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Israel ready to act

news.bbc.co.uk...

There's some itchy trigger fingers in the M.E. right now......not long until it all kicks off

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Curio

Please don't let Israel do it. We need to recolonise Iran just like we did with Iran and Afghanistan. Not just a surgical strike, a proper take over, with the aim of re educating this lot. We did it with the Germans, it took sixty years to turn them from the evil beast they were to the peace people of today. Even today we keep troops there to keep the German down, but it looks like a job well done. The same can be achieved in the ME, a proper re education of the people. Oh and you Americans, why did you push the Brits out of the ME only realising sixty years later that the region was not ready for independent rule?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I can not understand a word of this But it looks like they are showing off to the rest of the world Dont mess with us

tinypic.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
this is a furball waiting to happen - unlike iraq in 1991 , who has literally finished a 10 year war 18 months earlier , iran has been re-arming for 17 years.

and with all the posturing , i feel for our friends in israel and the rest of the middle east, as they will bare the cost for any major war.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I can imagine the "peace at any price" crowd saying, "It's only one city and we must have deserved it".

I am very peace loving. But don't you think that's pushing it a little to the extreme? Using a nuclear bomb is an atrocity in itself. If someone bombed a major U.S. city and we knew of the culprit, then I would expect dire consequences for the country who led the attack regardless of our wishes for peace.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Harlequin, I agree.
I wonder how many people are honest to goodness surprised by any of this. Are you shocked? If it weren't for the horrid pain and suffering, this whole thing would be nothing but a bore.
It would seem to me that our imaginations are much better than this. War, pain suffering. Are some people going to get their armageddon? It's disappointing to me that humanity can't do better than this, or won't.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
CNN Banner on the top of the site:

Developing Story: Iran did not conduct new missile tests today, despite Iranian media reports that it did, a senior U.S. military source tells CNN.

Nothing else yet. Seems they're making stuff up now.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join