It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Muslim Media Coverage 'Negative'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Most Muslim Media Coverage 'Negative'

news.bbc.co.uk

A Cardiff University team behind the study looked at nearly 1,000 newspaper articles from the past eight years.

Two-thirds focused on terrorism or cultural differences, and much of it used words such as militancy, radicalism and fundamentalist.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I have definitely noticed this. The Corpomedia news and our "leaders" in general tend to paint with a very wide brush, often demonizing the muslim world as a bunch of violent fanatics, when in truth, that radicalized sect is but a small fraction of these people. And yet, even here on ATS, there is CONSTANTLY people screaming "the muslims hate us!" Which shows the propaganda is working it's brainwashing magic of public herding and beliefs. Sigh.

Two-thirds focused on terrorism or cultural differences, and much of it used words such as militancy, radicalism and fundamentalist.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Well, ask yourself this... which is newsworthy, Group of Muslims go About Daily Business... Nothing Unsavory Happens. or Muslim Extremist Blows Up Self, 34 Bystanders in Marketplace Suicide Attack

I'd like to see how often newspaper articles have been positive about other groups in that same span. Taken as a whole, you either have to do something bad or something amazingly good to get your name in the media. Clearly, the solution for the Muslim groups is to stop blowing people up and start doing some humanitarian work and then maybe they'll get somewhere with this.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Here's some nice news about a muslim.

My ex housemate was a lovely lad, great fun to be with, liked a smoke a drink and had a great sense of humour.

Not once did he try and behead me or blow me up.

There...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Point taken. But these type of generalizations DO take place on BOTH sides of the coin. OUR nation is largely hated and despised the world over, because of a few maniacs who are forcing idiotic and violent policies upon our nation. Does that make ALL of us bad? Of course not! But much of the way we are portrayed is that our country in general are a war-mongering civilization, when in fact most of us DO NOT represent the same ideals as our megalomaniacal leaders at the top.

So I think these "generalizations" need to be exposed and made aware, so that people can make up their own minds, and not be "herded" into a mentality or belief system by TPTB. Just my opinion though.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
There's a huge, huge difference here, though. The argument can be made that Muslim terrorism and a perpetual state of holy war is supported by their religion, rather than by their race or nationality. Just look at the different factions within Islam. Sunis and Shiites will, without fail, launch full scale war against each other the instant they no longer have a common enemy to persue. The same cannot be said about America, the UK, Canada, France, etc. We haven't fought our own in a century and a half, and there were some significant stretches along the way in which we weren't warring with anyone at the time. The other difference is conventional war vs unconventional war. When was the last time you read about an American blowing themself up along with a couple dozen bystanders just to make a political statement or in retalliation to an act of agression by others?

I can't ever recall it happening at anytime, unless you count some crackpot taking out a group of people in a spree killing and then offing themself before the cops take them down. Yet it's been going on in the Muslim world for the last 25 years as a religion driven form of agression.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Meh, you'll see terrorism all the way back through history with almost every culture. Russia has had it's share of dealing with terrorism, Britain with Ireland, even the US had been accused of terrorism back during their fight for independence.

It will always be here. Whether you "wage war" on it or not. (In fact, waging war on it just emboldens terrorist ideals and spawns more of them).

Of course you see a huge amount of negative news about Muslims, it's propaganda. The tool used to make the public agree with attacking a particular group of people.

Make them look totally different from you, and ensure that they are viewed as "evil" and the public won't hesitate to support military action against them... in many cases if the propaganda is done correctly, the people will start calling for military action without further influence by the government.

People are easy to manipulate.

top topics

join