It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain flip-flops on Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   

The HuffingtonPost has a great article on John McCain and the Iraqi government's request for the US to set a time table for withdrawal.

For those who missed it, yesterday Iraq Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said:

The current trend is to reach an agreement on a memorandum of understanding either for the departure of the forces or a memorandum of understanding to put a timetable on their withdrawal...In all cases, the basis for any agreement will be respect for the full sovereignty of Iraq.

In 2004, John McCain was asked if he would withdraw from Iraq if asked:

Question: "What would or should we do if, in the post-June 30th period, a so-called sovereign Iraqi government asks us to leave, even if we are unhappy about the security situation there?"

McCain's Answer: "Well, if that scenario evolves than I think it's obvious that we would have to leave because -- if it was an elected government of Iraq, and we've been asked to leave other places in the world. If it were an extremist government then I think we would have other challenges, but I don't see how we could stay when our whole emphasis and policy has been based on turning the Iraqi government over to the Iraqi people."

Just moments ago the McCain campaign responded:

today, his top foreign policy adviser declined to criticize Maliki or distance McCain from him. And they sought to portray Maliki's comments as consistent with the Republican nominee's long-standing position.

"Senator McCain has always said that conditions on the ground -- including the security threats posed by extremists and terrorists, and the ability of Iraqi forces to meet those threats -- would be key determinants in U.S. force levels"

On Tuesday, McCain's campaign declined to respond directly to the question of whether he now supports the idea of setting a date for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from the country.

Speaking on MSNBC Tuesday morning, McCain said that "The fact is that we and the Iraqis will deal in what is in the national security interests of both countries. And there is no reason to assume that the Iraqis aren't going to act in what they perceive as their national interest. I believe we will enact ours and I believe we will all come home."

OOPS! Looks like a shift in position to me. They asked us to leave... his response: "well... umm... conditions on the ground are what matter most, not what they ask"

Remember: In 2004, John McCain said we would leave if asked.. now he seems to be ignoring that stance and conditions on the ground are what matter most.

Source:
flipfloptracker.blogspot.com...

Original article:
www.huffingtonpost.com...

So, Obama took a lot of heat for "flip-flopping" on Iraq and now John McCain is literally disagreeing with what he himself said four years ago.

I feel this will just add more fuel to the fire for those thinking of voting third party or not at all.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The only difference?

Obama's stance on Iraq never changed.

The neo-cons just trick some people into thinking it has.

BH has a few great videos that prove this. Its very easy.

The thing i see the neo-cons forgetting about, time and time again is

we have the internet today

so the 'traveling wagon' politican who stands on a church step and preaches freedom of religion to one crowd

and stands on a school lawn and preaches against religion to another crowd

are over.

John McCain is defining this very concept.

John McCain: PosterBoy for Flipology.

new topics

join