It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found something while looking for info on displaying a flag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Hello, while looking for information on displaying the American Flag I came across the Flag Code.

I found the section on the Pledge Of Allegiance to be interesting in that it states that persons in uniform are to remain silent and to hold a salute.

Why would a uniformed person not recite the Pledge? It seems to me those are the people that I would want most to recite it.

Anyone have information on the reason for this? I find these things interesting. Thank you.

Here is the link:
www.law.cornell.edu...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I've never hear of this.

Every possible explanation I can come up with is so full of holes, I'd be embarrassed to post it.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Awww don't be embarrassed, I am not judgmental.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Could it be something to the effect of showing respect for your leader by not speaking unless being spoken to?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Reciting the Pledge is just that. You are supposed to be showing allegiance to your country by doing so, I just don't understand why people in uniform would not do this.
All my conspiracy theories are just waiting to jump out on me at this LOL.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I can find nothing that indicates that there is anything untoward in this custom.

It is simply the custom that when in uniform a person renders a salute to the flag and remains silent. When not in uniform the person follows normal protocol for rendering the pledge of allegiance.

So, at one ceremony a person in uniform would render a salute only, while at another ceremony the same person if not in uniform would follow the protocol that anyone not in uniform would follow.

This is what the USAF HONOR GUARD BASIC PROTOCOL, HONORS, AND CEREMONIES manual has to say about the protocol.

14.15.2. Proper hand position during the Pledge of Allegiance is placing the right hand over the heart until the words “to the flag”. Then extend the arm with the palm upward toward the flag until the pledge is complete. The salute was discontinued because it resembled the Nazi-Fascist salute. The difference only being that the Nazi-Fascist saluted with the palm facing down.

Although it is not directed in the Code and is not considered bad form to omit the right hand being placed over the heart. Many schools prefer the gesture and local procedures should therefore, be observed in this regard. In uniform, it is appropriate to remain silent and render the military salute if outdoors. A male not in uniform should remove any headgear (if worn) and place the right hand over the heart and recite the pledge.

I'll post more as I find it.

[edit on 2008/7/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
[edit on 2008/7/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

The protocol you stated is interesting.
I guess I should say I am curious as to the "reason why" one in uniform has to remain silent. I looked for the reason for this via the internet but could not find any.

[edit on 7/10/2008 by liamoohay]

new topics

top topics

join