It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain joke: Kill Iranians with ciggies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'll remind you...

Right, I can see that you read your encyclopedia sets.

Well, we'll skip past the Gulf of Tonkin false flag incident, pretend it never happened but my question still remains...

What threat did the Vietnamese army pose to US borders? About as much then as the Afghan or Iraqi armies pose now. About as much threat as the Iranian army poses to the US now? For some reason those guerrilla wars must be great for testing new weapons and reaping profits for the defence contractors.

McCain fought as a pawn, like he was told to do. He wasn't defending any US freedoms.

If he is such a defender of rights and freedoms, then can we expect him to repeal every one of Bush's draconian laws? I doubt it. The US government has taken more rights and freedoms from its own citizens, than the commies could ever have hoped to achieve.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by tezzajw]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Alright.

I may not like John McCain for POTUS

I may not like John McCain for singing like a canary in his POW camp

but this sort of mentality is what is wrong with most vietnam vets today. They came home to a country that loathed them - for no reason.

Be pissed off at the government. Calling them "pawns" is a name you could give them by pure definition, but is a name out of spite, so it seems. He wasnt defending freedoms? Not of the American people - no, you are correct. But he was doing what he was told. What would you have him do? Throw his rifle to the ground and run to canada?

Oh - those people are called "draft dodgers" and they get ridiculed for not being patriotic enough.

I think it's possible to concentrate on McCains complete lack of intelligence, without insulting the American military as a whole.

Without the American military as it were, and is today, we'd all be speaking Russian, or some derivative of. Ive never been in the military, i'll never serve in the military, and i say that for my very own reasons, and not a single one of them is a lack of respect.

Just my opinion, however.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
He wasnt defending freedoms? Not of the American people - no, you are correct. But he was doing what he was told.

Yeah, isn't that my point?

I've got nothing against the old Vietnam Vets, sure they were doing what they were told to do. In other words, they were pawns. Like it or not, they were pawns, peons, tools, whatever you wish to call them. I knew a couple of Aussies who served in the Vietnam war as well. They too, were pawns. Like it, or not.

You agree that he wasn't defending US freedoms, which was my point. He wasn't responsible for his country putting him there, he was only doing what he was told.

Here's my point: If they were not defending US freedoms, then what the hell were they doing there?

Anyway, this really isn't a Vietnam thread, so I'll drop it. I was only highlighting that McCain was not fighting for US freedoms in Vietnam, as some people in this thread might seem to think. The rights and wrong of that can be argued elsewhere. Sure, McCain might have been a 'war hero', but it's not like he protected any of your freedoms, as they're slowly being taken away today with such little resistance.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
It's absolutely appauling to me that McCain would say something like this. There is nothing to joke about when you talk about killing innocent people in Iran.

I can't believe what the world is coming to, and I am suprised that there are people who don't understand the value of human life.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
We REALLY need a guy with a sense of humor in there. Personally, I would use sarcasm. When McCain comes out with this stuff, I actually think there is still hope, since humor is a sign of intelligence, BUT...

I seem to remember smoking is against sharia law. Maybe I'm wrong, but we would be killing the WRONG guys with cigs. Maybe the plan is to get them addicted and then take them away with some meaningful sanctions. Would that spark the internal tensions we would like?

I also remember a report that Iraqi support for al-queda was diminished because of their "no smoking" policy. So, every Iraqi/Iranian kid who is takes up smoking ain't joining al-queda. We should draft Joe Camel if that's the case. What's better, to die at 50 from cigs, or from a suicide belt at 22?

I originally came to ATS today to check on CNN reports of Iranian shelling northern Iraq. And the US consulate in Turkey had a shootout. It will truly take 100 years to win this war if we are using cigarettes.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
sorry for double posting....

Let's get them addicted and then crank up the price to $20 per pack. Give the speculators something to speculate on besides oil.....

Every hurricane could drive the price up a couple bucks

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

In case you are unaware - the Aussies were in SE Asia before the USA as "military observers" we were there originally as "military advisors" as early as 1948.

I see no reason the Iranians should be denied any trade good that is available to the rest of the world. And yes, lung cancer is viewed differently there as well. As an individual choice to increase the risk is a personal liberty.

This is much ado about nothing - if this was presented as a skit on Saturday Night Live it would be well received.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kerontehe

This is much ado about nothing - if this was presented as a skit on Saturday Night Live it would be well received.

The issue is not about exporting cigarettes, it's about the "joke" McCain made, and I strongly disagree with you sir.

It says a lot about the character and idealism of John McCain by what he considers a joke. Joking about killing Iranians is not really a joke at all under any circumstance in my book unless you are a fascist neocon. Joking about getting the president of Iran hooked on smoking maybe would be a better percieved "joke". The president of Iran has said he has nothing against Americans, only the Bush Administration. McCain generalizing killing the Iranian people with cigarettes is foolish and shows his careless perception of the whole matter.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Azurus]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I thought the same thing. McCain really has a quick wit.

It's quite remarkable that you find his dimwitted joke a sign of a quick wit. Quite telling.

The real story here is not that we now have some stupid, meaningless reason to bash McCain

The real story is that McCain (a major political figure, effectively representing the US, and not some drunkard in a bar) professed his fantasy of "killing Iranians" by all means possible. That's some diplomacy.

we are doing our best to provide the oppressed Iranian people with the basic necessities of life.

If McCain said "I just want these Iranian folks to have a nice smoke of some of the best Virginia tobaccos", I would have agreed with you. He, however, said he's planning to kill them. How can you be so hypocritical to yourself, Grady?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I was ignorant of the fact that McCain suffered extensive facial nerve injury. Apology to Mr. McCain and any members I may have offended.
With that said, does a nominee who had his head used as a football for five years automatically deserve preferential treatment for obvious lapses in judgement.
America is not hell bent for war with Iran. Some congress and senate are.
To joke...about the killing is even more ominous.

[edit on 7/9/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Why is that almost everyody that i read about in American politics seems to be either:

A) an idiot

B) A warmonger

C) psychotic

Do american politicians get bred in a special vat or something?

How would you guys like it if other potential leaders joked about Americans dying of cancer or heart attacks or the like...

And no, not all muslims are against smoking, my ex housemate used to drink Jack daniels, smoke benson and hedges and he was a british muslim.

Stopy typecasting please.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
[oops double post - i must be punished]

[edit on 9-7-2008 by mr-lizard]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
It was a joke!
Some of you here really need to get a sense of humor. Some of the funniest jokes ever make fun of current events or serious issues. Besides, some of you complaining about the joke are the same people who complain that most politicians seem like robots and wish they were more like 'normal' citizens. So please get over yourself because it was a joke. Big deal.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
It was a joke!
Some of you here really need to get a sense of humor. Some of the funniest jokes ever make fun of current events or serious issues. Besides, some of you complaining about the joke are the same people who complain that most politicians seem like robots and wish they were more like 'normal' citizens. So please get over yourself because it was a joke. Big deal.

Okay here's a joke or three...

Q: What was the last thing going through Mr. Jones' head when he was working on the World Trade Center's 90th floor?
A: The 91st floor.

Q: What does the WTC stand for?
A: What trade centre?

Q: What was the last ever pizza order in the WTC?
A: Two planes...

See, offensive and tasteless (Oh and if i'm gonna be warned by the mod's, i'm posting these jokes to see how offensive some can be).

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
See, offensive and tasteless

That is your problem if you find them offensive and tasteless.
I do not find them offensive and tasteless. They are jokes. Big deal.

I guess it's different when people defend the arts. Like when 'artists' show the crucifix in urine. People would defend it even though some might find it offensive and tasteless.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Tasteless maybe, offensive, eh. But then again I have something called "skin" and don't offend very easily. Seems like Americans are losing their "skins" more and more frequently... or at least there seems to be a phenomena in which those who have lost their "skin" become louder and more obnoxious over time, making it appear like they are part of a larger crowd.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It's no secret either that radical Islam want's to destroy the West and kill us all (the radical extremists want this like Bin Laden etc.).

Iran's government is a radical Islamic Theocracy that thinks they're going to host the next coming of the IMAM. In order to this, havoc must be created, Iran must be what's left and most powerful etc. Look up "IMAM + Iran" to find out all about this lovely prophecy.

I think McCain is implying that Bush is tough on Iran publicly, but they are training and funding militias to kill our soldiers.

So McCain says, maybe we'll "kill them the Cigarettes" because in spite of the tough talk between the two nations, we are supplying them buttloads of Cigarettes.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

How about google 'right wing american revelations'

Am i right in saying many christians are praying for the rapture and other BS?

Jeez, they're all as bad as each other.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

I do not find them offensive and tasteless. They are jokes. Big deal.

Of course you wouldn't. You aren't on the recieving end. If Chris Rock made the joke, it would probably be okay, but it's a potential candidate for the next president of our country.

What if the president of Iran made a "joke" about killing Americans. That wouldn't be funny now would it? In fact, he wouldn't make that type of joke. He has stated that he respects the American populace, just not their administration (aka. the Bush Administration).

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Azurus]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azurus
Of course you wouldn't. You aren't on the recieving end. If Chris Rock made the joke, it would probably be okay, but it's a potential candidate for the next president of our country.

Give me a break! As burdman said in a previous post, get some thicker skin man! How is it that people have become so sensitive and PC? Are you guys out there nothing but a bunch of little girls? Geesh!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join