It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychiatrists identify 'climate change delusion' phenomenon...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Psychiatrists identify 'climate change delusion' phenomenon...

www.news.com.au

PSYCHIATRISTS have detected the first case of "climate change delusion" - and they haven't even yet got to Kevin Rudd and his global warming guru.

Writing in the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, Joshua Wolf and Robert Salo of our Royal Children's Hospital say this delusion was a "previously unreported phenomenon".

"A 17-year-old man was referred to the inpatient psychiatric unit at Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne with an eight-month history of depressed mood . . .
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Here are further excerpts from the article:

"The patient had also developed the belief that, due to climate change, his own water consumption could lead within days to the deaths of millions of people through exhaustion of water supplies."

But never mind the poor boy, who became too terrified even to drink. What's scarier is that people in charge of our Government seem to suffer from this "climate change delusion", too.

This is the beginning of confirmation of what many of us have suspected - that the notion of climate change caused by human activities is false, and in fact, a delusion that could require treatment in a mental facility if it intrudes into a person's life too far.

www.news.com.au

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Perhaps we should strap said experts to the bellies of polar bears as flotation cushions????

Mental defectives are running loose in the news. Lets see these folks plant a flag at the north pole in a year or so.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

So, if this is like other delusional illnesses I've read about. The first step to recovery would be to get through the denial stage. That allows the patient to move forward and seek treatment.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
reply to post by Illahee

So, if this is like other delusional illnesses I've read about. The first step to recovery would be to get through the denial stage. That allows the patient to move forward and seek treatment.

I could say the same thing for your sad devotion to "conservative philosophy".

This so-called syndrome is nothing new. The patient in question has existing delusions that happen to focus on climate change. It could have been any number of other stimuli. The root delusion is the real problem; this story is sensationalism.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Nighthawk

reply to post by Illahee

I could say the same thing for your sad devotion to "conservative philosophy".

I'm not sure, but attempted deflection of a thread could also be considered a form of denial.

Interesting that people that do not believe that global warming is caused by human activities, or are not sure it is are not being identified by medical professionals as delusional.

[edit on 7/9/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The patient's response is the delusional part.

Of course humans affect the environment. Every living thing (and some not) does as well.

To attribute climate change to the mere existence of human activity is myopic and vain. Can we stop the natural cycles of the planet? I truly doubt it. Can we mitigate the effect, perhaps, but that is also quite doubtful since we as a global community can't seem to agree on anything at any time.

Global climate change will occur no matter what. If it didn't, this would be a dead planet.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
What is this Climate Change ,, that they are speaking of??? Did someone change the Global Warming title??? Or isnt the Globe Warming anymore... so they had to change the title to just Climate Change??? I live in Wisconsin.. each winter over the last 10 yrs has been colder and colder.. so the gas companies are saying.. cant hardly afford to keep the house above 50 degrees ,, its been so cold the demand for heating fuel is skyrocketing.. I like it better when the winters were getting warmer.. (damnnnnnn)

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This is hilarious! A 17 year old kid that is depressed. Aren't *all* 17 year old kids depressed?

But to be depressed because he thinks if he takes a drink of water, he'll affect millions of people? Delusional. It sounds like an Australian thing, since PM Kevin Rudd is an alarmist also.

Maybe this kid should visit Algore.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Here's what I think to MMGW: RUBBISH! It's natural.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What is this Climate Change ,, that they are speaking of??? Did someone change the Global Warming title???

You got it. There were too many holes to be picked in "Global Warming" so they changed it to "Climate Change" instead, as they can then say that anything natural is due to climate change.

I noticed a trend in the last couple of months for severe weather that had "nothing to do with climate change" attached to the reports. HUH??? It's all to do with the climate.

The BS is getting so tangled up, their starting to believe their own lies, and are getting confused as to what they're trying to say.

None of what is happening to the weather systems etc.. is bad. It's just natural. So some land gets flooded, it gets a bit warmer. WOW.

It's just a scam to make money.

EDIT: It's also a control thing. Scare people into not traveling so much, not buying things (ooh - think of the CO2 emitted to produce x), not going on holiday etc.. because of the effect on the climate... It's BS.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Nice try, attacking the issue of global warming by presenting a sad case of an individual presenting with a mental illness and delusion that has a topical influence. The Psyche report does not say that climate change does not exist, but rather the individuals specific delusion, that his drinking of water will kill millions of people, is in fact not based on reality. But here is a link( From the same source you use in your OP and also related to an Australian Climate change and Global Warming Issue) that is based on reality, something you Climate change and global warming sceptics should base your arguments on. Rather than this pathetic effort, No wonder you had to resort to a U2U to gain my interest in this thread. source

JOURNALIST: Is climate change the problem for the Murray-Darling?

WONG: Well, look it’s firstly the case that we are tracking at really historic lows in the Murray-Darling. Now to what extent that is climate change and to what extent part of that is just temporal drought I am sure people will argue. What I can tell you is this, the CSIRO have got reports out that project where climate change will take the reduction in water into the Murray-Darling by 2050. We’re currently tracking below the worst-case scenario of mid-century. In other words, what we are experiencing now is worse than the scientists have predicted for the worst case climate change scenario for 2050.

source
Here is a link to the organisation, CSIRO, that is mentioned above. CSIRO
And a Government study on climate change and global warming effecting extreme drought in the future, which we see here in Australia. www.bom.gov.au... here is the link to the actual report Report

"it is extremely unlikely that enough rain will fall this winter to let the Murray-Darling river system be used for agriculture."

Flannery, in his book "The Weather Makers," has an explanation for the severe drought. For the first 146 years of European habitation in southwest Australia, winter rainfalls were reliable, he says, but everything changed in 1975, when winter rainfall began a decline of ten to twenty percent. Half of the decline is due to global warming, which has pushed the temperate weather zone farther south, and half has come from destruction of the ozone layer over the South Pole.

source
Here is a report from 2002, relating to higher temperatures in and around the Murray-Darling Basin.....which Now, in 2008, is almost beyond saving.

The Murray Darling Basin experienced average maximum temperatures more than 1.2°C higher than in any previous drought since 1950.

"Most of this warming is likely due to the increase in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere from human activity such as burning fossil fuels for electricity and transport and from land-clearing," said Karoly.

The actual trend in Australian temperature since 1950 now matches the climate model studies of how temperatures respond to increased greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Karoly believes this is the first drought in Australia where the impact of human-induced global warming can be clearly observed.

Dr. Risbey said that although the 2002 drought was related to natural climate variations associated with El Niño, last year's higher temperatures could not be attributed solely to this factor.

"While higher temperatures are expected during El Niño triggered droughts," Risbey said, "the 2002 drought temperatures are extraordinary when compared to the four major droughts since 1950, with average maximum temperatures more than 1°C higher than these other droughts."
source

I could go on all day, on just one environmental problem, in just one country, linked to climate change and global warming as a result of human activity.....backed by science and observation. While those critical of GW and Climate Change sceptic scramble from one pathetic attempt at debunking to another. This thread is possibly the worst i have seen. The fact that you exploit a mentally ill person, and their specific delusion, in this manner is one of the lowest attacks within this debate and further proof that you lack any valid argument or fact based views. Or in other words, also a delusion.

But like the OP has said before "The first step to recovery would be to get through the denial stage. That allows the patient to move forward and seek treatment." Good luck OP, we'll get you through it.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Here are further excerpts from the article:

"The patient had also developed the belief that, due to climate change, his own water consumption could lead within days to the deaths of millions of people through exhaustion of water supplies."

But never mind the poor boy, who became too terrified even to drink. What's scarier is that people in charge of our Government seem to suffer from this "climate change delusion", too.

This is the beginning of confirmation of what many of us have suspected - that the notion of climate change caused by human activities is false, and in fact, a delusion that could require treatment in a mental facility if it intrudes into a person's life too far.

www.news.com.au

You are citing one event and speaking as if the entire issue has been resolved !

I will speak of what I know... My father was the social ecology department head at UCI ( a rather conservative institution).

The university spent tens of millions of dollars researching this for thirty years. If you know anything about research, you would know that a state U does not spend $$$ more then once on a pseudo science. I would be bad business and heads would roll...
Never the less there was well over ten grants of research awarded to his department in this area of studies.

The names have changed - now it is global warming - before, green house effect -- before, the venues effect ---

The point is I spent my entire childhood around this stuff... I was encouraged by my father to learn and assist in his experiments. I can say three things in life I know very intimately ... this is one of them

It seems that you do not understand the science or the math behind Global warming -----

OR

you don't really give a S#$t.

OR

You blindly support some sort of ideology, so you don't give a s@$t!

Global warming is simple
-- CO2 gas traps solar heat in any atmosphere ---
-- CO2 achieves this by absorbing sunlight ---
-- This extra solar heat raises the earths temperature--
-- CO2 is a natural byproduct of terrestrial breathing, farting--

What is not "natural" is the extra amount of CO2 human put into the atmosphere-
Burning ANYTHING creates CO2 - there 6,000,000,000 humans who burn various thing everyday. You do the math...

You talk as if this is some sort of mythical creation -- My father is a republican like you,
to my knowledge not one "Pinko agent" planted data, ever. He is just a man who loves science...

If you need an example of the green house effect look at Venus (the planet) --

Millions of miles farther from the sun then Mercury yet considerably hotter...
This is proven to be because of unusually high CO2 atmospheric ratio to other gases.

This is a fact at least 60 years old...

I don't care if you just don't give a s%$t -- But your thinking seems to be as outlandish
as a 8,000 year old earth proposed by the "creationists" here on ATS.

The amount of CO2 released each year is in the 1,000,000,000's of cubic tons.

The earth cannot absorb this quantity natural -- so the effect is solar heat trapped instead of being reflected back into space.

Like I said the science is there - it is not even difficult science ---

You SHOULD be arguing the fact that you don't care,,, if thats the case...

The science just is what it is -- no level of disbelief will ever change the reality!

I have put on My fire proof suit -- IF you want to argue why global warming doe's not matter to you then that is logical ---

But if you want to argue the science on a site that clearly states " deny ignorance", I will gladly set up an official debate with a mod and destroy any argument you may present -- With the help of a Doctorate !

However after I dispatch your logic would you concede that you are wrong???
I doubt it ... But you may be a bigger man then I suspect...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit

What is this Climate Change ,, that they are speaking of??? Did someone change the Global Warming title???

You got it. There were too many holes to be picked in "Global Warming" so they changed it to "Climate Change" instead, as they can then say that anything natural is due to climate change.

I noticed a trend in the last couple of months for severe weather that had "nothing to do with climate change" attached to the reports. HUH??? It's all to do with the climate.

The BS is getting so tangled up, their starting to believe their own lies, and are getting confused as to what they're trying to say.

None of what is happening to the weather systems etc.. is bad. It's just natural. So some land gets flooded, it gets a bit warmer. WOW.

EDIT: It's also a control thing. Scare people into not traveling so much, not buying things (ooh - think of the CO2 emitted to produce x), not going on holiday etc.. because of the effect on the climate... It's BS.

Once again pure speculation -- zero science -- and the dinosaur fossils were put here to test us!

Read some basic test books! Venus is a good natural experiment on Global warming!
You can't kill science with opinion -- that was three hundred years ago when that worked last!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
Once again pure speculation -- zero science -- and the dinosaur fossils were put here to test us!

Read some basic test books! Venus is a good natural experiment on Global warming!

Yo, mental. Did you mean "text" books or "test" books?

You can't kill science with opinion -- that was three hundred years ago when that worked last!

Exactly. So, tell that to Al Gore and his minions. They're trying it again on us. Judging from Gore's well-documented personal energy usage, it's obvious Gore doesn't believe any of this himself. Or maybe it was Gore that developed the first case of this new delusion, and has been spreading it to others ever since.

Either way, sham or delusion, it's obviously a false premise.

[edit on 7/15/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit

Yup a bunch of liberal terrorist lovers!
I could give a half a damn about this anyways. I ain't gonna live for ever, it ain't my problem even if it was true -- By a boat is what I say -- If you can't swim thats to bad!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The psychiatrist is in need of a psychiatrist. He is in extreme denial about the cause of the young man's delusion. Almost all delusions have some basis in fact. It's like blaming schizophrenia on a belief in mental illness.

new topics

top topics

join