It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Temperature and the way it is reported.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by porky1981
reply to post by Creedo

Maybe the temperatures they are reporting in the winter include 'wind chill', similarly, the temperatures reported in the summer include humidity (higher temps)...?

I don't see a conspiracy with temperatures.

[edit on 7/9/2008 by porky1981]

Official temperatures do not count wind chill as a factor. That is why stevenson screens are used to house thermometers. The temperatures reported are always the ambient air temperatures, meaning the temperature of the air. Wind chill and humidity may make it feel hotter or colder but will never affect the air temperature

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

....The temperatures reported are always the ambient air temperatures, meaning the temperature of the air. Wind chill and humidity may make it feel hotter or colder but will never affect the air temperature.

Yea... this is why I thought a reading of the air temp at my house VS the reported air temp from the media was fishy. I verified the thermometer I was using was accurate against several others to within a degree or 2. So when a consistant report of temps from the media being 20 degrees or more higher than what I was consitantly reading, especially on very hot days made me feel like they are sensationalizing the temps of hot days to seem much hotter. All I can assume at this point is that readily available home use thermometers do not read air temps the way the weather stations do. Regardless if it is digital or mercury.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Stop taking readings in the shade and you'll get close to the weather report.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Stop taking readings in the shade and you'll get close to the weather report.

LOKTARRRZ!! May your blades never dull!

OK enough WoW nerdery...

But if you take temp readings in the sun would that not read inaccuratly due to radiant heat from not only the sun, but the thermometer itself? See my understanding has always been that you want to take an air temp reading in the shade, which is basicly reading the ambiant convection heat in the air. Radiant heat, which is what the sun is, is entirely differnt. You ever sit next to a fire on a cold night? Too close and your skin gets real hot... but the air temp surrounding you is still cold. To me it just makes sence to read the air temp without all the other factors put in like wind chill...blah blah blah... I am still grappleing with the concept on how they read 110F when I read 99F in the shade. It just seems.... well... wrong!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Yeah I know the proper way to take Atmospheric temperature, I was merely poking fun at inept local Meteorologists
If no shade is available your body will do nicely in a pinch. Perhaps they are just too lazy.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by sardion2000]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join