It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shell Perdido Oil Platform Creature

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
its weird how the camera jerks around and focuses on a can at the end...
dont you think a camera down there would have a set path
back n forth type stuff?

it does look really really realistic though

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
that
thing
looks
DELICIOUS!

great find! i haven't seen one of these yet and i'm very into sea creatures.
kudos!

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
article said that the arms are used as a spider web to catch small fish and the like. to me it looks like a cross between a jelly fish and a squid.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The best part are the comments. Their spelling skills are top notch........not

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
www.mbari.org...

MOSS LANDING, California—MBARI remotely operated vehicle Tiburon recorded observations of an unknown species of squid during dives off the coast of Oahu in May 2001

creepy looking thing for sure

www.mbari.org...

movie of the ROV finding a small one chilling at the sea floor then swimming off

[edit on 8-7-2008 by robertfenix]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I am reminded of the movie The Abyss.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by robertfenix

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Wow, great find. Nice to see something new. Man, it sure looks creepy. Makes me want to go swimming....Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

"There's almost nothing down there we can't do," he says, "and we see all sorts of cool stuff." Later, as he raises the ROV to the surface, he plays back video he's shot of huge rays ghosting through the deep and a squid dangling long pink tentacles.

eighth paragraph.

www.popularmechanics.com...

Well done! It seems our anonymous reader also confirmed the video may be from the "Shell Perdido Oil Platform", although I think the proper name is "Noble Clyde Boudreaux"...? (Unfortunately I know nothing about Oil Rigs, so I have no idea what/where/why...)

Now, if only you were a member I could have applauded you.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reminds me of the aliens from WAR OF THE WORLDS

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeros

Wow, thats creepy, and beatuiful at the same time, our they watching it? Or is it watching them?

Off-topic: Does anyone know the music used in that video? I like it

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
THAT is why I don't go in the water at the beach. You never know what's in that water.

Nevermind about the hammerheads patroling off shore, how about at the drop off? Jeeze!

What's the phobia of unknown sea creatures? I've got it! That video scared the hell out of me!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I work in the offshore oil industry and work with companies that do this type of ROV work. Everything about this video makes perfect sense. Usually these videos are returned to a client on DVD and sit on a shelf forever after viewing. Somebody within the company either Shell or Fugro or whomever was the ROV contractor found this interesting and decided to post it to the web. Shell's Perdido is one of the worlds deepest SPAR production facilities and everything displayed on screen is legit. I have seen weird creatures show up on videos we've dealt with and its very fascinating.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

A buddy of mine works off-shore running supply boats for the rig, shell oil company that is. i haven't seen your copy, but mine looks REAL. I know the captain pretty, looking for more info myself. glad to see somebody else has caught the footage, thought i was seeing things at first

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Found this on Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org...

and one other site
zipcodezoo.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Someone asked what the connection was with "Shell Perdido" well here it is:

The video in discussion was captured by the Perdido "ROV" (remote operated vehicle) during the well / manifold crunstruction phase. This work is still on-going but our current focus is topsides construction. The ROV caught the Big Fin squid on video and YouTube had it the next day I guess.... nothing top-secret just a cool looing fish caught by some Shell subsea construction hands. I'm the top-sides commissioning engineer and we think it's really cool too. Better yet, we will be in production (we hope) by Nov 09 and the ROV's willbe flying the lines checking integrity, lets hope to see some more cool stuff....

L.M.
Shell Perdido
Ingleside Texas

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by prototism

The creature is known as a bigfin squid of the genus Magnapinna and family Magnapinnidae. It's very rare to see video of it and to date no actual specimen of it has been caught, so almost nothing is known about it.

I work on a deep sea research project known as the SERPENT project and we have our very own video of a similar squid along with a whole host of other weird and wonderful creatures. Visit the site at www.serpentproject.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Id be skeptical on this one; the face to me looks a little bit animated, but what ever :p

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
That's some real cool footage
I hope its not faked,you can fake anything these days...

Spike

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
very nice a bigfin squid caught on camera this would be just the second or so time one was caught this way on film alive....looks as though it is hunting by dangling its tentacles below. Looks strange due to the fact that at 7000 feet the pressure is so great it distorts flesh (compression) very cool

[edit on 24-10-2008 by centralscrutinizer]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join