It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is a member of the Interactive Advertising Bureau; What is it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Here's their site.

Founded in 1996, the Interactive Advertising Bureau represents over 375 leading interactive companies that actively engage in and support the sale of interactive advertising. IAB members are responsible for selling over 86% of online advertising in the United States. On behalf of its members, the IAB is dedicated to the continuing growth of the interactive advertising marketplace, of interactive’s share of total marketing spend, and of its members’ share of total marketing spend. The IAB evaluates and recommends standards and practices, fields interactive effectiveness research, and educates marketers, agencies, and media companies, as well as the wider business community, about the value of interactive advertising.

The IAB has six core objectives:

Fend off adverse legislation and regulation

Coalesce around market-making measurement guidelines and creative standards

Create common ground with customers to reduce costly friction in the supply chain

Share best practices that foster industry-wide growth

Generate industry-wide research and thought leadership that solidifies Interactive as a mainstream medium

Create countervailing force to balance power of other media, marketing, and agency trade groups

For a complete list of IAB Members as well as the Councils, Committees and Working Groups who are actively shaping the interactive industry, please visit the IAB Member Center.

This picture is linked at the bottom of every page:

I cannot find ATS listed in the member center for some odd reason. Is ATS a charter member and therefore not on the list or is there some other explanation?

What made ATS want to join the IAB and why?

That icon also looks a lot like the 'all seeing eye'. Any correlation?

[edit on 7/9/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
They may not be listed if they just registered, it may be that the webmaster has to add them to the list.

On another subject, did you see what the dues are?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reasons why publishers join the IAB:
www.iab.net...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

That icon also looks a lot like the 'all seeing eye'. Any correlation?

Oh noes, the all-seeing-eye!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
this inter active ad crap must be all those GD pop-up's im getting on this site. must be the new way to get past my blocker.

i understand the need for income but it is quite aggervating. no other site i go to does this to me..

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I've seen an occasional flash ad that appears in the middle of the page, but once a day at the most. It's really not that big of a deal. You're spending more time talking about it that it takes to simply click on the x and close it.

EDIT: I think these only show if you hold your mouse over the ad in question.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by dbates]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I just got one. Seldom do. It was after I had opened a link on another page. Thus the pop up came from another site that was linked to ATS.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Well I have been annoyed by this pooping ads for a while now, they are no just limited to once per section while on line but more than that.

I try several add blockers but for some reason this new ones by pass them.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

If it bothers you that much you can disable flash in your browser and they will be gone. Of course so will any embedded flash objects like YouTube videos.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

I tried but I have some sites that is necessary to used the flash when I am doing my daily internet (duties) so when I disable the flash I can not get some pages to work and that is more anoying than anything else.

Vista also have some on going issues with Micromedia flash.

I guess advertisers are getting mighty sophisticated this days.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I haven't seen a popup since I don't know when, I allow all popups from ATS, and the only two that open are chat and podcasts. I have a firewall in my router, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it anyway. Below is a nice program seems to work well from what use I have had with it.

SuperAntiSpyware

edit - link

[edit on 9/7/2008 by Sauron]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
There's another advertising link that I just noticed. It must have popped up within the time I posted this thread and now. Strange.

Media Mayhem

Sounds downright positive

Media Mayhem - "fusing experience, strategy, technology and drive."

Media Mayhem Corporation is a full-service Advertising Representation firm. Our services include online and offline marketing, and event sponsorships. We specialize in building lifestyle-based advertising solutions for our clients and engaging consumer audiences through branded film, music, art, fashion, sports, technology, entertainment and lifestyle experiences, across niche vertical markets.

We are an advertising firm that goes far beyond a typical online advertising network. We represent all of our publishers on an exclusive site-specific basis allowing our advertising clients to customize their advertising and media buys. We allow our clients to pick and choose individual websites in order to meet their campaign’s target demographic.

We engage trade and consumer media by leveraging our access and relationships to position clients directly with the key elements that drive popular culture and create new markets of opportunity. We maximize client investments by delivering strategic insight, direct-access relationships and execution across our broad range of global resources.

We exercise professional program management throughout our enterprise to deliver flawless results, utilizing the latest in technology, creative services and design to produce cutting-edge environments and experiences for our clients – all turnkey and on budget.

We maintain a successful track record supporting major corporations with a wide range of strategic and tactical communications programs and projects.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

what's so strange about it? seriously? we are being repped by Media Mayhem. Read up on them and you'll see what they do.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

maybe i just spend too much time on here. cause i get several a day.

no you dont have to scroll over an add either.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
What made ATS want to join the IAB and why?

We joined under a new program specific to Small Publishers... and I've been invited to serve on their Small Publishers Committee which will be active on a number of issues, most importantly:
-- Online privacy
-- Internet neutrality
-- Ethics on online advertising
-- Freedom of speech online
Most of which will include recommendations to congress and/or the FCC. We're about 3 or 5 months away from the first meeting or roundtable, and when these happen, I plan to pose questions to ATS members and present the opinions of our membership in these matters.

While the IAB was formed primarily for advertising concerns, many of their publisher committees and events are focused on much larger and more important goals that eventually may effect all of us.

Also... Media Mayhem is now the exclusive "ad representation" firm for the ad space on ATS. We've spent some time reviewing several firms that represent the ad space on various types of websites, and their approach will best serve our members with a good combination of advertising that make sense, and incentives that some of you might actually want.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We're about 305 months away from the first meeting or roundtable

so hurry up because in the fall/winter of 2033 Bill will be raising your questions and concerns in front of congress.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well I have been annoyed by this pooping ads for a while now,

I can assure you, without absolute certainty, there is no code currently on ATS that is designed to launch pop-up ads. I managed the code, and no such code exists on any pages anywhere on any of our sites.

If you're getting pop-ups, it's likely from one of three possible sources...

1) Another browser window open in the background launching a timed pop-up.

2) Malicious adware on your system launching pop-ups based on keywords.

3) An errant ad from one of our networks that is launching a pop-up without authority.

#3 is the only one we can control, and when we discover such (five times in the past two years), we kill them with impunity... so if it's the same banner each time, this might be the problem.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
My computer is clean, and I still get ads here.

Maybe it's not really a popup, but what it IS, is an ad that lays over the webpage, obscuring it, and you have to close them out. It doesn't open another window per se.

I'm careful not to drag my mouse over the existing ads, so it's not triggered from those, though I did notice that occasionally it will be the same as the one at the top of the page; today it was for the movie Hellboy II that did that.

I don't get them anywhere else, and as I said, this computer is clean of all spyware, etc, so it really has to be something coming from here.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
is an ad that lays over the webpage, obscuring it, and you have to close them out.

I spend a lot of time on ATS on a few different browsers, and I've never seen that. Additionally, we've opted-out of those types of expanding ads on all the networks that deliver ads to ATS -and- our method of delivering ads within an iFrame should prevent errant ads that might slip through from doing that. If you can U2U me a screen shot the next time this happens, that would be very helpful.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I get pop-ups all the time.

And I just got another pop up after I posted this.

[edit on 10/7/08 by enjoies05]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join