It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Briton faces jail after Dubai beach sex

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Excuse me for having an opinion, but throwing someone in jail for 4 YEARS for natural acts is completely and totally barbaric.

Bluntly, you live in a country that impeached a man for getting a BJ, in private, and went nuts when Janet Jackson exposed a nipple during a Superbowl Half Time show - and you are preaching about a country arresting someone for having sex on a public beach?

Get real.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Would they send you to jail for 4 years if you were caught walking down the street in Manhattan with a pistol in a holster on your hip in plain view?

I highly doubt it, and carrying a loaded weapon is not as harmless as performing lude acts on a secluded beach in the middle of the night. If you have to go to this much of an extreme to raise a sort of parrellel situation in the U.S., you know you are wrong. Strapping on a gun and walking around the city isn't exactly a natural act, it is asking for trouble.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Excuse me for having an opinion, but throwing someone in jail for 4 YEARS for natural acts is completely and totally barbaric.

Opinion is great.
So IN YOUR OPINION.
How much of that 'time' is for

a)lewd behaviour in a public place
b)drunk n disorderly
c)racial attack
d)assaulting a police officer

Or are you just trying to suggest it's only unfair because it was a muslim law unfamiliar with your own?

I want to be able to carry a fully loaded bazooka in US and UK in public.. I think it's unfair that I can't.. How ridiculous is that?..Bloody western laws..

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Actually, Bill was impeached by the house for supposedly lying under oath, and was found innocent by the Senate.

Janet Jackson flashed the entire nation kids and all, and didn't go to jail for 4 years.

Can you tell the difference?

From what I read the woman was found in a compromising position with her partner, and not flashing anyone or exposing herself to anyone. Got any evidence to back your claims? Even you can't justify the penalty without exaggerating the crime.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Would they send you to jail for 4 years if you were caught walking down the street in Manhattan with a pistol in a holster on your hip in plain view?

I don't have time to do research but from what I saw on the web you might indeed end up in jail. Will it be 4 years or less, I don't want to find out.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

reply to post by neformore

From what I read the woman was found in a compromising position with her partner, and not flashing anyone or exposing herself to anyone.

A 19 year boyfriend of a 17 year old woman, acting in complete privacy, is liable to get a major prison term. How's that?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Four years for any of this is barbaric, no matter what country gave such a penalty. Thirty days in jail should be the maximum, especially if no one was around except the arresting officer.

I certainly would never visit such a place.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Or how about a lifetime in Guantanamo bay for even suggesting something naughty

If I lived in a glass house POET I'd ..err.. won't get fooled again.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

It makes no difference.

Were you making such a big fuss over either of those? After all, BC's was directly related to him having some...relaxation, and JJ only showed a nipple, and we've all got those.

You're clutching at straws with this one. Really you are.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Yeah, well, four years in jail for a 19 year old being with a consenting 17 year old is barbaric as well. From my understanding, this is not something that happens, unless the 19 year old is a repeat offender.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I certainly would never visit such a place.

And there folks we have it in a nutshell..
The reason why most Americans don't have a passport.

The inability to follow anyone else's rules so play 'stay away'

When I get my own Island I'll make it an offence to wear Bikinis whilst playing beach ball..

Till then I guess I'll have to stick to whatever rules each and every country I visit imposes.
Dangittt ..42 and counting with no hassle..

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Like I said, neither BC or Janet went to jail for four years. You are the one clutching at straws.

Four years in jail for sex on the beach is barbaric, unless they were in the middle of a bunch of children. If no one else was around, it shouldn't even be a crime. At worse, they should be fined and kicked out of the country, and never allowed back in.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Yeah, well, four years in jail for a 19 year old being with a consenting 17 year old is barbaric as well.

OK, where do you draw the line?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Every country has its own specific set of laws. Just because a person doesn't happen to agree with some of these laws, doesn't give that person carte blanche in disregarding them.

There are consequences to be had for certain actions, as this particular individual has learned the hard way.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
From the linkl provided in the OP

Sex outside marriage is illegal in the UAE, as is cohabitation, adultery and homosexual behaviour.

Illegal. Get it? As in not allowed by law.

YOU may find that strange, but you don't live in the UAE.

The world is not the United States of America.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Yeah, there are a lot of very barbaric countries on this planet who do all kinds of crazy things to people for what ever reason their oppresive governments come up with. The more people who denounce these barbaric actions by these countries, the more likely we will be in eliminating these barbaric practices.

Whether a country is killing people for protesting for their rights, or caning someone for spitting gum on the sidewalk, or putting them in jail for having sex on the beach, the actions should be denounced.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

The bottom line is she flaunted and broke the laws of a foreign country, and she wasn't even discreet about it. Having sex on a public beach where moral codes are the norm, isn't quite the same as spitting gum on the sidewalk in Singapore.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Her case has sparked a storm of controversy among the many other British ex-pats living in Dubai,
...most of whom are incredulous at the prospect of anyone allegedly committing such a brazen breach of its laws

ITP, which employs some 600 staff representing over 20 nationalities in its Dubai-based operations, expects its staff to behave appropriately and properly in a manner consistent with the moral and cultural values of the society in which we all live and work.

'To this end the company gives its staff clear guidance regarding what is and what is not acceptable in the UAE environment when they join the company. Following an internal review of this incident, the company has dismissed Ms. Palmer.'

www.dailymail.co.uk...

So both standard public policies and company policies state what is considered inappropriate.

NO EXCUSE..!!!..

On that I'll tell you something for free..
Co-habitation,unmarried,homosexuality,prostitution,drugs..(and skinny dipping/smooching)

..are ALL practised in Dubai with widespread common knowledge of locals,police,government and ex-patriots..
So don't try and say it is a close-minded oppressive society..

These 'lifestyles' are accepted to a limited degree..only when flaunted in obvious public view do the authorities feel compelled to act.

C.I.D frequently do 'spot raids' on establishments to curb public drunkeness.under age drinking and prostitution..

AND it works.. Even though it is 'Party-Central' it's public image is still kept clean and family friendly .

I personally see no reason to change any of that to keep a few 'self appointed elitists' happy.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

sorry, but everyone knows Dubai is a serious country about their image. Poppy seeds are illegal there.
You learn the laws of a country before you visit, and you are a good tourist and you respect them.

I will respect people here from other nations who want me to take my shoes off at the door. np

If I were to visit a country that say, doesn't allow you to wear purple, I would not wear purple.

Besides, you are setting your self up as a tourist and making yourself a target for thieves and scandals.

If you really want to experience a culture, follow their rules.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
i wonder if she had one of those HOT dubai swimsuits...

not too long ago when i found out dubai even existed i was fascinated with the idea...definitely want to go there one day

[edit on 9-7-2008 by srtx781]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join