It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LASCO C2 Can Anyone help me out on this one?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I have a question about these images, I cannot seem to find any information on what appears to be oscillations of the sun at a certain time. 20:54 and 20:58 everyday. I assume it is everyday but I have only went back to July 3rd. Anyways here are the images:

This one is from the fifth and the following go in order until the 7th:

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Kdial1

[edit on 8-7-2008 by kdial1]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Maybe due to the rotation?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   
haha oops, me again! Please note this image as well:

July 2nd..

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
And that would seem to be Venus.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by theaddj

Yeah I am talking about the ripples around the blackout they have on the LASCO C2 camera. If you notice it only ripples at a certain time.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
OK, yeah they're like ripples in a pond.. My guess is that it's the magnetic field lines and a CME, but I'm no expert..

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

It appears to be diffraction rings passing around the coronagraph's circular blocking disc. It's not unlike the airy disk feature seen around stars in normal amateur telescopes. It's always there, it's just not always noticeable. It's most noticeable when the corona is brighter, probably because it's the light from where the corona meets the solar disk that is causing the diffraction. I cheched a bunch of random images at full resolution on the SOHO site, it's there in all of them, but it's only noticeable where the sun's corona is "illuminating" it from behind. It's possible that when the corona is bright enough it causes the diffraction ripples to appear all around the circular disk because there's enough light to go around. That seems to be the common theme in your images.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by ngchunter]

new topics

top topics

join