It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain joke: Kill Iranians with ciggies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azurus
I'm not naive at all. I'm perceptive enough to understand that he is probably smart enough to say those things only in private, if he does say them.

Ok, so you don't have a problem with what McCain said but just that he said it in public. So its ok if McCain would have said it in private. Is this correct? Plus you forget that there is no freedom of the press in Iran. Everything is controlled by the government. So even if Ahmed would have said something similar in public, you would never know about it.

And I don't think he hates American culture. In fact most of the populace of Iran is trying to embrace American culture, especially the younger Iranians who are the majority. Their president knows this. He has stated over and over again that he feels very strongly against our government, but I highly doubt he wished to kill innocent Americans.

Boy, you really are naive. The government of Iran is 'old school'. They hate American culture and they have stated over and over that they want to destroy America. All of it and not just the government. You are exactly the person they are targeting with their propaganda because it appears to be working. Their propaganda is meant for the naive and gullible.

The youth in Iran does embrace American culture and that is why the U.S. still allows trade of consumer goods to Iran. The problem is you are condusing the good will of the people with the radical islamic regime of the government.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Is it just me or has anyone else tired of the faceless killing. And rumor of war.
I believe to many have spent too much time with their ps3s and world of warcraft.
We go on Iran, I guarantee you we will see some funny looking 'contrails' in the sky preluded by some very loud hot bangs.
Obama has really been pissing me off lately. He is, in my opinion bought and sold as well.
Write in for Kucinich now is my only choice.
This isn't saber rattle anymore, this is real life Jericho coming to a town near you.

[edit on 7/9/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
This doesn't bother me at all. He was clearly joking and he immediately said so with a straight face. I'm tired of stick-in-the-mud politicians that act like robots.

What do you guys want? One minute, you want a real human being with a real personality and not some robotic, phony politician. Then, when the politician shows a sense of humor and makes a wise-crack like a normal person (and don't ANY of you act like you've never told a joke 100 times worse), you get all bent out of shape and say he's acting improperly.

YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS! WHAT DO YOU WANT? A STICK-IN-THE-MUD OR A PERSONABLE, REALISTIC HUMAN BEING?

Humor's the best emotion out there at connecting people together. There's nothing better than a little joke at easing the tension, breaking the ice and relaxing/having a good time. Lighten up.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

And this comes just a few months after McCain spoke out against Obama when Obama was talking about hostile action against Iran. What a hypocrit! I believe I recall McCain saying "Bomb bomb bomb.. Bomb bomb Iran." recently during a speech he was given to war veterans. And then he ridicules Obama for basically saying the same thing?

Which is it, Bombs or diplomacy? Make up your mind!

-ChriS

[edit on 10-7-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I love all of this big talk about how America should say and do whatever they want and they shouldn't care what the rest of the world thinks (burdman in particular saying this). You have proven that you have zero understanding of the nature of this supposed War on Terror the US is in.

See, according to Bush and everyone else in congress, the terrorists attacked the US because they hated our way of life, and our freedoms. The administration wants us to think that these people are savages and brutes that don't care for anyone else in the world, and that the US is the is a shining beacon of hope. Yet your suggestion would seem to prove otherwise, your version of the US isn't hopeful, its a tyrannical government that does whatever they want and says whatever they want, and don't care what anyone has to say about it.

But heres why your "patriotism" is a real problem. This administration has said over and over that this war can't be won without several things, and among them are the following two, getting help from our allies and winning the hearts and minds of people from these countries, particularly Muslims.

How are you suggesting keeping allies or winning the hearts and minds of these people when you say we should just say screw them and do whatever we want? Or are you suggesting that the administration is wrong, and we don't need allies? Tell that to the thousands (if not more) of new soldiers from the US that would have to go to war without the help of allies. Or maybe there is no room for concern for the troops in your view of "patriotism".

On McCains comments specifically, isn't it hypocritical of him to be on this band wagon of we need to win hearts and minds, and then say something like this? Even if everyone here has thick skin, doesn't he know how the people of Iran (even the ones that supposedly support the US) are going to look at this. I find it difficult to believe that the average Iranian, who is probably worried to death that the US may attack would find humor in this statement.

Its not funny because lives are at stake! Its a very tenuous situation, and the fate of millions of people hang in the balance. There is ZERO room for a POTUS candidate to be joking about this. Its disrespectful to the people of Iran, and its disrespectful to any soldier from the US that may in the future be sent over there to fight.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Grambler

I agree, Grambler.

All the flag waving in this thread was making me see stars and stripes before my eyes.

Patriotism = obeying orders and ransacking foreign borders, without question? Hmmm...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
...I thought it was funny...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
hehe...

Kinda funny... like the "Bomb Iran" song, kinda funny...

But, Bush is pretty Funny too, and that hasnt worked out too well...

Heres where it gets intresting though, why is McCain doing this?

I mean, is he just waking up, and forgeting that he is running for POTUS?
Or, does he have a Judus/Brutus advising him?
Or is he just slipping into that stage of life where he is becoming senile, and just has no idea whats going on?

So, kinda funny... but... realy not much else...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grambler
On McCains comments specifically, isn't it hypocritical of him to be on this band wagon of we need to win hearts and minds, and then say something like this? Even if everyone here has thick skin, doesn't he know how the people of Iran (even the ones that supposedly support the US) are going to look at this. I find it difficult to believe that the average Iranian, who is probably worried to death that the US may attack would find humor in this statement.

First of all, great Post, Grambler. Second, imho, all those who advise Iranians get a thick skin when listening to McCain's plans to exterminate them, have a thick skull.

McCain is in fact helping the radical agenda by promoting the image of the US as a global tyrant which doesn't think twice about killing a population somewhere. He's betrayed the US for his campaign's political expediency.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Grambler

Excellent post. Words of wisdom my friend.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Ok, so you don't have a problem with what McCain said but just that he said it in public. So its ok if McCain would have said it in private. Is this correct?

I could care less what he says in private. It's none of my business, and he won't get my vote in November. He has absolutely no diplomatic tact and this is just one more example proving it. In these times having tact and calm rational thinking is very important and McCain has neither.

They hate American culture and they have stated over and over that they want to destroy America. All of it and not just the government. You are exactly the person they are targeting with their propaganda because it appears to be working. Their propaganda is meant for the naive and gullible.

What propanda are you referring to sir? I'm unaware of any psychological operations that have infiltrated the American public from Iran. If you are referring the "letter", we have already partially discussed that.

By whom and when was it stated that Iran wants to "destroy all of America, not just the government" ? That sounds like wild speculation or rumour (fear mongering) to me, because if it was true there would be many implications. Who is really being naive here? Don't be so afraid of the world. The only people that want to destroy America are extremist Muslim Jihadists. You are being very naive if you think that is mainly what Iran is composed of. Yes the administration there is "conservative". They are traditional and do frown on many of our cultural freedoms that for them seem wordly and not holy, yet that doesn't justify destroying America. Islam is a religion centered on peace. Just as in here in America we have some people who would like nothing more than for us to turn Iran into glass (ignorance), so too does Iran have people who would like to see America destroyed (ignorance). There is no getting away from that my friend. There are ignorant people in every nation.

"The most violent element in society is ignorance" - Emma Goldman

[edit on 10-7-2008 by Azurus]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

What propanda are you referring to sir? I'm unaware of any psychological operations that have infiltrated the American public from Iran.

Well, that makes it even worse since you don't even realize you have fell for it hook, line and sinker. If you cannot see it, then all hope is lost for you and you must be considered a war statistic.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

What propanda are you referring to sir? I'm unaware of any psychological operations that have infiltrated the American public from Iran.

Well, that makes it even worse since you don't even realize you have fell for it hook, line and sinker. If you cannot see it, then all hope is lost for you and you must be considered a war statistic.

That's some serious paranoia going on here. Get a shrink.

Nobody here likes Iran or Iranians too much, in case your ignorant mind didn' notice that. It's a totally different thing, however, to call for slaughter of these people on a grand scale. We, the civilized Americans, don't do that. Your mileage will obviously vary.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
That's some serious paranoia going on here. Get a shrink.

Yes, he should considering the way the Iranian propaganda has affected the poster.

Nobody here likes Iran or Iranians too much, in case your ignorant mind didn' notice that.

Really?
I guess your feeble, gullible and ignorant brain did not comprehend all the pro-Iran threads on this forum. Especially the one with all the pretty landscapes of Iran with comments like Iran is such a beautiful country and they only want to be left alone......blah....blah....

We, the civilized Americans, don't do that. Your mileage will obviously vary.

By 'we' you mean the appeasers and people with their head stuck in the sand. Thank God my mileage does vary. Whew!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

This sounds like a desparate attempt to evade the debate. If you can't provide any insight on to what type of "Iranian propaganda" you are referring to then it really doesn't give you too much credibility in your arguement.

I know a lot about how propaganda works, and I believe you are a victim of it. I'm still open to suggestions that I am too, but I would like to see some reasoning along with your accusation.

I base everything I know, including my opinion of Iran, on actual events and facts that can be verified through many different sources, so I'm not sure how I could be affected any differently even if there was some type of propaganda campaign.

I think the propaganda which is affecting you is the constant spreading of rumours, hand-picked contextual news, fear, and purposefully caused dissent among American citizens through our major media outlets regarding the issue of Iran being a serious threat to America, therfore justifying and supporting obvious impending military action.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

This sounds like a desparate attempt to evade the debate. If you can't provide any insight on to what type of "Iranian propaganda" you are referring to then it really doesn't give you too much credibility in your arguement.

Look, all someone has to do is read the posts, then it become obvious. The problem is that you don't want to admit that you have been fooled by the Iranian propaganda. Its evident over the many threads in this forum but if you want one from this specific thread, here is one:

In fact, he wouldn't make that type of joke. He has stated that he respects the American populace, just not their administration

Obviously you believe the comments of the Iranian president. It is very naive to think he cares about anything American. Everything that comes out of the Iranian government is for American propaganda purposes and you keep falling for it.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I see what you are getting at and it's the only phrase on this whole thread where you will be able to tie-in any type of "propaganda-like" statement to me , but the fact remains that you have no reason to indicate that his statement was a lie. How do you base that? Intuition? Gut feeling? Atleast he isn't making jokes about killing Americans.

He has never proven to me through his actions, manners, or rhetoric that he disproves of American citizens. The fact that he came to speak at an American college, despite how ridiculous it was, should indicate something. Why would he waste his time with pointless speeches if he hates the Americans in general?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

He has never proven to me through his actions, manners, or rhetoric that he disproves of American citizens. The fact that he came to speak at an American college, despite how ridiculous it was, should indicate something. I think if he really hated the American populace just as much as the administration I doubt he would do that.

This entire paragraph shows how naive you are. I am not saying this to be rude or anything but its totally obvious. His entire speaking at the university thing was nothing but a propaganda event. That is why he did it. Do get people like yourself on his side to make him seem like a cute, cuddly, honest and respectable person. Everything he said in that speech was propaganda. That is why he did it. He did it for propaganda purposes to sway peoples minds. Nothing he said in that speech was true or how he really felt.

He disproves or hates America, its government and its citizens. Hell, he was one of the kidnappers when Iran took all those hostages some years ago.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Oh come on man.... I know the visit to the states was propaganda, and it doesn't change my opinion on anything. Did you not read where I said "despite how ridiculous it was" and "pointless" ? I don't believe a word he said, but what I don't understand is that you can't provide me any evidence or arguments backing up your accusations about the guy. You just keep going around in loops stating what you think is propaganda without anything backing it up.

He was invited to Columbia University by a history professor there. I'm suprised he even has the cohones to even set foot here more or less give Americans a speech saying we are kept in the dark about the rest of the world.

I'm not as naive as you think, but accusing me of being the victim of Iranian propaganda doesn't prove anything regarding the nature of Ahmadinejad himself, nor his feelings or goals regarding Americans. It only proves what is still debateable.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Are you referring to the hostage crisis in 1980? Where in history did he ever get accused of being a kidnapper in that? Was he even a student at the time? I'm just curious.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join