It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Embarrassed by single language Americans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

In a written statement under oath presented on Monday, Ben Barnes, a former speaker of the Texas state legislature, said that in 1968 he asked the head of the Texan Air National Guard, General James Rose, to give the young Mr Bush a place on a pilot-training programme, automatically excusing him from the draft.

source

During his answer to my debate question in 1994, Mr. Bush said he could have been called up for duty in Vietnam. He had to know that was not true, either. On his Guard application, the future president checked a box saying he did "not" want to be considered for overseas deployment. Additionally, he was hundreds of hours short of flight time required for foreign duty, and the aircraft he flew, the F-102 was no longer being used in Southeast Asia.

After being rejected once, Mr. Bush reapplied and was granted a transfer to a Guard unit in Montgomery, Alabama. But he never showed up for duty. Instead, he spent his days working on a U.S. Senate campaign for a family friend. During his own presidential campaign, Mr. Bush's staff showed reporters a tattered piece of paper, missing a last name, as proof he reported for duty in Alabama. But both the CO of the Alabama unit, and his administrative officer, said they have no record or memory of Mr. Bush showing up. Not one of the approximately 700 men in the Alabama unit has ever stepped forward to say they remember Mr. Bush serving with them.

"Had he reported in, I would have had some recall, and I do not," Commander William Turnipseed said. "If we had a first lieutenant from Texas, I would have remembered."

Nonetheless, Mr. Bush maintained his flight status until 1972, when he failed to show up for a required physical. His campaign initially said he did not return to Houston because his family physician was unavailable to conduct the physical. When it was made clear such exams are given by military doctors, the campaign then explained that Mr. Bush did not take the physical because he had "decided" he would no longer fly. This is a unique approach to military service when the enlistee gets to "decide" his future duties.
The year Mr. Bush skipped his physical, 1972, was also the first year the Guard began to institute random drug testing procedures.

Mr. Bush was grounded, his flight status revoked, and a punishment order was signed posting him to civilian duty in Denver. No evidence has ever been presented that he showed up there, either.

As the presidential campaign planning began in Texas, Lieutenant Colonel Bill Burkett of the Texas Guard said he overheard orders from the Governor's office to "scrub" Mr. Bush's records. Burkett said he listened as Joe Allbaugh and Dan Bartlett, both of whom went to Washington with the president, told Major General Daniel James, commander of the Texas Guard, to "make sure there is nothing embarrassing in the governor's file." Burkett, who was chief advisor to General James, also said he was present when the records were surrendered for scrubbing.

source

Bush is a draft dodger

I apologize flyersfan for derailing a perfectly good bash-obama thread. Carry on with your mud-slinging, its really great to keep up the partisan bickering.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
We have a whole different setup here in the USA as far as which languages are important to learn. SPANISH is. French is NOT.

The people along the northern border and in Louisiana would probably disagree with you.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
reply to post by Dronetek

In a written statement under oath presented on Monday, Ben Barnes, a former speaker of the Texas state legislature, said that in 1968 he asked the head of the Texan Air National Guard, General James Rose, to give the young Mr Bush a place on a pilot-training programme, automatically excusing him from the draft.

source

During his answer to my debate question in 1994, Mr. Bush said he could have been called up for duty in Vietnam. He had to know that was not true, either. On his Guard application, the future president checked a box saying he did "not" want to be considered for overseas deployment. Additionally, he was hundreds of hours short of flight time required for foreign duty, and the aircraft he flew, the F-102 was no longer being used in Southeast Asia.

After being rejected once, Mr. Bush reapplied and was granted a transfer to a Guard unit in Montgomery, Alabama. But he never showed up for duty. Instead, he spent his days working on a U.S. Senate campaign for a family friend. During his own presidential campaign, Mr. Bush's staff showed reporters a tattered piece of paper, missing a last name, as proof he reported for duty in Alabama. But both the CO of the Alabama unit, and his administrative officer, said they have no record or memory of Mr. Bush showing up. Not one of the approximately 700 men in the Alabama unit has ever stepped forward to say they remember Mr. Bush serving with them.

"Had he reported in, I would have had some recall, and I do not," Commander William Turnipseed said. "If we had a first lieutenant from Texas, I would have remembered."

Nonetheless, Mr. Bush maintained his flight status until 1972, when he failed to show up for a required physical. His campaign initially said he did not return to Houston because his family physician was unavailable to conduct the physical. When it was made clear such exams are given by military doctors, the campaign then explained that Mr. Bush did not take the physical because he had "decided" he would no longer fly. This is a unique approach to military service when the enlistee gets to "decide" his future duties.
The year Mr. Bush skipped his physical, 1972, was also the first year the Guard began to institute random drug testing procedures.

Mr. Bush was grounded, his flight status revoked, and a punishment order was signed posting him to civilian duty in Denver. No evidence has ever been presented that he showed up there, either.

As the presidential campaign planning began in Texas, Lieutenant Colonel Bill Burkett of the Texas Guard said he overheard orders from the Governor's office to "scrub" Mr. Bush's records. Burkett said he listened as Joe Allbaugh and Dan Bartlett, both of whom went to Washington with the president, told Major General Daniel James, commander of the Texas Guard, to "make sure there is nothing embarrassing in the governor's file." Burkett, who was chief advisor to General James, also said he was present when the records were surrendered for scrubbing.

source

Bush is a draft dodger

I apologize flyersfan for derailing a perfectly good bash-obama thread. Carry on with your mud-slinging, its really great to keep up the partisan bickering.

He was never drafted. Do you even know what a draft dodger is? I'll give you a clue, you have to be drafted! Christ you're dense.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
reply to post by SKMDC1

Then as a presidential candidate he should choose his words more carefully.Perhaps he should have said "I am embarrassed that we and myself included"

LOL... Yes, because that's how someone who's made their money from writing books and delivering eloquent speeches would phrase something.

In what universe does "We" not include oneself?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek

He was never drafted. Do you even know what a draft dodger is? I'll give you a clue, you have to be drafted! Christ you're dense.

OMG! ..hold on.. getting off the floor... must... stop.. laughing...

If you're drafted, you haven't dodged it very well.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Funny thing is, Dron

you keep pointing out the SAME inaccuracies in someone elses post, but avoid the grossly distorted post of your own, which was disected Here

care to comment?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The people along the northern border and in Louisiana would probably disagree with you.

I'm talking about the majority portion of this country.

When we were looking at a move to N. Vermont they only had French in their schools. We thought that was rather backwards.

The fact is that Spanish makes the most sense. That is what is usually taught K-8 nowadays. In high school and in 6-8 kids in this town have a choice of spanish, italian, greek ....

But economically and for common sense reasons Spanish is what Americans are learning as a second language. THAT is the language that is most used, behind English, in this country. THAT is what is most important, economically and socially, for Americans to learn. That is why it is in most of our schools now.

English has the highest return on investment. English is the world's second language. If you are French, Swiss, German, Chinese, Japanese, Norwegian, or even Saudi, you have to learn English to do business or to even play on the internet.

It's no use for Americans to take French, German or Italian if they are never going to use it or if they are just going to use it on a two week vacation someday. That's a total waste of time and resources. A phrase book works just as well for a two week trip.

So what we have from this story - IMHO - is that Barack Obama is easily embarrassed by what Europeans may be saying about American tourists; he doesn't understand what languages Americans need to learn and not to bother with; he doesn't realize that many people who travel ARE bilingual; and he does not understand economics.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

He was never drafted.

He was never drafted and therefore was never a draft dodger. Technically thats very true. However, some think that having your daddy get you out of combat service counts as 'dodging a draft'. I think the term 'dodged combat' would be much more accurate.

Not 'draft dodger'.
But 'combat dodger'.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

- What if my kid doesn’t want to learn Spanish? (she does … and is). English is the official language of this country and is ‘THE” international language (not French). She shouldn’t have to learn it if she doesn’t want to.

Don't mean to disappoint, but we don't have an official language here in the ol' USA. We have a majority of English speakers, yes, but no 'official' language.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I see nothing in there that says "white people are racist" or any derivative of the sort.

Hes saying that shes scared of black men (an assumption) and than he applies that to all white people with the "typical white" person comment.

But she is a typical white person, who, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn’t know, you know, there’s a reaction that’s been bred in our experiences that don’t go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way, and that’s just the nature of race in our society.

Translation: White people are scared of non-whites.

No where in there does he say anything about "white people". If you are INSINUATING that Obama is talking about White people, because he's talking about Pennsylvanians, then you are making the bigoted claim that only white people live in Pennsylvania. You dont want to be a bigot, do you?

Yeah, thats why the media kept saying he was "courting the middle class white vote in Pennsylvanian". Why are you defending what is obviously stereotypes? Why is he painting an entire culture as "bitter"?

But you take his quote out of context so bad, and add your own words, and leave out words that defeat your cause, to such a bigoted level, it must put shame and red blush on the cheeks of any intelligent conservative minded person anywhere.
He makes no mention of skin color....but you do?

You're the one not providing the whole quote:
www.cbsnews.com...

John McCain calls himself the underdog. I will simply point out, for reasons you might consider apparent, that I am the underdog,” Obama said.

What "apparent" reasons is he talking about?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

He was never drafted.

He was never drafted and therefore was never a draft dodger. Technically thats very true. However, some think that having your daddy get you out of combat service counts as 'dodging a draft'. I think the term 'dodged combat' would be much more accurate.

Not 'draft dodger'.
But 'combat dodger'.

The characterization that "his daddy got him out" is bull#. He signed up for the express purpose of combat in Vietnam!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
didn't Obama vote against making English the official language of the United States? I'm pretty sure I saw that somewhere when I was researching his record. I could be wrong.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander_Supertramp
We have a majority of English speakers, yes, but no 'official' language.

This thread discussed a bunch of that. What is official and what isn't. It's an old thread. But it still has some info on it.

He signed up for the express purpose of combat in Vietnam!

If he REALLY wanted to see combat I'm sure they would have sent him there - IMHO.

He signed up. He didn't dodge the draft. He dodged the combat.
The strings were pulled so he wouldn't have to go to war.
He followed the rules and laws of the land by going into the military.
So nothing illegal was done. But it WAS combat dodging.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander_Supertramp
We have a majority of English speakers, yes, but no 'official' language.

This thread discussed a bunch of that. What is official and what isn't. It's an old thread. But it still has some info on it.

He signed up for the express purpose of combat in Vietnam!

If he REALLY wanted to see combat I'm sure they would have sent him there - IMHO.

He signed up. He didn't dodge the draft. He dodged the combat.
The strings were pulled so he wouldn't have to go to war.
He followed the rules and laws of the land by going into the military.
So nothing illegal was done. But it WAS combat dodging.

Strings were pulled so that he could start a political career. Its not unusual in the USAF, much less the national guard. I just got done telling you I did the exact same thing and I don't have a special dad.

You guys are just making your own assumptions based on the fact you don't like Bush.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
didn't Obama vote against making English the official language of the United States? I'm pretty sure I saw that somewhere when I was researching his record. I could be wrong.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. I am not racist nor prejudice by any means, but there does seem to be a pattern emerging in minorities. People in minorities tend to grow a strong distate for the majority, and do things to prevent the majority from gaining power.

Personally I think it's better for a country to have an official language, that way there can be no confusement as to the language taught in schools, etc. Also, Obama is, in my opinion, a very naive, inexperienced man who just simply isn't ready for such a powerful position as POTUS.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Hes saying that shes scared of black men (an assumption) and than he applies that to all white people with the "typical white" person comment.

Emphasis on "assumption"

Translation: White people are scared of non-whites.

we dont need your biased translations which seem to derive from your "closet racism"

Yeah, thats why the media kept saying he was "courting the middle class white vote in Pennsylvanian". Why are you defending what is obviously stereotypes? Why is he painting an entire culture as "bitter"?

The media is saying. Not Obama. You mean to tell me you REALLY trust anything the media tells you?

You cannot give me one suitable comment about the underdog issue, you point to mccain

and you cannot touch on the second language issue, which i proved obama right with my two articles of information

funny

:shk:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
He did vote against English as an official language. I speak spanish and think English should be the official language. I also believe it is up to an individual if he or she desires to learn a second language. What is Obama's second language?

www.snopes.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
me and my wife have had long talk's about this subject.

ok if all us American migrate to Mexico which is Spanish speaking.

and flood there bordering state's ...till the point it's learn English or fall behind.

they wouldn't like it much.

fact is they come to American our main language is English...
they need to respect that and stop forcing our kid's to learn Spanish.
my 3 year old kid speak's more Spanish than i can.
thank's to dora the explorer..go diago go ect... cartoon show's.

can American's flood Russia and force them to learn English more and more till it start's to take's over there Russian language...NO Russia would try to kick our butt's

If They come here respect our country learn our language ..or get the fak out it's that simple.
i wouldn't be such a prick as to move to Mexico and tell them speak English or don't speak to me.
heck in California you have to be able to speak English and Spanish to work at public store's..
because 60% of the Mexican's can't speak English.

i say enough babying the Spanish community....give them a TIME FRAME to learn English or get out of the country.
American's should not be forced to have to learn there language when we did not leave our countries
they did.

Fact is immigrants must adapt..not the other way around folk's..

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

You cannot give me one suitable comment about the underdog issue, you point to mccain

Uhh, I posted the direct quote. You're just avoiding it, because you know I'm right.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
In Canada it's mandatory to take French in high school. It wasn't when I went, thus I didn't. I wish it had been though. You can never have enough education. It sure would have made last months trip to Montreal easier. Everyone spoke English but it would have been nice to converse in local tongue.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join