It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uranium from nuclear plant leaked into water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

France: uranium leaked into water

news.bbc.co.uk

Waste containing unenriched uranium has leaked into two rivers from a nuclear plant in southern France.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Let me get this straight: this hasn't been reported on ATS yet?
(If it has, just remove it, please.)

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Waste containing unenriched uranium has leaked into two rivers from a nuclear plant in southern France.

Oh yay great now we will have fish that grow deer antlers and crabs that electrocute you.....

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Being_From_Earth

Yes...

And it's still contaminated as we speak (according to the latest news bulletin).

P.S. I hope you're not flaming the messenger?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Being_From_Earth
Oh yay great now we will have fish that grow deer antlers and crabs that electrocute you...

Is it just me, or is anyone else failing to see the drawbacks here?

Comedy Gold!

[edit on 9-7-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Pokemon, real life pokemon that attack you.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Well, it would be comedy material... if it complied with the essential rule of comedy: it must not be TOO close to reality.

What I do find almost-laughable is the amazing lack of interest in this particular piece of news.

When I came here earlier today, my main intention was to see what the good people on ATS would be speculating about it.
I anticipated some wild stories (but I am prepared for those)...
What I didn't anticipate was that I would be the first one to "break" this (literally) yesterday's news.

Admittedly, attention-grabbing titles are not usually my priority here (or anywhere).

But I wonder, which part do people not get?
Uranium? Nuclear waste? Leaked? Water?

Or is it just that it's "far away" for so many visitors of this site?

Anyway, I am starting to notice a pattern here...

But more on that some other time.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Well apparently the uranium once in the water disolve (not sure if it's the term an expert who spoke on tv used) rapidly and so there is less risk.That would be a very bad idea to drink it though.I hope a serious/agenda-free investigation will take place very soon.

On the bright side, i just need to point out that this is not an incident like Tchernobyl, far from it actually.

What i wonder is if that would be easy/feasible to put aside the contaminated waters.I mean....i have no idea, i hope it is.
Oil is for instance but uranium...

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Uranium everywhere.

Almost every bit of soil has uranium in it. When people fertilize their gardens with phosphates, uranium is almost always also deposited. Many tons of uranium containing fertilizers are put on fields every year. People ignore the fact that postassium is also radio-active and that all life forms have always contained about the same amount of radioactive potassium as they always have. Even so, France should have installed millions of dollars of detectors and alarms to have prevented this spill, ; even though, the ocean and almost evry other body of water has uranium in it already. The uranium is almost completely removed by ion exchange resins or distillation...

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
considering this thread died... it makes me wonder. Does the world really care about anyone except "themselves"?

Nuclear is what everyone wants to go... Cheap energy with max profits... Maintenance is kind of an issue. Keep nuclearn energy the %%%% awawy from the Americans (im american) Most now are lazy and careless. We would screw ourselves over with nuclear power. You dont get secondchances... 1 explosion would kill tens of thousands.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Here's my speculation:

Well if this were plastered all over the news I would speculate that this event is being used to propogate fear of nuclear power, the one alternative energy that could actually help North America over the long term.

But I haven't seen it anywhere on tv so that theory is shot. I'm stumped as to why no one is talking about it. It's definitely not out of sympathy for the French or an effort to promote nuclear power. Any ideas?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

I have to disagree with you here. "Nukuler" power is one on the alternative energy sources the current US administration is really promoting. I read something about 23 new reactors being built in the US in the coming years or something like that, can't remember the details.

For you see, nuclear power relies on plutonium or uranium. Being a finite resources, like oil, coal, natural gas, etc. (well technically not finite in geological terms but you know what I mean) there are huge profits to be made as the supply can easily be controlled and because of the massive amount of infrastructure needed in mining, processing, refining, distributing and so on meaning it's very difficult, if not impossible, for new comers to join the game. Unlike solar, wind, tidal, etc where the supply is much more difficulty to control and requires substantially less infrastructure meaning that people other then the big boys have a chance to play with the toys. Therefore, it would be in their interest for their propaganda "news" machines to down play or flat out ignore stories of potential issues that could frighten the sheeple away from idea of nuclear power.

As for it not being reported on here in Canada, I would assume it is because we get most of our news from US sources and we're in the same boat as far as needing alternative energy and most of our politicians are bought and paid for by the same interest groups.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
thanks for posting OP,

here in Europe this has NOT been reported in the Mainstream news.

i wonder why !!!

thanks

snoopyuk

top topics

join